- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
An office Christmas party.
 

December 20, 2002, 9:37 p.m.

To your left Dwight!”

Jim called out instructions and watched in half amusement as Dwight thrashed the bat aimlessly around the room, missing Michael’s head by inches.

“Dwight. Stop It. Give me the bat.”

“No. It’s my turn. Just be quiet! I have the reflexes of a cat and the instincts of a ninja. That piñata’s around here somewhere. I know it.”

“Oh. This is a bad idea.” Toby surveyed the scene with his usual expressionless face and Jim grinned at him. Michael’s idea of having a Mexican themed Christmas party was definitely his most over the top yet. Complete with enchiladas, a piñata and Michael himself arriving in a colorful poncho and sombrero.

Only Dwight seemed to be having any fun. Looking around the room at all the bored faces Jim was pretty confidant that he wasn’t the only one counting down the moments until he could leave.

He headed toward the back with a cup of punch and his cell phone for a moment of quiet.

As he neared the break room he noticed that he wasn’t the only one with the idea. Pam was sitting at a table in the far corner hunched over a piece of paper with a pencil poised in her hand. Jim watched her for a moment, noticing the way that one piece of hair kept falling into her face and the way she would bite her lip as she tucked it back.

“You’re missing all the excitement.”

Pam jumped slightly, a slow blush creeping into her cheeks. “Oh, um, sorry, I just… Well, I just didn’t want to be there.”

Jim put on an expression of mock shock, “How could you not have a good time out there? There’s a piñata and watered down punch.” He held up his cup and took a sip for good measure.

Pam scrunched up her nose, “So tempting. But it feels a little but like…”
“A middle school dance?”

She laughed, “Exactly. Now if there was booze. It might be a different story.”

Jim shook his head and sat down across from her, “No. I don’t think so. Can you imagine what it would be like out there if we were allowed to drink? Utter chaos.”

“Well, I guess it is a good thing. I make a lousy drunk.”

Jim raised his eyebrows, “Really?”

She shrugged, “I don’t know. I just get loud and laugh a lot and lose all sense of balance. Pretty much make a fool of myself.”

“I’d like to see that.”

“Never gonna happen. I can guarantee that.”

Jim smiled and looked around the room. His eyes fell on the piece of paper she was trying to cover with her hands, “What are you doing?”

The blush was back as Pam tried to shrug nonchalantly, “Oh nothing, I was just doodling.” But before she could stop him Jim had reached across the table and pulled the paper away from her. Pam’s mouth dropped open and she ducked her head in embarrassment.

“You drew this?” Jim looked down and the sketch he held in his hands. It was of a large house with vines crawling up the sides and large trees surrounding it. He looked up at Pam who gave him one simple nod.

“This is really good.”

It would have been impossible for Pam’s face to get any redder and she reached her hand out to take it back.

“It’s nothing really.”

Jim took a sip of his punch and scrutinized her face, “You like it?”

“Huh?”

“Drawing. You like it?”

She shook her head and pursed her lips, “Sure, I guess. I mean I minored in college. But, it’s really not. It’s really not practical or anything.”

“Practical?”

“Yeah. Well, Roy and I are saving for the wedding and… You just have to think about those things you know.” She was struggling and Jim could see the pain disguised in her eyes. He decided to change the subject.

“So you guys set a date yet?”

Her eyes lit up a little, “Um. Yeah. I think we’re thinking about this summer. Nothing’s really finalized yet. But I’m not in a hurry or anything. I like the idea of being engaged for a little while. Not forever. But you know.” She looked up at him and nodded toward his cell phone, “How about you and Rachel? You’ve been dating awhile.”

“Oh. Yeah. Um...”

Pam suddenly wished she hadn’t said anything, “Sorry. That’s personal. I shouldn’t.”

“No. it’s okay.” Jim shrugged and spun the phone around on the table. “Yeah. Rachel’s great. And six months is definitely some kind of record for me. But, I don’t know. I think marriage is a long way off.”

“Right.” She looked back down at her drawing, “So what about all this?”

He looked at her quizzically, “All this?

“Yeah. I know this isn’t what you want to be doing. So what would you do if you weren’t here?”

“Oh.” He looked thoughtful, “You know, I don’t know. I don’t think there’s anything else I’d rather do.”

Pam rolled her eyes, “Come on, I’m serious.”

“Sadly enough, so am I. I really don’t know.”

“What did you want to do when you were younger?”

“ Professional basketball player.”

She laughed, “Didn’t work out for you huh?”

“Not so much.” Jim settled back into his chair, “I can tell you what I don’t want to do though.” He pointed back toward the party with his thumb, “I don’t want to end up like Michael.”

Pam tilted her head, “You’re not going to end up like Michael.”

He crossed his fingers, “Here’s hoping.” He looked up at the ceiling and Pam studied him for a moment. No, he was definitely not like Michael. But she sensed some insecurity hidden under his assured demeanor. She didn’t push it though.

Jim downed the last drop of punch from his cup, “I guess I better get back out there and see if Dwight’s decapitated anyone with that bat.” He cocked his head, “You coming?”

She nodded, “In a minute.”

Jim gave her one last glance and headed out the door. Pam bit her lip and looked down at her drawing. Wondered for a brief moment if there was anyone out there who was completely happy with their decisions.

With a sigh she stood and crumpled the drawing in her hand, tossing it in the trash on her way back to the party.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans