- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Season 4, no spoilers.
Totally unbeta'd. Read this quote and could not get this little ficlet out of my head.

Disclaimer: I don't own anything associated to The Office, or the author of the quote I use.

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I don't own anything. The characters, the quote. Don't sue.

Jim pulled himself up on his bed so his back was resting against the headboard. He did it slowly so as not to wake Pam. As he moved he saw her roll over still asleep, and pull the sheets closer around her naked body. He smiled down at her, thinking about the night they had just had. Their bodies moving over, under and inside each other. Jim had never experienced anything like that.

Jim was tired and he wanted to sleep, but he just couldn’t. His mind was filled with images of Pam and the things they had done over the past few months, and what they would do in the next couple months. He planned trips for them, pranks to pull on Dwight and just little everyday things that would make her smile and that they could do together. He looked down at Pam when he heard her say “yes”, she was still sleeping and dreaming. Jim willed his mind to fall asleep and dream.

The more he thought about sleeping Jim began to realize that since he and Pam started their relationship he couldn’t fall asleep. He would lay in bed wide awake, sometimes with her curled around his side, sometimes alone, but still he could not sleep. He remembered before he started dating Pam he would fall asleep almost immediately and dream of being with her. Even when he was with Karen, he would still sleep and his dreams were filled with Pam. Some dreams were intense, with Pam crushing her body against demanding that he fuck her until she couldn’t walk, others were just silent moments of them enjoying a lunch or a movie. It was as if his body wanted him to have those dreams because they were better than the life he was in. Now that he was with Pam it was as if his body just wanted to stay awake because the dreams weren’t needed.

Since he couldn’t just sit there Jim flicked on the nightstand lamp and grabbed the first book he saw. It was a book of quotes. Jim thought that this should be boring enough to make him fall asleep. He skimmed through some of the pages, read quotes by Shakespeare and Ghandi. Then he stopped. The page was colourful and there across the colours was a quote by Dr. Seuss. Jim had only ever thought of Dr. Seuss as a children’s author, but with this quote he realized that he was more. It was as if this quote was written specifically for him, and the bright page was so that he was sure to read it. Jim smiled, closed the book, and lowered himself back down to the bed. He leaned over to Pam, kissed her shoulder and wrapped his arms around her and closed his eyes. Just before sleep took him he thought of the quote one last time.

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because the reality is finally better than the dream - Dr. Seuss
Chapter End Notes:
Reviews make me smile... and the sun shine.


PokerChips is the author of 11 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Wisdom of the Doctor also liked 1626 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans