- Text Size +
Story Notes:
A short little one-shot about Pam being introduced to Jim's family. The title comes from another song from Once and it really has nothing to do with the story other than I'm absolutely obsessed with the movie and the soundtrack lately.
Author's Chapter Notes:
I think reviews are quite nice.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

You watch her as she laughs, her head tilted back, curls falling over her shoulder, her eyes squeezed shut. She laughs with her whole body, and you imagine it starting in her toes and swelling through her body before spilling out of her mouth. She's beautiful when she laughs, really laughs, like she's doing now. She's laughing so hard that she has to lean against you, and you don't mind.


Your brother gives you a look, raises one eyebrow and smiles and nods his head in Pam's direction. Jon was the only one in your family that you introduced Karen too, and he didn't like her too much. When you introduced Pam to him today, he gave her a real smile and a bear hug and pulled you to the side a few minutes later.


"She's great, Jim, really great," he says, and you smile and nod, because she is great, and somehow you always knew that she would get along with your family.

You agreed to come up for your parents' annual August barbeque, and invited Pam along. You were worried that maybe it was too soon, it had only been a couple of months since you started dating, but if feels like so much longer. She jumped at the chance, and on the drive up, with one leg curled under her, and her fingers stretched out along the window tapping to the beat of the music, you think about how much you love her, and it's not just the summer heat that is making you feel warm. She suggests playing the license plate game, and when she wins, makes it to "z" before you, she turns her head to face you, a crooked smile on her face and her eyes dancing with mischief and happiness, and you halfheartedly accuse her of cheating and watch as she animatedly defends herself.


"I think you lied about finding the x," you say, and bite your lip to stop from grinning as she launches into a full description of the car with the x license.


Your parents seem to really like her, and she blushes when she hears that she's the first girl you've ever brought home. She's adorable when she blushes, and you add it to the ever growing list of things you love about her.


When the last of the guests leave later that night, Jon suggests starting a fire, and you steal Pam from your sister Annie, who tells you,


"Oh my God, Jim, I absolutely love her! She's wonderful," which you can't help but agree with. You tuck your hand into Pam's much smaller one, and you marvel at how you're allowed to do that now. You sit by the fire, listening to your family tell Pam stories of you as a kid, and she doesn't move her hand away, even though both your palms are sweaty, and it's really too hot to be holding hands, or sitting as close together as you are.


She yawns and finally you glance at your watch and tell your parents that it's about time you and Pam got on the road to drive the hour and half home. They argue with you to stay the night, but neither of you brought an over night bag, and you politely decline. Pam and Annie exchange phone numbers and emails and promise to maybe do lunch soon, and Jon just can't keep grinning at you, and your dad claps you on the back and says,


"I'm glad you never gave up, she's wonderful, Jim."


She falls asleep on the ride home ten minutes into the ride, and you keep glancing over to the passenger seat where she's curled up with her head resting against the cool window. You keep the music low to keep from waking her up, and a little less than an hour and a half later you pull into her driveway.


When you park the car, she blinks a few times and it takes her a minute to realize where she is.


"We're home already?" She asks. "Oh I'm sorry, I fell asleep. I should have stayed awake for the license game rematch."


"Next time," you promise, and she invites you to stay the night, and you don't have to be asked twice, turning off the car and wrapping an arm around her as you make it to her front door. She's asleep again as soon as her head hits the pillow a few minutes later, and you wrap your arms around her and pull her closer to you, breathing in the scent of her hair.


She's beautiful, and wonderful, and all yours.



sillyrabbit519 is the author of 14 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 12 members. Members who liked You Must Have Fallen from the Sky also liked 2938 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans