- Text Size +
Story Notes:

I've had this little idea in my brain for awhile and decided to write it. It's dark at some points, but as an aspiring writer, sometimes you have to tackle the things that make you struggle as a writer. So, here is my attempt at straying from the norm. We've all read fics here at MTT that have this theme and I thank every one of those people that have tried to flesh out this situation. It's tough to concoct this is your mind sometimes, and I think every one of you have done a superb job at it. Here's to my attempt!!!!

Also, thanks to EmilyHalpert and WildBerryJam for the wonderful beta job. When I was new to MTT, one of EH's stories really stirred something in me. Thus, the reason for this fic. Thank you, I'm grateful. :)

And, I'm not trying to theive from The Office in anyway. Trust me.  

 

Author's Chapter Notes:
The beginning of the saga....
The moment the knock on the door came, I knew my life would change forever. It was like I felt the winds of change coming that morning as I awoke with the sun. I felt it in my stomach as I watched him put on his shirt and tie, when I made him scrambled eggs and when I kissed him goodbye. Even as I watched the car pull from the driveway, I felt something in my body that was forewarning of what was about to come.
 
I was always told to never act on feeling alone. ‘Act on knowledge and heart‘, my father said. I learned that young and tried my best to obey his command. For once, I wish I had disobeyed.
 
I was standing at the kitchen sink, pondering the day’s events when I heard our dog barking from the backyard. It didn’t jar me from my daydream; it only reminded me that I was daydreaming. So, there I stood, standing over the sink, holding my cup of coffee with both hands, daydreaming about the days events. It wasn’t really daydreaming, but at that time, it was daydreaming. I wish I was still standing over the kitchen sink, wondering about when my family would arrive home for supper and what I was going to cook that night.
 
The knock came a little after the noon hour. I had done my morning chores and picked up my routine staring out the kitchen window out towards the backyard. That’s where the daydreaming used to always happen. So, when Tucker began to bark, it seemed out of place, but the whole morning had been that way, so I ignored the sound.
 
I remember thinking of the ingredients to his mother’s famous lasagna when I was startled by the pounding on the door. I nearly dropped my half empty coffee mug and shattered it. I remember I was upset by the fact that the person on the other side of the door had almost made me bust my favorite mug and I silently cursed them as I composed myself and walked towards the front door.
 
When the door came into my view, I stopped in my tracks for a second. It wasn’t a long enough pause to make notice of, but, I recall being stunned and slightly concerned at that moment even though I didn’t know why. The dark figure on the other side of the door was unexpected and I was immediately nervous as to the reason for their visit.
 
My hand reached out for the door handle, shaking and sweating. It was in that split second between the time I put my hand on the handle and when the door was completely opened, where I was at peace and had no care in the world. But then, once the door was wide open, it all came crashing in.
 
The man was kind. He was tall, lean, fit for his age, and above all, handsome. He struck me as someone that had a family, a successful career, and a great personality. But, when he delivered the news he had come to me to give, I didn’t care who he was or what his background was. I didn’t want to know him or his purpose on the earth. I wanted him to leave, to forget my face and my name and how I reacted when he told me the news.
 
The sun shined bright upon his shoulders. I squinted as the glare from his suit hit my eyes.
 
“Are you Mrs. Halpert?” he asked, his voice low.
 
I nodded, because I couldn’t find my voice to speak.
 
“How are you today?” he asked.
 
“Okay,” I said quickly, not returning the question. I didn’t care what his answer was at that moment.
 
“Good. May I come in?” he asked. I nodded again, holding open the door and leading him into the living room.
 
Before we sat, he held out his hand and introduced himself. His name was generic. Something that I blocked from my memory that day it entered my mind.
 
Tucker was still barking loudly in the backyard as the gentleman spoke. I focused on the sound of Tucker’s bark more than the man sitting in front of me. Something was wrong, I could tell. The man’s face was full of remorse and Tucker had never been this vocal in all his life. I had two sources-three if you counted my heart-oozing the stench of bad news on its way.
 
I remember tuning out what the man had said up until he spoke the words I had dreaded to hear.
 
“Ma’am, we found your husband dead this morning.”
 
In that moment, my world had stopped spinning.
Chapter End Notes:
Okay, you've read the first chapter, now tell me what you think. I've got a few more chapters before this gets wrapped up. But, before I do that, I need to know your thoughts. Yet again, it was my first attempt at writing a fic like this. You're constructive thoughts are always welcome. Thank you for reading!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans