- Text Size +
Story Notes:
I tried to write this as someone would write an actual email, so it includes a bit of rambling and a heavy dose of emoticons. I'm not a Karen fan but for some reason I like the challenge of writing from her point of view.
Author's Chapter Notes:

Takes place immediately following Beach Games. 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

from Karen Filippelli < kafil1078@gmail.com >
to JT < sweetums56442@gmail.com >
date May 12, 2007 11:49 AM
subject You'll never believe this

First of all, hi. Sorry I haven't written in a couple of weeks; it's been crazy here. I don't know what time it is where you are so I didn't want to call you, but I had to tell you what happened yesterday.

Our boss, Michael (I'm sure you remember him ;) decided to take us to the "beach" for a beach day. I say "beach" because it was really this pathetic lake outside of Scranton, but whatever. He arranged for us to play all these stupid games, as if we were on Survivor. Turns out that he was using these games to determine his replacement, because he was up for this promotion at the corporate office, which he thinks he has in the bag.

But let me back up for a second. Earlier in the day, Jim got a call from the CFO asking if he'd be interested in interviewing for the same position. Seems they bonded over sports at a cocktail party we went to at the CFO's house a few months back. Anyway, Jim, being Jim, told him he would think about it and call him back. He only mentioned this to me after we found out about Michael being up for the same job, and at that point I told him he should call the CFO back and tell him hell yeah, he was interested. And while we're at it, maybe I should throw my hat into the ring as well. :-)

Yes, you read me right - I have an interview next Thursday! Well, all three of us do, but I am sure that either Jim or I will get the job. Michael is far too much of an idiot to climb much further up the corporate ladder. I'm surprised he made it this far.

Anyway, Jim and I were having a pretty nice day. He seems to finally be snapping out of that funk that he was in for a while. Maybe it's the nicer weather, I don't know. But he seemed to be in a much better mood.

So it gets dark out and Michael reveals the next task to be a coal walk. No, I'm not kidding, he expected one or more of us to walk over a bed of hot coals. Okay. Of course no one does it but Dwight (whom I'm sure you also remember me talking about), and that was a scene I don't want to relive, so I won't. Someday when this TV show they're making finally airs, you can see it for yourself, because it was all caught on tape. Anyway, when it was over Michael started chastising everyone for their failures of the day, I look over and see Pam the receptionist still at the coals. Which she then proceeds to walk over! She then came running over to where the rest of us were, declaring that she had something she needed to say.

Well, what she needed to say was basically that she is in love with my fucking boyfriend, and that she called off her wedding for him, and now she's pissed that he doesn't give her the time of day. Everyone just sat there staring, and I wanted to get up and slap her but I was kind of stunned. She said her feet hurt and flounced away, while Jim just sat there looking pale as a ghost. I was so angry, but I didn't know what to say, and before I knew it he was going after her.

I called after him but he said he just needed a minute, and he went down to the water where she was soaking her feet. They talked for a minute, but I couldn't hear anything, and then he hugged her and they walked back up to the group, laughing. I felt like I was going to throw up, but Jim took me aside and told me that I had nothing to worry about, that Pam just wanted to be friends with him again. The whole situation made me uneasy, especially when he spent the bus ride back to the office staring out the window and not talking to me. When we got in his car to go home, he still wouldn't talk about it, so I pressed him a little bit and he snapped at me. He dropped me off at my apartment and said he would call me in the morning. Of course, I couldn't sleep all night. I thought for sure he was going to call me this morning and tell me he was leaving me for Pam.

However, the opposite happened. This morning he knocked on my door pretty early. I asked him what he was going to do, and he said that there wasn't anything for him to do, that he was with me. He didn't say much after that because as soon as I tried to talk about it, he pretty much jumped me and we ended up in bed for the rest of the morning. ;)

Which leads me to now. Jim is asleep in my bed, and here I am writing to you. I think everything is going to be okay. Or at least I hope so. I think he does love me, and he's obviously chosen to be with me and not her, but I don't know, I still have this nagging feeling... I know, I know. I am being paranoid.

One thing's for sure, I need out of this fucking town. If one of us gets this job we will move to New York together. I don't think he wants to be here any more than I do.

Wow, sorry this was so long. I think I hear him stirring. I'll talk to you later!

Karen


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans