- Text Size +
Story Notes:

So, secretly, I'm a sucker for angst. I can do fluff and I love Jim and Pam together but sometimes I like to imagine life differently than the way I would want it to be. Like I KNOW there's no way Jim would ever really cheat on Pam but I think it's fun to explore the not-so-canons and the never-would-happens. So here's my take, enjoy. :)

Story/chapter titles are from Matchbox Twenty's "If I Fall."

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

Jim Halpert knows he has a pretty charmed existence. He has an incredible family, good friends, an amazing girlfriend, and an okay job that he's good at. Except that the okay job he's good at is really a job he hates sometimes but then he thinks he wouldn't have the amazing girlfriend without the okay job so it evens out. And really, he knows he's lucky, maybe even luckier than he deserves to be, so he doesn't like to complain too much.

He tells himself it's not too bad to settle for one thing when you have so much of the good things. He thinks that he finds himself saying that a lot, like a mantra to get through the day sometimes and it unnerves him a little. He's a pretty mellow guy, never had the flair for the dramatic, and he doesn't like thinking about things he can't control. Except that this IS kind of something he can control and maybe he hates himself a little that he hasn't done anything about it. So while he tries to rationalize it all in his head, he knows that at the end of the day, he really has no one but himself to blame.

"Jim, hey."

Jim snaps out of his thoughts and returns his gaze to Pam, who is sitting across from him at the kitchen table, and he quickly realizes he's been spacing out for who knows long with a barely-touched plate of lasagna in front of him.

"Oh." Jim clears his throat and offers a small smile. "I'm sorry. I was just.. spacing."

"Yeah, I could see that." Pam replies, taking a drink from her wine, her eyes never leaving his. "You okay?"

"Yeah, everything's fine." Jim says, following her gesture and taking a very big swig of his beer. "Just thinking about how beautiful you are."

"Heh." Pam laughs a little and shakes her head, cutting up a piece of her lasagna. "Nice save, except.. not really."

"Seriously." Jim replies, nodding his head empathically, glad that the subject seems to have changed. He really wasn't in the mood to talk about it. "It astounds me sometimes, your beauty."

"I hope you know those cheesy lines of yours are really, really bad. And I hope you never got laid using one of them."

"Ah, but Beesly. However did I manage you then? Certainly it wasn't my good looks."

"You're right. It wasn't."

Jim leans back in his seat, and finishes his beer in a final gulp and smiles. "So what was it?"

Pam chuckles slightly and looks at him a moment, grabbing the wine bottle in front of her and refilling her glass. She looks at him again, and shakes her head. "If only I knew."

Jim leans into the table, crossing his arms in front of him. He looks at her smiling and feels his heart so wide and full and wonders for what seems like the millionth time what he ever did to deserve her. "Oh, you know."

Pam's eyes are twinkling and dinner is long forgotten and she thinks to herself that this is when she loves him the most, when they have moments like these that are so them and she wonders how they ever went so long without this in their lives. "Really, Jim. It's a mystery of the ages. We'll never know how you managed to snag a gem like me."

"Whaaaat? I think that should be reversed, I am clearly the catch."

Pam giggles. "Hmm, you may be onto something there but let's be honest. What would you ever do without me?"

Jim smiles and pushes the chair from under him and walks to her. He stands in front of her and grabs her hand and pulls him to her. He leans over her and brushes her hair from her eyes and smiles. "Now that," he whispers, as he leans to kiss her. "is the mystery of the ages."

***

Jim lays in bed, the clock next to him telling him it's almost 11:00 and Pam's snoring a little as she sleeps on his bare chest, her arm wrapped tightly around his waist. He's a little sleepy but his mind is racing as he absently plays with her hair.

What a night, he thinks. Dinner clearly was never consumed and was never really thought about again as they spent the next two or so hours in bed. It still seems pretty surreal to him that after almost a year together, they still have such a raw passion and desire for each other but hey, he isn't really complaining.

It was a very, very good night.

Jim turns on his side and pulls Pam closer as she nestles into him and softly sighs against his neck. He smiles and wraps his arms around her a little bit tighter.

He's not really sure if his life is really all that he wants to be and that it ever will be but he also knows that it can't get any better than what he has beside him. Yeah, Pam Beesly is pretty much the best thing that's ever happened to him and that's the one thing he's pretty damn sure about.

Chapter End Notes:
Just a little fluff before it all goes downhill. Heh heh heh heh...heh. Thanks for reading! :)

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans