- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Rating/Warning for Kelly's mild potty mouth. Oh that Kelly.
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.



1.
Toby peered through the blinds of the break room window, his sad eyes focusing on the new receptionist. There was something immediately likeable about her. He wasn't sure if it was the way she bit her lower lip and raised her eyebrows when she hit the wrong button on the phone, but then again... he was pretty sure that's what it was.

He wanted to go and talk to her, maybe even flash the Flenderson thousand watt smile... but Kelly was always there, ecstatic to have a girl of her own age in the office (well, at least one that didn't hate her) to talk to. Kelly was bouncing around the desk, no doubt trying to decide what shade of pink was best. Toby liked that Pam didn't seem to care.

Kelly walked away from the reception desk and began walking toward the break room, so Toby turned around and pretended to be looking at one of the flyers on the fridge.

"Oh my God," Kelly said as she entered the break room, "Pam is, like, so totally nice."

Toby wanted to seem noncommittal. He leaned against the fridge. "Oh?"

"Yeah," Kelly said. She poured herself a cup of coffee. "I could see us becoming like total BFFs. I'd have to help her with her wardrobe, but other than that she is so totally awesome. And she has a totally hot fiancé - he's totally macho."

Kelly put cream and sugar in her coffee before moving toward the door. "Later, Toby!"

The door shut behind Kelly and on his hopes.

2.
He was at the copier, punching in all the settings he wanted, trying to ignore the fact that she was leaning on his desk again. Why couldn't she be leaning on the copier? Toby was sure he was just as easy to talk to as Jim was, so... why? He tapped the start button harder than he meant to and sighed as the faint green light escaped from under the copier's cover.

He looked up when the door to the office opened. His eyes followed Roy as he walked toward Pam. He couldn't hear what they were saying, but when Roy started tickling her, he looked down at the floor.

Her laughter filled the office, but it only made him feel empty.

3.
He was typing reports and reading faxes while humming a soft tune. It would be the first time in almost two years that he was probably going to be able to leave early for the day. Finally, he was having a good day.

Was.

Kelly poked her head around the wall that divided their workspaces. "Oh my God, I am so bored."

"You could do work..." he suggested without looking up from his own.

"Nobody is calling and I'm not gonna do stupid extra stuff," she scoffed. She paused to examine her fingernails and sighed. "Why couldn't Ryan wait to do that stuff for Michael until after work? I am so bored!"

She examined the things Toby had pinned to his wall. Suddenly, she perked up. "Ohmygosh! I totally didn't tell you! Please tell me someone didn't tell you what happened at the beach! I need to talk about it, like, seriously, cause it was like kind of weird but cute in a stupid way!"

"No..."

"Oh, good! Cause, wow, I did not know Pam had it in her! It was like in Legally Blonde when Elle totally schooled that bitch with the perm. Awe-SOME!"

Toby turned slowly in his chair to face her. "Pam? I mean, what - what did she say or do, or..."

Kelly rehashed the details of Pam's beach confession in elaborate detail. "...and then she said that she missed having fun with everyone at the office, right? But, then, and get this cause it is so totally almost cute, in that Pam sort of way, you know - she was all 'not everyone in the office, just you.' Just Jim, she meant, you know? And I was sitting there thinking -"

"I'm gonna get a coffee," he interrupted.

He walked away, his brow more furrowed than usual.

4.
She reached up and kissed his cheek. Jim's cheek. Not his cheek.

She said nothing as she passed his desk and when Jim walked by he mumbled "Hey."

Toby didn't reply. He only opened Microsoft Word and penned a memo on office PDA. He didn't send memos when Ryan and Kelly made out in Kelly's cubicle, the break room, the hallway, the conference room or... well, anywhere. Ryan and Kelly weren't very discerning when it came to location. But they never got a memo.

But Toby never loved Kelly.

5.
Toby shifted uncomfortably in his seat. The church was too hot and his tie was choking him. It was funny - he wore a suit almost every day of his life and it had never bothered him like this before. He tugged at his shirt collar and tried to focus his attention forward.

Over the top of Angela's head he could see her standing there, looking more beautiful than he could have ever imagined possible. The bouqet of flowers in her hands trembled slightly and her smile could have powered Scranton for days or powered him for the rest of his life if it had been a smile meant for him. But it wasn't. It was a smile that belonged to a lanky man with a goofy grin.

He knew how they felt up there. He had been through the same thing, but he was sure that they wouldn't end up like him. He was sure that they wouldn't end at all. The church seemed to be getting hotter and his mouth was getting drier.

There was a hint of her smile in her voice as she vowed, "Absolutely I do."

Toby yanked off his tie and let it fall to the floor.



carbondalien is the author of 25 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Five Times Pam Accidentally Broke Toby's Heart Without Knowing It also liked 206 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans