- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Sorry for the writer's block -- I hope it's not another three months before I post another Jam story.

Disclaimer: If I owned these characters, I would make sure the WGA's demands were met so we wouldn't be on an indefinite hiatus.

There was so much drama and tension between Jim and Pam and the camera crew, more than anyone, had noticed every little bit of it. But after Jim came running in from New York and asked Pam out in front of them...well, they seemed to get back to being friends but nothing more. Then the crew had to break for the summer, which pissed Doug off more than anyone since he was the one that filmed their fateful kiss the night of Michael's fund-raiser in the warehouse.

And so here they all were, back in the same office together for the first day after a two-month break. In the production meeting that night, Doug sat with the rest of the camera crew and was the first, but not the only, to voice his doubt.

"Something is up with Jim and Pam. We just need to get some definite proof on film."

1) Around 12:30, Jim got up from his desk and headed over to see Pam for the fourth time in an hour. "So...you ready for lunch?"

Pam rolled her eyes. "I'm still alphabetizing Michael's Rolodex."

"OK, A. Who still uses a Rolodex? And second, why can't you just finish it after lunch?"

"A. Michael. And second, he's specifically looking for an address for a magic shop in Wilkes-Barre," Pam explained as Jim gave her a questioning look. "He's going to a client this afternoon and if I can find the damn shop's address, he'll be gone all day and I can leave early."

Jim drummed his fingers on the counter. "Good point, Beesly. I'm going to grab a bite in the meantime since I didn't have any time to eat breakfast this morning."

Pam looked with a shy smile on her face. "Not my fault," she muttered so quietly that the sound guys could barely pick it up.

Jim smiled warmly at her, then walked into the kitchen and opened the refrigerator door. He pulled out a ham and cheese sandwich and some Sun Chips from Pam's blue insulated lunch bag -- and it was all on Doug's camera.

Oh that? Um...Pam offered to bring me a sandwich for lunch today because I told her that I had to throw out my loaf of moldy bread, and I couldn't go to the grocery store last night because I had a pick-up game of basketball. So yeah. Pam made me a sandwich for lunch.

2) Everyone was in the conference room as Michael kept yammering on about sexual harassment in the work place and how he would appreciate it if no one would stare at his girlfriend's breasts when she came to visit him. Eric hated filming all these conference room meetings because Michael would make them so boring and the editing guys would have to cut two hours of film into five minutes. Usually, there wasn't five minutes of good material to use.

Eric scanned the room with his camera. Stanley was doing crossword puzzles, Creed was asleep, and Jim and Pam were...

He pushed the zoom button on the camera to get a tighter shot of the two of them in the back of the room. While everyone else seemed bored out of their minds, Jim and Pam were whispering to each other. First Pam said something that made Jim smile, then Jim whispered something that made Pam blush.

Eric make sure the shot he got included their legs as well. Rather than just being friends sitting next to each other, Jim's legs were spread a little wider than usual to make sure the side of his leg was touching Pam's in the chair next to him. She leaned over to whisper something else to him, her hand coming to rest on Jim's forearm.

Eric zoomed in a little more -- and Jim and Pam noticed his camera focusing in on them. Pam quickly leaned away, shifting her head to rest on her hand propped up on the opposite side of the chair. Jim sat up straighter, moving his feet a little closer together but keeping his head down. Their smiles were gone.

Michael's meetings are always so boring so Jim and I had a bet going on how many times Michael would mention...Jan's name? But we got bored and gave up. That's why we stopped talking...I mean, in the back of the conference room.

3) "Hey."

"Hey."

"Any messages?"

"Just this one from...um..." Pam's eyes scanned the room and landed on the camera in the kitchen, "some guy at corporate...that wanted to talk to you."

"Some guy at corporate? About what?"

"Plans...for something. I really didn't understand."

"Um. OK."

Jim grabbed the pink message slip from Pam's hand and looked at it, then glanced back up to give her a smile. "Oh right. This was about dinner with a guy from corporate."

"Really?" Pam was acting surprised, but it wasn't a very good acting job. "So what are you going to do?"

Jim smiled down at her. "I guess I'm going to be having dinner tonight with this corporate guy around 7."

"Sounds like fun," Pam responded cheerfully.

"Great." Jim tapped her desk like he always did, smiled, and walked back to his desk.

When he left for the day, the camera guys were lucky enough to see that he forgot to hide the pink message slip on his desk. They walked over and took some quick B-roll in add to the editing process later on.

The slip didn't have any words on it, just a drawing Pam made of a stapler in Jell-O.

Yeah, there was a guy from corporate who was in town last night to talk about some changes in the regional offices. So we had dinner at Cugino's. It was pretty great, actually.

4) Pam was taping up the box on her desk when Jim walked in the door.

"Morning!" he said cheerfully.

Pam looked like she had been caught with her hand in the cookie jar. "Uh, hi."

"What are you doing?"

"Oh, um, Michael wanted me to pack up a few things Karen left behind."

Jim's head immediately snapped up to get a good view of Karen's old desk with nothing on it. "Oh."

"Yeah, she um...got a job as the regional manager in Utica and wanted to have her stuff get shipped up there."

"Utica, huh? Well, that's good to hear," Jim replied, an uncomfortable smile on his face. "I'm sure she'll be happy there."

Pam started fussing with the tape dispenser in her hand. "Would you be happy in Utica?" she asked apprehensively.

Jim reached over her desk and put a steadying hand over hers. "I'm actually really happy to be here. OK?"

She smiled up at him. "OK," she replied quietly, a smile coming to her face.

Pam's eyes followed Jim as he walked away from her and took a seat at his old desk, which was now his new desk with Ryan officially gone. Then she grabbed the box off her desk and put it next to the basket for interoffice mail.

Karen and I never really became friends when she was here, but I hope she does well...in Utica.

5) Usually, Miles hated doing outdoors shots in the summer, but at least he got to shoot the end of the work day from his air conditioned car on the street.

Frankly, though, this was a wild goose chase -- he wasn't expecting to get the footage they wanted of Jim and Pam together. In fact, the only interesting part of his "stakeout" was when Jim left the office at 5:22 and began walking home. Miles couldn't figure out why video of Jim walking would be interesting or, really, why Jim was walking home in 90-degree weather.

Then he saw Pam come out the front door and trained the camera on her. At least she was getting in her car, which would make it much easier to follow her and record her trip home.

She pulled out and turned, passing Miles on her way out. He tried to follow her from a bit of a distance so she wouldn't see him -- and that's when he saw a tall man out of the corner of his eye. It looked like Jim was walking down the sidewalk as Pam parked her car in an open spot on the side of the road. Miles double checked the camera to make sure it was recording.

Through the view of his camera, he watched Jim open the car door, climb in, and kiss Pam.

Miles waited for them drive away, then slammed his car in reverse and parked it haphazardly in two spots in the lot. He took the stairs two at a time, bounding up them as fast as he could with the video tape held tightly in his hand.

The door to their production room next to the shelf of paper was unlocked and he could hear Doug and Eric talking inside.

"Guys! Guys! You are never going to believe what I just saw," he said excitedly as he shoved the tape into the playback machine.

As the monitors lit up with Miles' footage, Doug smiled triumphantly.

I mean I can see how it would seem a bit like we uh...how it looks like... I mean, now a days you can edit anything, right? I mean, you can edit anything to look like anything.

Yeah. I gave him a ride home because...we're dating.


sharky is the author of 26 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 7 members. Members who liked Five Times the Crew Got a Clue also liked 2729 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans