- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sometimes you're not as sneaky as you think. :)  And bonus!  I take care of two challenges at once.  Yay me!!

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Careless

Pam decides, just in case, that she'll write to Jim in code - and always reply to a random email instead of starting one from scratch.  She knows how Michael is and would rather keep him out of her sex life.

Except this time, she hits "reply to all" instead of just "reply" and her email is carbon copied.

It's not really all that bad of a mistake, considering who the unintended recipient is.

She doesn't realize it's the second time she's done it.

Phyllis smiles as she cracks the code (taking the first letter of each word and forming a completely different message) and scribbles on her steno pad.

Just you wait until I get you alone tonight.

She looks up and watches as Jim blushes.  He puts down his pen and smiles over at Pam.

Those two are just too cute for words, she thinks, smiling wider.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Angela has been suspicious for weeks.  Pam seems overly cheerful and Roy seems absolutely morose.  

She realizes that she hasn't seen his dimples for days but she pushes the thought aside immediately.

It's entirely inappropriate.

She knows the wedding is cancelled but Pam hasn't really offered the reason why.  It's not really any of her business, but she's pretty sure why the whole thing was called off.

She pulls into the parking lot and her suspicions are confirmed as she spies Pam leaving the dry cleaners, clutching a bunch of freshly laundered men's button down shirts.

I always knew she was a hussy, she thinks with disgust.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Kelly grabs Ryan's arm and pulls him closer when she sees who has taken seats ten rows in front of them.

They're at a theatre two towns outside of Scranton because Kelly likes the popcorn better here.

"Omigod!"  She squeals.  "Look!" 

Oblivious to the fact that they've been found out Pam buries her face in Jim's shoulder.  She pulls back and wipes tears of laughter from her eyes.

Jim smiles widely and then leans his head back to toss a kernel of popcorn in his mouth.

Ryan reclines slightly in his chair and sighs.  He's thankful for the distraction.  Maybe this will keep Kelly from asking him about the status their relationship.

For the 4,226th time.

He's tried but he still doesn't know what she means by whether they are "Vince and Jen" exclusive or "Brad and Angelina" exclusive. 

He's kind of afraid to find out.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Creed hears the girl with the annoying laugh say something about the hot new office romance.

He hasn't the faintest idea who the hell she's talking about.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Oscar thanks the cashier as he pays for the cashmere sweater. Gil's had his eye on it for months.  He can't wait to surprise him with it.  He turns and sees them standing near a table filled with ties.

"You should wear pink more often."  Pam says with a huge grin. 

Jim sighs.  "I don't see what's wrong with this tie."  He looks down at the one he's wearing.

She tugs on it gently until he bends his head and his lips brush hers.  "It's boring.  It's brown.  And besides.  I'll make you a bet."

Now she has his attention.  His eyebrows rise.  "Terms and conditions of my choosing if you lose?" 

"If it has to be that way."  Pam shrugs. She's giddy as she sees the look in his eyes and is suddenly hoping that she loses the bet. "You get this tie and wear it to work and I guarantee you Michael buys one just like it for Ryan within a week." 

She's probably right, but the look on her face has him taking the tie from her hands and heading to the counter.  He can't even pretend to resist her.

Oscar slips away silently.  He understands why some people choose to keep their personal lives to themselves.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo 

Kevin hears familiar voices as he stands in the back room of the video store.  Most people were into Netflix lately but he liked to be able to actually see the packaging.

Sometimes you could really judge the quality of the "movie" by the cover shot.

There is a loud burst of laughter and he hovers in the doorway and watches them together.

"We are not renting that." 

"C'mon.  Why not?"  Pam pouts.

"Because.  A) I know for a fact you already own Legally Blond. You can't fool me Beesly."  He gives her a huge grin.  "B) You not only own it - you also own the sequel."

"Guilty."  She replies with a shrug.  "But I'll tell you what."  She gives him a come hither look and lowers her voice to a husky whisper.  She rises on her toes and kisses Jim softly and slowly. 

Kevin can't tell from this angle but he's pretty sure she uses her tongue.

"You let me watch it tonight and I promise I'll repay you in sexual favors."  She giggles as she pulls away.

"You've got a deal."  Jim laughs as he grabs her hand and pulls her to the door, nearly knocking over a display of new releases in the process.

"Niiiice."  Kevin grins and turns back to the task at hand.  Suddenly inspired he grabs "Illegally Blonde" from the shelf in front of him.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Meredith's had a rough day.  She sits at the arcade, flipping through People magazine.  She checks her wallet because she has a feeling that pretty soon Jake's going to run out of quarters.

The sounds and lights and squealing kids aren't doing much to help her headache.

She hears a deep laugh coming from behind her.  It sounds pretty familiar.   She turns around in her chair.

"Oh you are so asking for it."  Jim gives Pam a menacing look.

"Sore loser.  C'mon Jim.  Just say it."  She gives him her sweetest smile.

He shakes his head at her and stands his ground.  "I will not.  It was a fluke.  There is no way you are the "Whack a Mole" champion of the world."

"It's so sad that you're so in denial."  She sighs back at him.

He snags her waist and pulls her close.  He presses a quick kiss to her forehead.  "Let's go Beesly. Double or nothing."

Meredith smiles slightly as she watches them.  She always thought they would make a cute couple.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Dwight knows for sure they are just messing with him.  It's all part of an elaborate plan.  He is sure of it.

He's caught them four times now, each date recorded meticulously in a notebook he maintains to keep track of Jim's various offenses. 

First the stairwell, then the break room, once in the parking lot and now at her desk after office hours.

He has to hand it to them.  They are pretty convincing.  It actually looks like they're enjoying kissing each other. 

Still, Dwight is sure it's all a ruse to make him believe they are romantically involved so that he'll mention it to HR.   He knows that once Toby questions them they'll deny it and make him look foolish.

They think they're so smart.  He shakes his head and shuts the notebook.  No one pulls one over on Dwight K. Schrute.

Especially not Jim Halpert.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

It's always been her favorite restaurant.  Roy thinks that it's because it's fancy and expensive.  She always made him dress up when they came here. 

He figures it's as good a place as any for a first date.

At least he thought so until he saw the hostess seat the two of them at a corner table on the other side of the room. 

Suddenly he can't concentrate on anything the girl sitting in front of him has to say.

It's not like he didn't already know.  It's just always shocking to actually see them together with his own eyes.

Pam smiles in a way Roy hasn't seen in…well…probably he never has.  Her eyes are shining and she's clutching Jim's hand across the table. 

She takes her fork and spears something off of Jim's plate.  Roy remembers how annoying he used to find that when she'd do it to him.

Halpert doesn't seem to mind at all.   He's just looking back at her - all sappy and googly eyed.

Figures.

Roy takes a deep breath and gazes at the blond across from him.  She's got a cute smile and - Darryl was right - she's got an amazing body. 

Maybe this whole thing wasn't such a bad idea after all.

He takes a sip of his beer and smiles over at her. 

When they finish dessert his date blushes a bit as she leans close to ask if he'd like to go back to her place.

It sounds like a great idea to him.

As he follows her out he doesn't even look back.  For the first time in months, Pam is the furthest thing from his mind.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

"You see - I always knew they'd get together.  Ever since that night two years ago when Jim confided in me - you know - as one of his best friends."

Michael beams at the camera and then regards the wedding invitation in his hand.

"Gotta hand it to those crazy kids.  They did a fantastic job keeping it under wraps all this time.  But now it feels good to know that I have confirmation."

He gives a small satisfied smile.  "I was right all along."



xoxoxo is the author of 67 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 29 members. Members who liked Careless also liked 2571 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans