- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Jam fluff. My last story was total angst so I had to have some happiness this time.

Disclosure: I don't own these characters.

"Honey? It's almost sunset! We should get going soon."

"One sec, babe. Just gotta find my shoes."

She came out of the bathroom looking radiant. Her skin glowed from the sun, she wore a new dress and her eyes sparkled. His breath caught in his chest. She always took his breath away but tonight it hit him especially hard.

She was admiring him as well. He looked rested and happy and he had an adorable little sunburn on his nose which made his eyes seem especially green. He had been sad for so long that she forgot how his face shone when he was happy. She felt a twinge in her heart - she still felt that pang of guilt even though things were fixed now.

As usual, he was reading her thoughts and of course he tried to make her feel better. He crossed the room and wrapped his arms around her, passionately kissing her.

After a few minutes, she pulled away, laughing a bit, giving him that smile reserved only for him. "This is lovely, but we should get going or we'll miss it!"

"Well, we do have 5 more nights....."

"No, we should go tonight! The weather is gorgeous and the sunset will be awesome."

"Mmmm. If you want to."

He tried to distract her by running his hands up and down her spine but she giggled and pulled away.

"No distractions - I'm onto your tricks, mister! Now let's go!"

"Yes ma'am." He gave her his sad puppy dog look but she just smiled and took his hand in hers, leading him to the door.

They strolled down the street hand in hand, taking in the sights. When they arrived at Mallory Square, a large crowd had already assembled. They walked around for a bit watching all the street performers, looking at all the arts and crafts tables, and just enjoying each other's company. As the sun got lower in the sky, they staked out a quieter spot off to the side with a perfect view of the sunset.

They asked a nice lady next to them to take a picture. As she handed back the camera, she smiled and asked if this was their first time in Key West.

"Actually, yes. It's really beautiful here!" he said.

The lady smiled knowingly, "Honeymoon?"

They both blushed and nodded, smiling at her and then back at each other.

He kissed her just as the sun slipped below the horizon. As dusk set in, they got ice cream and ate it while walking back to their room.

When they reached their door, he swept her up and carried her over the threshold.

"Jim, are you going to do this every day?" Pam giggled.

"Well, Mrs. Halpert, I happen to think you deserve this kind of treatment."

"Maybe so, Mr. Halpert, but I promised to love you in sickness and in health for the rest of my life and I don't want to have to hear you complaining about your bad back someday because you couldn't stop carrying me over thresholds..."

He laid her down on the bed and then lay beside her, "As long as I have you, I promise to never complain about anything ever again."

Pam closed her eyes and buried her head in his chest, loving the feeling of having him all to herself. She was grateful to Oscar for offering them this time-share for their honeymoon. She didn't want a big expensive honeymoon when being anywhere with Jim was special. Besides, the money they saved would help with the downpayment on their new house with the terrace.

"Jim?"

"Yes?"

"Can I tell you something?"

"You know you can tell me anything."

She did know and she was grateful that she had the good sense to marry him.

"Sunset used to be my least favorite time of the day. When I was little I was really afraid of the dark and to me, sunset meant it would be dark soon."

Jim was nodding and paying close attention, like he did whenever she spoke. Always making her feel like her fears were his fears and her joys were his joys. She hoped she made him feel the same way.

"And when... when I was with Roy, it seemed like he'd always call me at sunset to tell me he'd be out late. Or he wouldn't come home at all even though he knew I hated to be alone at night. So now are you worried you married some really weird person?"

Jim touched her face reassuringly. "Hey, we all have little things that make us feel scared or like a kid again. As long as we're sharing, I haven't really liked sunset for the last year or two."

Pam was puzzled. "Why only for the last couple of years?"

"Most of the year, sunset is around the time when the work day ends and that reminded me that I wouldn't see you until the next morning, or worse, until Monday. If I was driving home as the sun was setting it made me think of you too - I figured sunset would be one of those times you'd be inspired to draw and I wished I could have been with you so I could watch."

"Oh...." her voice was thick with emotion. Pam never ceased to be amazed at how his thoughts had centered around her before they had been together. She sat up and leaned back against the headboard thinking about how much she loved this man.

He looked up at her and grinned. "What are you thinking about?"

"I'm thinking sunset might be my favorite time of day now," she said mischievously.

"Why is that?" he moved up to sit right next to her.

"Well a couple of reasons. One is that tomorrow, I'm going to draw the sunset and you get to watch me!"

"Really?" He was so excited it made Pam's heart ache a bit to hear the love and admiration in his voice. He touched her cheek softly.  "I can't wait. So what's the other reason?"

She smiled brightly at him, reached over to switch off the lights and then rolled over on top of him before whispering in his ear, "Since I met you, I'm not afraid of the dark anymore."



Par5 is the author of 29 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Sunset also liked 869 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Happily Ever After. The previous story in the series is The Waiting. The next story in the series is Quality Time.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans