- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

I know it's been done before, but this is how I imagine the dates going.

Jim had a lot of time to think. The drive from New York City to Scranton is long, but he feels like it’s nothing compared to the road he’s been traveling on for the last few years. He knows what he’s going to do when he gets there, but part of him is hoping he didn’t misinterpret things. He seems to have a knack for doing that. He’s got a million thoughts rolling through his mind, his heart won’t stop racing, and he’s having trouble going the speed limit. He can’t wait to get there, to see Pam. But even though he’s horribly distracted, and can’t focus, all he can picture is her. He loves everything about her. He wants to be with her forever, just so he can give her what she deserves-true happiness.

He pulls into the Dunder-Mifflin parking lot, picks the spot next to Pam’s car, turns his car off, and closes his eyes. He dreams of the future. The life he wants, and the woman he wants in it. It’s so close, he can feel it. But then he thinks about reality. “She’s already rejected you twice, what makes you think it won’t happen again?” He blocks those thoughts out, because he knows if he keeps thinking about them, he won’t ask her. “Time to go, Halpert.” He gets out of his car, and walks into the building.

---------------

She says yes, and as he leaves the room, and runs out to his car, they’re both oblivious to the grins that are plastered on each other’s faces. As he showers, gets dressed, and even stops to buy her flowers, all he can think of is two little words.

Date. Pam.

He’s going on a date with Pam. Even as he drives into her apartment complex, he still can’t believe it. He’s nervous, and it shows. He hasn’t stopped sweating since he left the florist, his big hands, which are already clumsy, seem to not be helping things. He’s shaking so badly he can’t even grip his keys, and when he’s walking up the stairs to her door, he almost trips.

Calm down, Jim, he thinks to himself. You’re going on a date with Pam. The girl you’re in love with is finally giving you a chance. God, he can’t mess this up.

He softly knocks on her door, while taking a few deep breaths. She opens the door, and his breath stops. Pam always takes his breath away, but tonight, at the threshold of their first real date, it hits him.

“You look beautiful.” He manages to utter, never taking his eyes off of hers.

“Thank you.” She gives him a shy smile, and motions for him to come inside.

He obliges, and returns the smile.

As she shuts the door, eyes no longer locked, he finally gets the chance to look at her. She’s wearing a new blouse, one that he’d only, up until now, dreamed of seeing her wear, accompanied by a pair of pin striped grey slacks. She’s stunning, and he finally lets out the breath he’s been holding since he first saw her.

“Oh! These are for you. I hope you like dasies….I wasn’t sure which flowers to get you.”

“Jim! You didn’t have to get me anything, but I love them. Thank you!” She takes them from him, and puts them on the kitchen counter.

“I’ve still go to put some shoes on, so make yourself at home. Can I get you something to drink?” She asks.

“Nah, thanks though.” He responded.

Pam walked through the hall into her bedroom. She softly shut the door, and closed her eyes. “Jim is sitting in my apartment. JIM is sitting in MY apartment.” She thought to herself. “You’re changing Pam, and it’s time to go for what you want…who you want. He needs to know. No more uncertainty.”

She found her shoes, opened the door, and practically skipped into the living room. She saw Jim standing with his back to her, looking at the books on her bookshelf. She didn’t think he had heard her enter the room, so she walked over to him and threw her arms around him from behind, burying the side of her head into his back.

“Thank you for the flowers. You’re off to a good start…”

She kept her arms wrapped around him for a few more moments before realizing that he hadn’t spoken and was making no movements to hug her back. She slowly unwrapped her arms from him, before taking a few steps back, and breaking the silence.

“I’m sorry, I don’t know what got into me.” She muttered, looking at the floor.

Jim turned around to face her, eyes also to the floor. Pam looked up at him, and watched as he slowly lifted his head up, but kept his eyes to the floor.

Her heart sunk in her chest as she recognized the look on his face. It was the same look he gave her when she jokingly said “Jim, you can tell me anything” on the day when they played the harmless game of Jinx.

“Pam, I can’t do this.”

Chapter End Notes:
Want more? I'm not sure if I like this story, but if YOU do, review, and I'll post more. 10 reviews=A new chapter.

P.S. If you didn't know, the name of this story is from a song on "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers". :)


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans