- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
A little Sunday fluff.
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended. 

 

 

You feel his eyes on you as you restock the pens.  It sends a shiver down your spine and forces you to reorganize the notepads and post-its.  Just like you did yesterday.

 

You attempt to reach the top shelf, but even on tiptoes, know you will need help.  He is there, with his hand on your lower back, within seconds.  He leans down, close to your ear, and whispers. 

 

“What are you trying to reach?”

 

“Nothing.”

 

He smiles without looking at you.

 

“Make something up.”

 

You point to a 3-ring binder.  He effortlessly picks it up and hands it to you, careful to brush your fingers with his.  You lock eyes for just a second before turning away.

 

“Thanks.”

 

“You’re welcome.”

 

You walk back to your desk with a flush on your cheeks and a smile on your lips.

 

**********************************************************************

 

There was a time when you could get through an entire work day without touching him.  You had no choice.  He wasn’t yours.  You weren’t his.

 

He was your best friend and that was enough.

 

You told yourself that being attracted to him was a testament to his good looks and charm. 

 

And you convinced yourself that you weren’t jealous of his relationships, but concerned that he was dating people that weren’t right for him.

 

Because he was your friend. 

 

And when he invited you to his house for a party, you ignored the rush of excitement you felt at getting to see where he lived.

 

And when you discovered he was no longer dating Katy, you chalked up your relief to wanting what was best for him.

 

Because he was your best friend and you cared about him.

 

************************************************************************

 

Then one night he told you he was in love with you. 

 

And your world was spinning and it was all too much.

 

So you instinctively said “I can’t” but you knew deep down you could.

 

He was your best friend.  And he was everything. 

 

And he was pushing you when all you wanted to do was stand still.  He was forcing you to confront everything you worked so hard to suppress for so long.

 

He had always wanted what was best for you.  And in your heart you knew that what was best for you was him.

 

So when he kissed you twenty minutes later, you kissed him back. 

 

Because he was your best friend and you were in love with him.

 

************************************************************************

 

You hear him clear his throat and watch as he picks up his mug and heads towards the kitchen.

 

Your heart races as you quickly look around the room.  Everyone is busy, or at least pretending to be.

 

He smiles at you before closing the blind.

 

You count to five without adding “Mississippi” to the numbers.

 

Halfway there, you glance over your shoulder to see if anyone is watching you.  They aren’t.

 

Before the door closes behind you, his lips are pressed to yours.

 

“Hey.”

 

“Hi.”


His hands frame your face as he kisses you again.

 

You run your hands through his hair and whisper “I love you.”

 

Because he is your boyfriend and you’ve never been happier.



bitterpill is the author of 26 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 13 members. Members who liked Her Best Friend also liked 2628 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans