- Text Size +
Story Notes:

I had this idea for a while. I'm pretty sure someone has probably written a fic like this, but this is my best fic so i thought i would post it first. Enjoy and Review.

Disclaimer: Don't own the character... or anything else associated with NBC The Office

It was way past 3 as Jim staggered into his room. He knew that letting Mark throw him a stag the night before the wedding was a bad idea.

What were you thinking Halpert?

He changes out of his jeans and golf shirt. He brushes his teeth and looks in the mirror and thinks to himself.

This is it tomorrow is going to be the start of something new. This year has been amazing. She is going to look so beautiful tomorrow in her gown. I am the luckiest man alive.

He gets into his bed. He falls asleep immediately as his head hits the pillows. He dreams about the woman he loves. He dreams that she is in his arms and they are making love. Her curves are amazing, she knows exactly what to do. In his dream they come together and then sleep tangled in sheets and each others arms.

His alarm blares at 8 am. The ceremony is at 10, he's got time. He gets out of bed, his head pounding slightly from his hangover, yet his body is still reminded of the sensations of the dream. He goes to the washroom, pulls out the Advil and takes two. He looks in the mirror again.

You look like a slob Halpert, how could she ever want to marry you?

Jim jumps into the shower. The hot water refreshes him, it washes away the dream and he feels ready to face the day.

By 9 he is at the church. He has gotten himself into his tuxedo. He looks sharp. His hair is done somewhat nicely, well that is to say the ends aren't all curling up, and the front is combed out of his eyes. He looks almost too good to be true. As he is tying up his tie he actually says out loud,

"This is it. You are getting married. She is perfect for you. Come on Halpert, you know this is right, right?" Is this right? Am I marrying the right woman?

Jim puts those thoughts aside. He passes them off as pre-wedding nerves. Everyone gets them. She's probably having some too.

At 9:45 there is a knock at the door. Jim knows who it is. He sees Michael pop his head in before fully entering the room. Jim had let Michael be part of the wedding party because he knew how badly Michael wanted to be included. Jim allowed him to be an usher.

"So Jimbo you ready for this? Do I need to get you a barf bag? How about having a limo standing by outside in case she decides to run and you need to chase her? You know like in that Julia Roberts' movie My Best Friend's Wedding"

Michael laughs at his own jokes. Jim smiles weakly. Michael who usually doesn't pick up on things sees something in Jim's eyes.

"Hey don't be nervous man, she's great."

"Yeah I know I always knew that. It's just that am I making the right decision?"

"Do you love her?" Michael asks and Jim nods, but Michael sees something else, fear, doubt, a distant longing? Michael just puts it off to nerves. "Well then you are man. Come on. Or you're going to be the one to come out after the bride."

His mind calms him down.

Come on Halpert. One foot in front of the other. You can do this. She is going to be gorgeous. You guys are going to live happily ever after.

He gets to the alter. He looks at every one in the pews. They are all smiling and are happy to be at his wedding.

Wow there is a lot of people here. Why did we invite so many. I don't even talk to the majority of them.

He sees Dwight looking longingly at Angela. She turns too look at Dwight, but quickly looks away when she sense Jim watching them. Jim turns and sees Michael looking out over the pews as well. He has a concentrated face.

Probably looking for Jan. Trying to give her a signal that this is what he wants for himself. Michael is one brave guy.

He hears the music start. The doors open. Everyone in her wedding party makes their way down the aisle. He turns to look at Mark, instead catches Michael giving him a look as to say ‘What the Fuck?'

Shit. Did I just give him a look like save me!? No, No. He probably just gave me that look because I am looking at him not her.

Jim turns his head back to the doors. He sees her standing there with her father.

God she is beautiful. She's like a princess. But she's... No she's the one.

She makes her way closer and Jim swallows hard. He can feel himself sweating through his tux. He's going to have to change his shirt before the reception.

God it's hot in here.

The reverend starts. Jim can barely hear what the reverend is saying over the thoughts in his head. Then the line: "If anyone has any reason why these two should not be married speak now or forever hold you piece." Jim definitely heard that line, he also heard a few coughs out in the pews, and he ignored them. What happened next he couldn't ignore.

"I OBJECT!!!" Everyone in the church turned to where the sound was coming from. "This man is in love with another woman!" Michael's voice boomed across the church.

Jim was rooted to the spot. He didn't know what to do. He couldn't move, he couldn't speak, he couldn't even turn his head to look at Michael, but his mind was working in hyper speed.

Why did I invite Michael? Wait he wasn't looking for Jan in the crowd he was looking for Pam. She had said yes to the save the date, but I didn't see her when I looked through the pews and I guess Michael didn't either. She said that she was happy for me, that she would be here. Wait does this mean...No it can't...she would have said. No she wouldn't. She wouldn't want the possible humiliation of being turned down, and she would want you to have to deal with her emotions. But come on Halpert she has been the one. She was there before Sarah. She was there making you smile, and to join in all your office pranks.  She was there when Sarah and you fought, when we almost split up, when Beans died she went to your parents with you, because she fell in love with Beans those couple of times you brought him out with you. She was there last night in the dream. She has loved me. She has loved me unconditionally.  She was the one...she is the one. I can't do this. But I have to...I can't do this to Sarah...Come on Halpert grow a pair, this is about love and the rest of your life.  Michael knew. He saw in my face, Michael knew all along. I am in love with Pam.

Everyone in the church was silent. Even Sarah didn't say a word. All she did was look up at him with longing eyes begging him to go on. Ignore Michael and his comment. He couldn't. He looked down at her, and whispered in her ear, "I'm sorry. I love her."

Jim can't stand at the alter for another second. He leaves through the side and gets into his car. He knows where he's going; he has always known where he was going. The ride over is silent, save for the voice in Jim's head.

She's smiled at you through all those years. She's never pushed herself on you, she has just waited.  She tried to show that she loved you...loves? You blocked it out. You didn't want to face the emotions in your own heart. Why did you ever do that?  Why hadn't she tried to stop this wedding, why didn't she say something before? Because she isn't like that, you know that. She is that strong silent type; she also wants your happiness over hers. Hopefully she is at home, and you can admit to her your feelings, maybe you can...

 "Ok stop, I am not listening to you anymore." Jim says to the voices in his head.

Jim pulls into her driveway. It has started to rain. He doesn't grab the umbrella from the back, he opens the car door and walks up to her front door.

Hopefully she's home, hopefully she'll want you.

He knocks. He hears a shuffling and then the lock click. Pam opens the door. She's wearing black track pants and an oversize Dunder Mifflin sweater. He looks at her and then focuses on her eyes. They are puffy and red and he can see a trace of tears of her cheeks.

Halpert you idiot. You broke her heart.

She steps out into the rain on her landing and stutters, "Wh-What are you doing here?"

Her voice sounds far away, like its coming from a place that she has kept hidden.

"Pam I couldn't do it. I couldn't go through with it. I almost did though. If it hadn't been for Michael saying that I was in love with another woman, I would be married right now."

Pam's eyes well up with more tears.

"Pam I'm in love with you. I always have been. It's just taken Michael to make me truly realize it"

The tears spill from her eyes, and she giggles as she imagines Michael actually motivating anyone. He pulls her into his arms. They have forgotten about the rain, the past, the future. All they have in that moment is each other. Jim bows his head towards hers. He kisses with all the passion he has for her.

She pulls away and presses her face into his wet tux, and through the rain, her tears and his clothes he can make out what she says, "I love you too."

They stand in that embrace in the rain. He thinks,

This is the one. This is right.

End Scene.

Chapter End Notes:
Please Review.


PokerChips is the author of 11 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked A Wedding also liked 382 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans