- Text Size +
Story Notes:

I don't own it. WildBerryJam is a pretty awesome beta.

Obviously, this takes place season three time frame.

            “Oh, of course Ms. Howard, you and Ryan’s dad are totally invited to Ryan’s party. Just don’t tell him. I’ve already invited everyone for work, and all of his friends. It was so funny, Bill didn’t even know who I was. Do you know who Bill is? Bill’s in business school with Ryan. It was so funny, I called and was like ‘Hey Bill this is Kelly,’ and he was all ‘Kelly?’ Isn’t that silly? Hello? Hello?”

            Kelly hung up – must have been a bad connection. She needed a new phone, it seemed like it was always dropping calls.

            “Okay, Parents invited. That’s the last ones!” She said, checking off the list. She had called over 40 people, and most people said they were coming. There were a few, like Bill, who didn’t know who she was. “We’ve been dating over a year, I wonder why he hasn’t told Bill about me. I mean, I know I told everyone the first day…” Kelly talked to herself.

 

            The party was the next weekend. Kelly spent all week preparing – buying streamers and balloons, ordering the cake. It was going to be perfect. And of course, she was acting like she forgot about his birthday, so he was sure to be surprised. His friend Adam would take him out for some drinks, and then he would come back and it would be “Surprise!” Plus, Kelly thought, it would make him realize how perfect they were together, and it would be such a romantic wedding proposal – him surprising her with a proposal right after she surprised him with a party.

           

            The day had finally arrived. Adam had sent her a text right after he picked Ryan up. That was her signal – it was party time! She had just picked up the cake from the store, and was on her way over to Ryan’s. She figured she had about an hour before people started showing up, and then was just waiting for Ryan to return. She got to work putting up streamers and blowing up balloons. The final touch was the giant “HAPPY BIRTHDAY RYAN, LOVE KELLY!” banner, which she hung right across from the door. That way he would be sure to see it.

            Soon, everyone was there, even some people Kelly didn’t remember inviting. She had appetizers out, but they were almost gone and everyone was getting impatient. “Adam, hurry up and get Ryan back here,” she mumbled under her breath.

            As if answering her wish, she heard someone fumbling at the door. “Quiet everyone! He’s here!” Kelly quickly shut off the lights, and everyone hid.

            Ryan finally opened the door and stumbled through, hitting the light switch. “SURPRISE!”

            Ryan certainly was surprised… and drunk. He was leaning on Adam for support, mumbling something like “damn birthday.”

            Adam shrugged at Kelly. He’d tried to stop him, but Ryan kept drinking.

            “Hey Kelly,” he slurred when she tried to help him. “Did ya know it’s my birfday?”

            “Yeah, Ryan. Of course I knew. I planned this awesome party for you, and you are totally drunk. What’s that about Ryan? You aren’t even going to enjoy your party now are you? Are you even going to eat your cake?”

            “Cake?”

            “God Ryan, you don’t even care that I spent all this time planning it do you?”

            “Kelly…” with that, Ryan passed out, and fell to the floor.

            “Okay, there,” Adam said, stepping in before Kelly could complain more. “Let’s just get the birthday boy to bed, and everyone else… enjoy themselves.”

            Kelly stepped aside, letting Adam carry Ryan back to the bedroom. She was fuming; she’d planned this party for over a month, and he shows up drunk.

            She stormed out of the house, leaving others to clean up the mess.

Chapter End Notes:
First time I've ever really written Ryan or Kelly, so... feedback? Comments?


EmilyHalpert is the author of 44 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans