- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The empty desk.
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
********************************************************
On Monday morning Jim got out of his car and smiled when he saw that Pam’s was the only other one in the lot. He was walking towards the entrance when his phone rang. He smiled widely when he saw the number.

“Geez, Pam.” he answered before she could speak. “Calling me at this hour!” He chuckled. “And you said I was calling too much?”

Pam had been at her parents all weekend and it had driven him nuts. He’d compensated by texting her or calling her about anything that had entered his head that he wanted to share with her. Suddenly though, it had seemed as though everything he saw made him want to tell her about it. He’d even snapped a picture of a bunch of flowers and sent it along with a corny text message. She’d shortly replied back with a simple, ‘thanks cheap bastard’, making him laugh.

“You’re not going to believe this.” Pam told him. “Karen’s gone.” She stared at the empty desk. It was the oddest dream-come-true she’d ever gotten.

“Huh?” Jim said. She could hear the elevator pinging as he pressed buttons.

“Karen’s gone.” She repeated. “Her desk’s completely empty, I kid you not.” She closed her phone as Jim entered behind her.

“Oh man.” He said quietly.

They looked at each other for a moment, each of them wondering slightly how they were supposed to react…especially in front of each other.

Pam’s reaction was one of slightly guilty elation. Despite Jim’s actions and assurances, she had been naturally uneasy having a beautiful rival, even an ex-rival, anywhere near Jim. She didn’t hate Karen, or even dislike her. Looking up at Jim, she empathized with her for any sense of heartbreak at the loss of him. She’d been there. She glanced away. But she’d stayed and she was still glad she was gone.

Jim’s feelings were mixed, but mainly relieved. He wasn't happy he’d hurt her, but this was part of dating. He watched Pam go around to her desk to check her messages.

At least until you found what you were looking for.

Pam had just put the phone up to her ear when Jim touched her arm. He took the phone from her hand and set it back in the cradle, all the while holding her eyes with his. He paused for a brief second to listen for the sounds of anyone coming in, but heard nothing. She had gone completely still, looking up at him with large eyes. He touched her chin with his thumb as he leaned down.

He brushed his lips over hers lightly, back and forth, before settling on hers in a kiss as sweet and refreshing as anyone in love might wish. His lips sipped from hers for a few seconds before he straightened back up. Her eyes blinked slowly back open to look at him. “Good morning.” He said softly, his voice both happy and quietly intimate.

She smiled back, the same happy smile. “Good morning.”

Jim started to lean back down when he heard the car door closing in the lot. He leaned back with a sigh and started back to his desk. “So,” he asked with a smile. “Did you miss me?”

“Ha!” Pam said as she regained her equilibrium from Jim’s ‘good morning’. “Would that be before or after the hourly phone calls and messages? Oh, and Jim,” she said helpfully, “Great first impression on my Dad, by the way. I believe the phrase, ‘pain in the ass’, was muttered several times in association with your name - especially at dinner time.”

“Yeah, but you answered it each time, didn’t you?” He said and then just smiled at her, which made her miss the beginning of the voicemail from corporate. She had to start over and keep her eyes resolutely on the phone.

Oscar walked in. “Wow! Where’s Karen?"

******************************************************
Chapter End Notes:
Next: Musical Desks

Please review:)

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans