- Text Size +
Story Notes:

My first Office fic :) No spoilers!

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The orginal characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no away associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringment is intended.

The doors open and there she is. 

He can hear the collective gasp throughout the church when all eyes land on Pam. 

And she is beautiful. 

He has heard that all brides shine on their wedding day, that they are all visions in white. But those terms just aren’t good enough for Pam.  

Jim wishes he was a poet or a painter because he’s pretty sure it’s moments like these that inspire creations that are revered throughout the ages. 

 &&&&&&&&& 

She is halfway down the aisle. 

Pam is smiling but the worry that washes quickly over her face does not go unnoticed by Jim.  

Jim remembers seeing her panic on her first day at work. She had been there forty-five minutes and things were already going terribly. Michael suggested she let loose and unbutton the top of her blouse. Dwight insisted she sign a declaration of allegiance to Dunder-Mifflin, Scranton Branch. And Creed mentioned that she was not bad looking, and was her mother in a serious relationship? 

As Pam settled behind the receptionist desk, Jim saw the apprehension in her eyes. 

So Jim walked over and leaned on the ledge of her desk. She looked at him wearily and her hands clutched the sides of her chair, as if bracing herself for the worst. 

Jim chuckled and raised his hands up in surrender, “Hey, hey! Relax, I’m Jim Halpert and I’m here to help you.”  

Pam’s eyes softened and she loosened her grip on the chair. 

Jim treated her to lunch that day, and it was over a shared small pizza that Jim knew. 

He knew. 

&&&&&&&&& 

She is just a few steps away.

And all Jim wants to do is to reach out to her, tell her that she is beautiful, that he loves her and only her and that it will be for always. 

&&&&&&&&& 

She’s finally reached him.  

Only his name is Roy and Jim, from his aisle seat in the second row (bride’s side), can only stare as Pam’s father slips her hand into Roy’s. 

In this very instant, Jim feels his every dream slip away, away, away

&&&&&&&&&  

The priest is saying something about love and forever and Jim is fighting with the very large knot that has formed in his stomach.  

A hushed voice to his left interrupts the struggle. 

“Say the word and this wedding is over.” 

Jim looks over and a grave Michael Scott has parted his jacket slightly to reveal a yellow walkie-talkie taped to the inside lining. Michael then tilts his head towards a nearby Dwight. Jim notices a similar rectangular bulge underneath his co-worker’s coat. 

And as annoying and bizarre Michael often is, no one can fault him for his fierce loyalty to those he considers his best friends. And even though it is disturbing that Michael and Dwight came with a deliberate strategy to stop the wedding, Jim cannot help but feel touched.  

Jim gives Michael a wry smile, who in turn offers a big grin as he pats the device under his jacket fondly.  

Just say the word.” 

&&&&&&&&& 

This is his Last Chance. 

“If anyone has reason why these two should not be wed, speak now or forever hold your peace.” The priest pauses and looks around the church.  

Pam and Roy do the same, as do their wedding guests. 

Except for Dwight Schrute, who steadily looks at Michael Scott. 

Except for Michael Scott, who anxiously watches Jim Halpert. 

And except for Jim Halpert, who tightly shuts his eyes. 

Jim swears that time has slowed down or stopped or maybe even reversed a little because it feels like his eyes are closed for nearly an eternity.  

But Jim finally opens his eyes. 

Opens them. 

And when he does, he has made his decision.     

 

 

&&the end.



wonder149 is the author of 4 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans