- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This story comes from a crazy idea that I have about Jim and Pam being married when Season 4 starts.  I don't read spoilers, so I don't know what our two lovebirds will be up to come September.  Thanks to sedimentary and everyone over at JAM Therapy for encouraging me to do this.  Also, thanks to the great time4moxie for being my beta and taking time out of her vacation to do so.  You rock, moxie!
Author's Chapter Notes:

This chapter lets us in on what's been happening since "The Job".

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

Jim stared at his computer screen.  He was focusing intently at something.  But, as he peeked around his shoulder, he noticed the camera pointing at him and quickly minimized the screen.  He glanced over at Pam and smirked.  She blushed and lowered her head.  Something was going on between Jim Halpert and Pam Beesly.

 

It had been 3 months since Jim and Pam’s official first date.  Their first night out as a couple had been awkward and thrilling and overwhelming all at once.  Dinner was punctuated with shy looks and blushful pauses.  It took a while for the once best friends to reconnect, but by the time dessert was served Pam’s laughter could be heard across the restaurant.  Their evening was sealed with a kiss on Pam’s doorstep.

 

The 2nd date was a lot more relaxed.  It was pizza and Fargo at Jim’s place.  They got to know each other a little better on Jim’s couch and the walls that had been erected between the two of them to hide pain and hurt and guilt slowly crumbled.

 

Jim and Pam spent their 3rd date at Pam’s apartment.  Pam cooked Jim dinner and they laughed over wine and lasagna.  As the light began to fade in Pam’s living room, they slowly swayed to songs playing on Pam’s ipod.  Jim didn’t go home that night.

 

The 5th date began on a Friday night and ended on a Monday morning.  They had gone out for dinner at Coopers and returned to Pam’s apartment.  The night was spent talking for hours about all kinds of subjects: basketball, art, dreams, pranks, family, childhood, movies, beer, music, food and favourite smells.  Around 2 am the discussion turned to memories of parking lots and there were confessions and tears and apologies.  They spent the rest of the weekend making up for lost time.

 

Their 20th date began with Jim blindfolding Pam.  He assured her that all would be magically revealed and drove her to their secret date location.  He got out of the car, opened her door, led her to the outside of the building and dramatically removed her blindfold.

 

“The Houdini Museum?” Pam hesitantly asked.

 

“Yes!  The web site says that it is a ‘non-stop wonderful major event in the world’s only building devoted to the most famous magician of all time’ and that it is ‘great for all ages, from 3 to 93’.  Plus, it will give you something to talk to Michael about.”

 

“You are so lame.”

 

 “Lame, huh?  Or am I so lame that I’m cool?”  She gave him a puzzled look.  Jim grabbed her by the hand and said excitedly, “C’mon!  Let’s explore the wonderful world of magic.”

 

On their 48th date, things started to shift between Jim and Pam.  Many of their dates were now spent just hanging out together watching movies or chatting over a meal.  But on their 48th date, the conversation drifted to marriage as they were sitting together on a loveseat patio seat on Jim’s balcony.

 

“So there I was, surrounded by the flowers, the dress, the hall and even the band.  It was like I was trapped in a bizzaro world,” Pam explained with her hands spread wide.

 

“Wow. That must have been…wow. That’s just weird,” said Jim as he cast his eyes downward.

 

“Yah, not really the best day of my life, but I’m glad it worked out for Phyllis.”  Pam began to think of the mistake she made on that night and stared at the candle that was flickering on Jim’s patio table.

 

Jim looked at her and said in a low voice, “Can I ask you something?”

 

Pam lifted her gaze. “Sure.”

 

“Why did you leave with him?”

 

Pam’s stomach flipped. She wished he hadn’t asked that question, but she knew she would have to answer.  She sat quietly for a minute, thinking about the right words to say.

 

“Well, I was lonely and I started to doubt my choices.  I mean, Roy and I had been together for 10 years.  I worried that I made a mistake.  I watched you and Karen and you looked so happy and it seemed like you had moved on.  I felt like...I felt like I was drowning.  Roy offered me a way out of the pain and fear and in a moment of weakness, I held on to him.”

 

Jim looked uncomfortable.  He looked down towards his lap and started to play with a thread on his jeans.

 

“Jim, look at me,” Pam said as she lifted his chin so he could meet her eyes.  “I know it must have hurt to see me with Roy, but I’m glad it happened.”

 

Jim cleared his throat and tried hard to keep eye contact with Pam.

 

“I’m glad it happened because it helped me see that Roy and I were never meant to be together.  He didn’t let me be me.  He liked the idea of me, but he didn’t know the real me.  There’s only one person in this world that knows the real me.  One person that supports me, loves me and helps me be all I can be.”

 

“The Army?” Jim said with a smirk.

 

“Very funny.  Seriously, from the day I met you, you always made me feel comfortable in my own skin.  I could always be myself around you. I denied letting you in for a long time because I couldn’t handle that someone other than Roy made me feel whole.  Now...I feel like I can do anything and you are a big part of that.”

 

“Wow…well, I’m glad that I could help out,” he said as he smiled and leaned in to place a gentle kiss on Pam’s lips.

 

As they separated, Pam smiled and asked, “So, what would your dream wedding look like?”

 

Jim made like he was about to stand as he said, “Oh, let me go get my dream wedding book and I can show you all of the drawings and clippings I’ve kept since I was a boy--,”

 

“Stop it!” she said as she smacked his arm and pushed him back down.  “Seriously, haven’t you ever thought about our, uh… whoo…I mean… your wedding day?”  Pam stopped as Jim’s eyes grew wide.

 

Her face became flushed and she stared at the candle, again.  “I’m sorry, was that too much?  It’s too much, I…never mind”

 

Jim stared at Pam as a slight smile crept across his face.  “No…no.  Not too much.”

 

Pam looked up as he continued, “I actually have thought about getting married and it’s funny that the same person always seems to be there.”

 

It was now Pam’s turn to look at Jim with wide eyes.  She smiled and said, “Dwight? Is it Dwight? I always knew you two had something special.”

 

“Beesly. C’mon!  I’m pouring my heart out here and you have to go and ruin it with him. That’s going to be burned in my brain, now. Thanks.”

 

“I’m sorry!  Please!  Please…continue”

 

“Nope, the moment is gone. I can’t even remember what I was talking about.”

 

“I think you were about to tell me who you want to marry.”

 

“Oh, was I now?  Hmmm…I don’t know if that was what I was saying, but…” he reached for her hand and rubbed his thumb back and forth across her palm.  “Well, Beesly, to tell you the truth, there has only ever been one person that I’ve ever wanted to marry, and, um...that’s you.”

 

“Oh,” Pam responded as a sigh.

 

“Yah…oh.” Jim looked down at their fingers laced together and continued in a whisper, “I can’t tell you how many times I wished it was our wedding you were planning when you were with him.”  Jim sighed, “Look, it’s not like I had our flowers and colours all picked out or anything, but I’ve had many thoughts about standing in front of you and promising myself to you until the day I die.”

 

“Oh…my. I, uh…I’m not sure what to say.”

 

Jim looked like he had just had the wind knocked out of him and Pam recognized that look of fear.  She had to choose her words carefully here because this was it.  This was a very important moment and she wanted to make things very clear, with no misunderstandings.

 

“Jim, don’t look at me like that.  This is not Casino Night in the parking lot.  We are so far from who we were then.  I couldn’t handle what you had to say to me then, but now…well now, I…” Tears started to form in the corners of her eyes and she fought hard to keep it together.  “Now, I…I…can’t imagine my life without you.  I know it’s only been a few months since we started dating and sometimes it feels like everything is moving really fast but…”  Pam glanced downwards, wiped the tears from her eyes and sat up straight, holding Jim’s gaze. “We’ve wasted so much time denying ourselves to each other.  I don’t want to do that anymore.  Why should we?  I know we’re still getting to know each other, but I want to spend the rest of my life getting to know you.  I can guarantee we’ll be 80, sitting on our front porch and you will still be able to surprise me with something I’ve never known about you.”  She grabbed his other hand and looked at him with a determination he had never seen before. “Jim, I love you.  I fell in love with you the first day that I met you.  I have a connection with you that I’ve never felt with another person and I don’t want to wait until we move in together or wait until we’ve been together for an ‘acceptable’ amount of time.  We need to be together now and enjoy each other now and begin the rest of our lives starting now.”

 

They stared at each other and soaked up the enormity of what had just been said.  Various bugs could be heard making their night time noises and a car drove by, but none of it was heard by Jim and Pam.

 

Jim broke the trance and asked, “Pam, what exactly are you saying?  I mean, are you saying what I think your saying?  Because, if that’s what your saying, I--,”

 

“Jim, I think we should get married.”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans