- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

She thinks this is like getting a divorce, only worse because there aren’t any legal papers saying he was ever hers. Toby never did get around to having them sign that HR paperwork.

They trade cardboard boxes full of things neither of them will ever use again because it smells like her and reminds her of him but they do it anyway because that’s just what exes do.

Some things get lost in the transfer though.

She still has his iPod (he buys another), he still has one of her unfinished canvases (a pencil sketch of his sleeping profile, so she wouldn’t have been able to look at again anyway) and she still has his heart and he still has hers.

She doesn’t mind.

Maybe she can put it in her chest where this gaping hole reeks of rupture and his will work just fine in the stead of her own. It reminds her of that night when he shoved all this bloody mess into her hands, asking her to take it and deal with the guilt. He didn’t know he’d walked away with her soul stuck to his shoe.

But she tells herself that’s not logical.

Yet they still see each other everyday and it hurts to look at him with a piece of her missing so she’ll keep his heart for awhile, for the comfort.

She’ll give it back some day, she swears.

Chapter End Notes:
Reviews are love. Seriously.


bebitched is the author of 66 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Let Go in Small Doses also liked 823 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans