- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Just a simple idea had and decided to post.

Unbeta'd

Disclaimer: I own only 3 seasons worth of dvds, nothing else. 

The Dress

 

Pam steps out of the dressing room and in front of the 3 sided mirror. She runs her hands down the bodice of the dress and flattens down the skirt then looks up at her reflection. This was the final fitting before the wedding, which was in a week.

The dress she has to admit is beautiful. It is strapless with a beaded, corseted bodice. The beading is intricate and goes from the neckline to the hips where the dress poofs out and is covered in tulle. The dress reminds her of the gowns that the princesses in the fairytales from her childhood would wear. She really likes the dress, but looking at herself she feels like she is drowning in a sea of white fluff.

She brushes off that feeling to pre wedding jitters, but she can’t look at herself any more and turns from the mirror. With her back to the reflection she closes her eyes and imagines what her life will be.

She sees three boys with curly, blondish hair, bright blue eyes and each one has dimples. They look like their father, Roy and they all take after and act like him as well. She still works at reception at Dunder Mifflin, without Jim just as she is doing now. Her life is a scripted routine; breakfast, drop kids off at school, work and then dinner on the table by 6:30. There is no change, no adventure, and no spark to off set the monotony of her days. This life is also sad. There are drunken fights, arguments over nothing and just basic no feeling sex. There are also the horrible, childish sounding endearments like “Pammy”, “Baby” and “Sweetie.” In this life she feels trapped and there is no escape.

Pam opens her eyes and she is breathing heavily. Even just the image of that being her future scares her. She turns back to the mirror and sees the tears in her eyes. These are the tears of someone who is scared and doesn’t want to settle. She knows that, what she just pictured can’t be her life, can’t be her “ever after.”

That night Pam called off her wedding to Roy.

******************************************************************

 

Pam steps in front of the full length mirror in her mother’s bedroom. She’s looking at herself in her wedding dress one last time before the wedding tomorrow. She smoothes the silk of the dress down and spins. When she faces the mirror again her smile is broad and she can’t help but feel beautiful.

The dress is fairly simple, but the small details make it glamorous. The lace and beaded cap sleeves make it modest and sophisticated. The beading that drips down the front, back and sides give it just the right amount of sparkle. She knew that this dress was her, perfect for starting her new life the minute she tried it on the first time. Trying it on again she feels even better about the dress.

She turns to looks at the back and then closes her eyes. This time she sees a large yet cozy two story house with a terrace leading off the master bedroom. She sees twin boys with floppy brown hair, her smile and the expressive face of their father, Jim. Both boys have a combination of their parents characteristics especially their wit, affinity for practical jokes and compassion, yet one has the athletic talent of Jim and the other was graced with her artistic abilities. She pictures herself working at a design firm and Jim in a journalist and working on his first novel. This time she hears constant laughter, small arguments over trivial things that a quickly resolved and most importantly she hears herself being called, “Mom”, “Pam”, “Love” and still her favourite “Beesly.” There is happiness and unconditional love. There are surprises, date nights, spontaneity and a lot of passion. There is no feeling trapped, there is freedom, yet the desire to stay is greater than that.

She opens her eyes. She has tears forming at the corners. She knows that these are tears of joy for the life that she truly wants and that she is going to be getting. She knows that three years ago when she left Roy it was the right thing to do. She knows that marrying Jim is what she was meant to do.

The next afternoon she became Pamela Beesly-Halpert.

Chapter End Notes:

Reviews make me happy

<a href="http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x263/tanjastar/RoyDress.jpg">Roy Dress</a>

<a href="http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x263/tanjastar/jimdress2.jpg">Jim Dress</a>

 



PokerChips is the author of 11 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked The Dress also liked 2097 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans