- Text Size +
Story Notes:

A special Thank You to the brilliant Becky215, for being the beta on this story. 

I also want to thank sedimentary who was the source of the quote which inspired this story. :)

I own nothing except a cute little Coach purse.   

 

Jim pulls into the garage and turns off his car.  The evening air feels quiet and peaceful.  He takes a deep breath, relieved that the work week is over and smiles to himself before going inside. 

He enters the house quietly from the garage and steps into the darkened family room where Pam is sitting silently with their baby cradled in her arms.  The TV is on, but the volume is so low, he can’t make out what she’s watching, or if in fact she is actually really watching at all.   

He drops his keys into the bowl that sits on the small table, places his bag on the floor next to it and walks over to where they are nestling. 

He smiles at Pam. She looks up and smiles back.  He crouches down in front of her.  “Hi.” 

“Hey.” 

“How are my girls?” he asks while softly placing his hand on top of his daughter’s head.  Pam lightly strokes his cheek and gives him a warm kiss on his mouth. 

“We’re doing fine.  I think she’ll be out soon.  I made spaghetti.  It’s in the oven and it should still be warm.” 

“Did you eat yet?”  

“No...not yet. I thought I’d wait for you and besides…”  She looks down at her full arms and gestures with her head to the bundle in her lap. 

Jim smiles again and heads upstairs to change out of his suit.  He comes back down in faded jeans and a comfortable T-shirt, his bare feet easing across the hardwood as he heads to the kitchen for two glasses of red wine.  He hands one glass to his wife and quickly takes a sip from his before placing it on the coffee table and heading back into the kitchen. 

He returns balancing a big bowl of spaghetti in his hands while also holding two forks and two napkins.  He places everything down on the table next to his wine and joins Pam on the sofa.  He leans his head back and closes his eyes for a minute. 

“Are you tired?” she asks him resting her head on his shoulder. 

He breathes in and lets it out through his nose.  “Mmmmm…” he murmurs,  “…a little.”  They sit like this a moment longer then he reaches over to the table and carefully twirls some pasta onto a fork.  He hands it to Pam as she frees one of her hands.  He then helps himself.  He didn’t realize how hungry he was until just then.    

“Anything good on TV tonight?” 

“I don’t know. We’re not really watching.  I just had it on for a little background noise.” 

He flips through the channels and finds a Phillies game, but keeps the volume turned down low. As they finish eating, Jim glances over at his daughter “I think she’s out.” 

“Do you want to hold her a while before she goes down?” 

“Sure.”  He stands and Pam gently hands the baby over to him.  He scoops her up and holds her close.  She looks so small and safe tucked into his large arms.  He walks slowly toward the nearby bassinet, kissing the top of her head, gently rocking her back and forth before placing her into the small, cozy cradle. 

Pam carries the dishes into the kitchen, rinses them and sets them in the drain board.  She hurries back and cuddles up next to Jim on the sofa.  “You know, next Friday I can see if my mom will watch her.  We can go out if you want.” 

“Maybe.”  He smiles. “But this is really nice too.”   

 



Abigail is the author of 8 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 10 members. Members who liked While She Rocks Their Baby to Sleep also liked 2578 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans