- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Please review, those things make my day.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Part 1. What Jim was thinking.
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

********************************************************

All thought stopped when the note fell out of the folder and into his lap.

“Don’t forget us when you’re famous – Pam”

It was the sum of what he’d be leaving behind.

Her.
Her smile.
Her friendship.
Her presence.
All the possibilities.

David was asking basic questions and being jovial, but Jim's eyes and thoughts kept going back to the beacon in his lap. He’d just done a very good job at forming complete and meaningful sentences to the questions asked of him when David asked, relaxed in his chair, “ What did you like the most about Scranton?”

There was one answer. The truth that had kept him there, sane and happy, even when he thought he was neither. “Friendships”, he said simply. And it was true. The bedrock of his thoughts and happiness was in Scranton, probably sitting at her desk.

He tuned back in to David, “…ten years – where do you see yourself?”

Jim pursed his lips and then took a deep, cleansing breath. His thoughts were finally aligning with what his heart had known for years. He knew what he wanted in ten years, and it wasn’t in New York. “Well David, when you put it like that…” He closed his folder. “I have…a confession to make.” He rested his elbows on his knees as he looked him in the eye. “ I think I have some things…some personal matters to attain before I can promise the ‘long haul’.”

David’s brows drew together as he too leaned forward. “What are you saying, Jim?”

“I’m withdrawing from consideration for the position.” he said candidly and stood up.

“Well, I hate to hear that,” David said with real regret. “We could have used someone of your caliber in New York…even if you are a Sixer’s fan.” But he was smiling as he too stood to shake hands.

“Good luck in the hunt,” and with that he left the office, feeling calmer than he had in months.
Chapter End Notes:
Stayed tuned for his talk with Karen.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans