- Text Size +

“I’m in love with you.”

He picked those words on purpose. He was in love with Pam, and there was no denying it. After years of keeping quiet and watching his life pass him by, he needed to do something. He knew he needed to tell her, and he knew he needed to do it with these 5 words. He was scared. If she rejected him, he knew it would be all over. He would be broken, unrepairable. When Jan told him he needed to tell someone about his transfer, he knew it was time.

“I’m in love with you.”

“I can’t.” She choked.

And just like that, his world fell apart. Darkness closed all around him. His only beacon of light was gone. One hasty move and six months later, he still felt darkness every time he thought of her. He was still in love with her, and there was no denying it. Waking up was actually painful. He hated going into work, because she wasn’t there. There was no “we” anymore. Just him. All alone.

-----------------------

“I love you.”

It was whispered, so quiet, in fact, that he thought he heard it wrong.

“What did you say?” He whispered.

“I love you.” She said again, as a single tear threatened to run down her cheek.

And just like that, his world was turned upside down. The ache that he’d felt in his heart for the last year magically melted away, and was replaced by a burning, so strong, that he couldn’t speak. All he could do was look at her. His beautiful Pam, the woman who was part of his broken heart, had just helped piece it back together. He gently wiped away the tear from her face, and took a deep breath, praying for the strength to speak.

“I love you, too.”

No, he wasn’t “in love” with her now. He was “in love” with her before, back when he said those 5 words. Love is different when it’s one sided. With the love that he felt for her right now, at this very moment, he began to question if it was really even love before. No, it was love now, pure and simple.

He wrapped his arms around her, and smiled. So this is how it feels.

Chapter End Notes:
Bored...again. Let me know what you think!


malaz85 is the author of 10 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked What Love Feels Like also liked 2065 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans