- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I just read a string of depressing stories and I needed to go to my happy, jammy place. There's a bit of angst here but just a tad. And I love postcards!

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.


Jim laid all his cards on the table. He was done bluffing. He told her he was in love with her. He kissed her. She kissed him back. It was her turn to play her hand.

She looked at him. He tried so hard to read her. Wanted so badly to know which way the cards would fall. She cheated and pulled another card out of her sleeve.

She moved into him again, grabbed his shoulders, pressed her lips to his one more time and then whispered in his ear, "I'm in love with you too, Jim." She heard him take in a sharp breath as she continued, "But there are complications...there are some things I need to take care of. I'm sorry..." and she slipped out of his grasp and disappeared before he could react.

He had no idea how to feel. He couldn't be too happy. Yes, she had said she was in love with him, but hadn't exactly given him hope. She had said she was sorry. Sorry for what? Was she going ahead with the wedding? Was she breaking up with Roy? What were the things she needed to take care of?

He sighed. He would give her time to take care of whatever it was that needed taking care of. Whatever she needed, he would give her. Just as he had all along.

He didn't know whether or not he should take the transfer. Maybe he'd give it a few days to see what was going to happen. He went home and went to bed, hoping things would be clearer the next day.

When he went into work the next morning, Roy was upstairs. Jim caught a glimpse of him as he pushed through the doors. He figured Pam had told him what happened and he was waiting there to give Jim a piece of his mind. And probably a piece of his fists too.

But Roy was just looking for information. "Halpert. It's about time you got here. Last time I saw Pam last night, she was with you. Do you know where she went after that?"

Jim was confused. Pam hadn't gone home? Roy didn't know what happened between Pam and him? He decided he wasn't going to be the one to tell Roy so he'd play it cool. "No, not really. I mean we talked for a bit and then she said she was going back inside to play some more poker. And I went home. I didn't see her after that. Didn't she come home?"

"Well, she came home but I must have been asleep. It looks like she packed a bag and then she took off in her car. She left a note but it didn't say much." Roy handed Jim a piece of a cocktail napkin.

It looked like the kind they had used last night at the bar. Pam had scrawled a quick note. "Roy- Ran into some complications last night. I'll be in touch, Pam"

Roy narrowed his eyes and looked hard at Jim. "What sort of complications do you think she's talking about?"

Jim swallowed. "I don't know, Roy. Everything was fine last I saw her."

Roy grabbed the note back from him and stared down at it again like maybe he'd missed something there. He hadn't. He sighed and looked back up at Jim and said softly, "Halpert, if you hear from her, will you let me know?"

Jim nodded. "Absolutely, Roy, sure. Will do."

When he heard the elevator doors close, Jim sank down into his chair.

Pam is gone. She didn't tell Roy anything. It didn't sound like she's planning to go back to him anytime soon. What does it mean?

He turned on his computer and checked his voicemail. There was a message from Pam.

"Don't worry about me, Jim. I'll be in touch. And if he asks about me, you should know I didn't tell Roy anything. I just - I have some things to take care of. Bye."

She didn't come to work that day or the next or the next. Toby had gone in to talk to Michael that first day and from then on Ryan was sitting at reception.

Jim saw Roy occasionally. He looked tired. His head always hung low, back a bit more stooped. If he saw Jim he'd give him a look that asked if he'd heard anything and Jim would shake his head.

The postcards started arriving the second week. They came to his house. The first one was from D.C. A picture of cherry blossoms and the Lincoln Memorial. Pam had told him once that was her favorite. All it said was, "Miss you. -P"

A few days later, he got a picture of Virginia Beach. The message was longer. "Miss you. Wish you were here. -P" He smiled.

That week he heard a rumor going around the office that Pam had cancelled the wedding without telling Roy. She made calls from the road to cancel the hall and the caterer. Jim felt bad for Roy and went to talk to him.

He told Roy he got a postcard from Pam. He lied and told him it was from Pittsburgh. Roy was angry. Not at Jim, but he wanted to know why Pam hadn't written to him.

The next week, the postcard was from Savannah. "Miss you so much. Love, P"

Four days later, Jim got a package postmarked from Miami. There was a postcard for Jim. The message was to the point. "Jim, I love you. Pam"

There was also a long letter inside for Roy. It was unsealed and Pam had attached a post-it note that instructed Jim to read the letter and then give it to Roy. The last thing inside was a drawing Pam had done of a coastal scene. Jim framed it and hung it on the wall. The postcard joined his growing collection on the fridge.

He read the letter Pam had written to Roy, a smile on his face the whole time. But when he met Roy after work the next day to give him the letter he made sure to maintain a serious face.

The postcards came for three more weeks. Tampa. Houston. San Antonio. Albuquerque. Grand Canyon. San Diego.

After that, he got a voicemail at work. She left it in the middle of the night so she could talk without answering his questions. It was easier that way.

"Hey, Jim. Just calling from California to say hi. I miss you so much. I've seen so many beautiful places. And I'm ... working things out. It won't be too long now. I love you, Jim. Bye."

He closed his eyes as he listened. Hit "2" to save the message and played it over and over again. He listened to it every day after that.

It was a Friday afternoon when he got the last postcard. It was delivered in a large envelope by messenger service. It was a postcard of Scranton. Jim smiled and smiled as he read the message. At 4:30 he snuck out of the office early.

She was there, waiting in his driveway. When she saw him pull in behind her she jumped out and ran to his car, pulling the door open impatiently. Jim thought she looked different - like a woman who knew what she wanted.

His heart was beating wildly but he didn't want to pressure her. He took her into his arms and gave her a big hug. But this time he let her be the one who looked into his eyes, who moved closer, who put her mouth on his, who pressed hard against him.

When she pulled back to look at him, he was smiling at her just like old times. She slid up onto the trunk and pulled him closer to stand between her legs. Her arms found their way around his neck.

"So, did you miss me?" she said brightly.

He nodded. "Things were dull around the office without you."

"You knew they would be. So what did you think of my last postcard?"

He laughed. "I loved it! So the complications - everything is taken care of?"

She took a deep breath and nodded slowly. "I figured out what I needed to. I mean, I know we have a lot to talk about, but it'll be okay, right?"

He smiled at her. Something in her voice made him feel happiness starting to creep in around the edges of his life. "Yeah, things will definitely be okay."

"So did you decide?" she asked.

"Hmmmm. Europe I think. The credit for the Australia ticket will cover two tickets to Paris. Or Rome. I picked the continent so you pick the city."

"That sounds perfect," she smiled and leaned into him, loving being able to touch him again. She gestured towards the door, "Are you gonna invite me in, or what?"

He just grinned and carried her inside.

********************************************
The first postcard was from Rome.

"Michael, Consider this my two weeks notice starting the day I get back. Having a great time! Jim"

The next was from Florence.

"Mom and Dad, Thanks for the Eurail passes. We're putting them to good use! Love, Pam"

One from Marseilles.

"Dwight, Bonjour mon ami! Hey, you were right - they don't have French fries or French toast here. Love and Kisses, Jim"

Then they got giddy and started sending them to themselves.

From Paris.

"Jim accidentally ordered frogs legs and Pam mocked him. Spent 2 days at the Louvre. Kissed at the top of the Eiffel Tower."

From Munich.

"Pam drank too much beer at the Hofbrauhaus and became an expert in German beer songs. She found Jim extremely sexy in his lederhosen."

The last postcard was sent from Venice. It found a cherished place on the wall when they returned home.

"Took a romantic gondola ride at sunset. Pam proposed in the Piazza San Marco. Jim said yes."



Par5 is the author of 29 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Postcards also liked 1707 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans