- Text Size +
Five Nice Things Toby's Received From His Coworkers
by Steph

Summary: Everyone needs to have a good day every once in awhile. Sometimes it's the little things that get you through the day.

I'm sure it's pretty obvious by now that I love writing Toby. And that I tend to take certain themes and ideas from previous fics of mine and reuse them.

Versions of two of the chapters - A Compliment and A Pep Talk - were my (at the time unrelated) entries in a fic-a-thon, so it might be familiar.

Spoilers: Well, this goes from Season Two to where we are in Season Four and beyond and includes one of the new scenes from Dunder Mifflin Infinity that was recently shown.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


---

Kelly asked him if he would drive her home after the Dundies. She wasn't drunk - not like Pam and wasn't that crazy how drunk Pam was? - but she had had a little to drink and she just wanted to be safe. And she knew that Angela was the official designated driver, but she didn't like it when Angela got all judgmental and made comments about her drinking too much. Oh and sometimes Angela said she dressed like a whore. Which wasn't very nice. And maybe she could deal with that if it were just the two of them in the car, but Angela was also taking Pam home and she was really afraid Pam would puke everywhere. So did he mind driving her home?

"No, it's fine," Toby said, once she had taken a breath.

"Thank you," she said. "You're awesome."

When they were in the car, she started telling him about how stupid tonight was, but the fajitas were really good. Which led her to talk about some new restaurants she had read about and she really wished she had a boyfriend who would take her to cool places.

And did he think she would ever find a guy like that?

He nodded, looking distracted. She frowned, "You're so not listening to me."

"Sorry," he said. "Got a lot on my mind. My work is never done."

"What? Someone made a complaint tonight?"

"Yeah," he said. He sounded tired. "It never stops."

She leaned forward to change his radio station to something actually listen-able. "Does it make you sad that you never get any awards?"

"No," he said, changing the radio station back. "I know it's Michael's show. And I know that if Michael ever did give me an award it would be for something like 'Creepiest' or 'Ugliest' and I really don't need that inscribed on a trophy."

She looked out the window before looking back at him. "If you had a choice, what award would you give yourself?"

"Well," he said, quite seriously, "I think it goes without saying that I should have received the 'Spicy Curry' award."

She giggled and swatted his arm. "You want it that badly you can have it. It's just a stupid bowler."

"It's okay. But thanks. I'm just there to collect complaints."

"I guess it could have been worse," Kelly said. "You could have gotten the award Kevin got. Gross. And in front of Stacy too. That sucks."

"Yeah, that's not really something you want on a trophy either."

"Well, if I was running the awards I would have given you one."

He looked away from the road for a second to smile slightly at her. "Thanks Kelly."

"You're welcome." She changed the radio station again, because Toby's taste in music was terrible "I would have been so embarrassed if I had brought a guy to this." She paused. "If I had a guy to bring to this."

He changed the radio station back. She continued talking just so she wouldn't be able to hear the crappy music. "It's been soooo long, Toby. Seriously. It's so hard to meet guys these days. I feel like all I do is work. I need to get out more. Or maybe I should just date someone from work."

"That's really not recommended."

"But that's only if one of the people is crazy or something. If you're both normal it's fine. It could even be really romantic. Did you know that Dwight has a huge crush on me?"

"No, but--"

"I wouldn't date him though. He's too weird. Who else is there? Jim's hot."

"Not hottest in the office though."

"Well of course you wouldn't think he..." Then she laughed. "Oh! You mean Ryan's award. How creepy is that?"

"I shouldn't have joked about that," Toby said quickly, turning on her street. "That wasn't appropriate."

"Michael's the one who was totally inappropriate, but I'll pretend you didn't say it if you want. Even though it was funny." She mimed zipping her lips. Then she paused, considering. "I agree with him though. Ryan is really hot. And he's probably more fun than Jim. I would totally go out with Ryan. Do you think he'd go out with me?"

"I don't know," he said. He parked the car. "And I should probably say again that it isn't a good idea."

"Toby," she said, sounding annoyed. "I told you we wouldn't be crazy about it." She unbuckled her seat belt. "Walk me up? This is a crap neighborhood and there was some chick here who totally got mugged or something."

"Sure."

While they walked, she started thinking about Ryan. He was really cute. Pretty eyes. Smart too, she'd bet.

Toby was a genius for suggesting him for her.

In front of her house, she smiled at him. It was sweet of him to walk her up. And give her a ride. Without once calling her a whore.

She should say something nice to him. To show her appreciation.

"You know if you didn't have a kid, I'd totally consider dating you. You're cute for an older guy."

He looked like he didn't know how to respond. "Umm..."

She kissed his cheek. "Thank you for walking me." She thought about it for a second and handed him her Dundie. "Here you go, Mr. Spicy Curry. It's all yours."

He looked at the bowler for a few seconds, before finally smiling. "You sure?"

"Definitely."

"Thanks," he said. "See you later."

"See you," she said, and closed the door.

It made her feel good to give Toby the award. She knew she'd just get another equally stupid one next year.

And he would probably never get one.

She was such a nice person sometimes.

She would make sure to tell Ryan that on Monday.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans