- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This isn't some great new storyline no one's ever thought of, but before I read any Office fics at all, I wanted to write this story. I'm taking a few liberties of course, and I don't think this would have actually happened on the show, but that's why we write fanfic, right? This is my first Office fic with multiple chapters, so wish me luck!
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is just a short little intro. Subsequent chapters will be longer!
Disclaimer: The Office and its characters do not belong to me. I'm just having a little fun with them. I claim no affiliation, so don't sue me, please! I need that money for law school!

“Roy, I don’t want to marry you,” she says one night. He is halfway through a box of pizza and a six-pack, and she is sitting quietly across from him picking at the pepperonis on her plate. The television is blaring from the other room so Roy won’t miss a moment of whatever sacred sporting even they’re showing on ESPN right now, and he barely even looks at her when she makes this declaration.

“Huh, Babe?” he asks, a mouth still full with pizza.

“I said, I don’t want to marry you anymore,” she repeats herself. It’s the most daring thing she’s ever done before, and she realises immediately it’s an utterly sad commentary on her life. She feels more brave in this instant than ever before.

She’s tried this more than once, and she knows what awaits her. Defying Roy is both dangerous and impossible. He doesn’t like her speaking her mind, and he likes it even less when speaking her mind means denying him something he wants. He’s taken his sweet time committing to her, but now he has. The wedding is paid for, the band is booked, the dress is bought, the tuxedo is rented. Everything is set for their wedding just weeks away. And suddenly she’s telling him no. Not anymore. She doesn’t want his ring and his house and his babies. She doesn’t want this life he’s going to give her that’s really no life at all. She doesn’t want him. She knows what this is going to mean for her, but for once, she’s not afraid. For years the punches were enough to subdue her. But lately, her desire to deny him has grown exponentially. Tonight, her desire for a different life surpasses her desire to stay safe. She knows all of this is directly related to a certain salesman who sits across from her, a salesman who knows her better than Roy ever has or ever will. He supports her dreams, encourages her to want more, inspires her to be more.

That makes Jim Halpert almost more dangerous than Roy Anderson. Wanting more than Roy and the life he gives her always ends badly. She knows this, and yet she loves him anyway. He makes her laugh more than anyone she’s ever known. He treats her with respect. She looks forward to her boring job because she gets to see him, gets to escape the painful reality of her life at home.

Two days ago, he ruined that. He destroyed their easy, fun relationship by confessing his true feelings. Of course, she’s lying if she says she didn’t know they were there all along. She’s seen it in every sidelong glance and smile, but she’s ignored it, pretended it didn’t exist because she knew it could never be. Not with Roy in the picture, and he would never let her go. Every day she’s daydreamed about going back to the start ten years ago, about saying no the first time Roy asked her out. Every time she’s looked up and seen that look on Jim’s face, she’s imagined what would have happened if they had both been availble when they first met.

But if Roy has taught her anything, it’s that dreams are just dreams. Silly and unattainable and completely impractical. For a while, the fantasies were enough.

Jim, however, was not content with daydreams and too-short moments. He saw his last chance slipping away and seized it. But she was scared, and she said no. He turned around and walked away from her, and for two days, she lay in bed with her knees tucked to her chest, replaying those moments over and over again in her head.

Tonight, something finally snapped in her mind. Sitting here at the table watching what she’s about to give her life to, she realises whatever happens as a result of this decision is better than spending the rest of her life married to this man and longing for another. So when he slams down his beer can on the kitchen table, she barely even blinks. She’s taking a chance now. A chance on happiness, a chance on him.

Roy is almost too stunned to react. He never expected her to end this, especially when he is so close to complete control of her life. His shock probably actually saves her from experiencing his true wrath, and she is more than grateful when she slips away before his rage reaches its full potential. A few bruises and an immense waves of overwhelming relief are the only souvenirs left over from ten years of hurt and pain and suffering.

She is free. She is finally free.

She thinks about calling Jim and telling him the good news, but as she climbs into her car, she catches her own reflection in the glass. Tears stream down her cheeks, a few bruises mar her cheeks, and her t-shirt hangs strangely off her shoulder. She isn’t really in any condition to go see him right now, and she knows she needs time. Time to process, time to think, time to heal. As much as she wants to go to him and curl up in his arms, it isn’t fair to either of them to do it right now.

And now they have the rest of their lives. Roy is finally gone. She can finally kiss Jim and not fear the repercussions. She can finally, finally, finally love him without worrying about the danger she is putting him in.

So she rips the engagement ring off her finger and starts the car, waiting until she is on the highway before tossing the piece of worthless metal out the window. She feels a little better with each mile that separates her from the symbol of her imprisonment, and though she doesn’t have a clue where she’s going, she knows everything is going to be okay.

She can’t wait until Monday.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans