- Text Size +
*************

Jim glanced casually to his left then stopped dead on the sidewalk.

There it was.

He walked up to the window and gazed down at the ring. It was one among dozens on display in the jewelers, but it was it.

His hand was on the door before his mind caught up with the movement, but he didn’t hesitate. For years, he’d loved her, wanted her and what they knew they could bring each other, give each other.

The past week had been the best period of his life. Their friendship was better than it had ever been and overlaying it all, for him, was the awareness of just being allowed to love her.

The most painful part of the past years had been the effort to not shower her with all the affection, tenderness, and love that he’d had in him for her. That’s what being a couple was, he thought even as he talked to the jeweler. It was that very tangible, yet intangible difference between the love of friends…and the love of your life.

Jim stepped outside and stood for a moment with a hand over the pocket that held the ring. They’d only been dating a week, he thought as he stared walking again. But this felt absolutely right. A week, when he had a lifetime’s worth of himself to give to her.

Sometimes you didn’t need to look around or wait for what you needed. His hand moved once again of over his pocket. Other things, he thought, then fumbled for his suddenly blaring cell phone. He looked at the display and smiled. Other things, you had to wait a while for what you wanted...

“Hey, Pam.” He answered warmly.

...but they were worth it.

*********************
Chapter End Notes:
That's all for that. I just wanted to savor the ring moment by putting it down on 'paper'.
I love everyone's reviews. Please bring 'em on.


Lexiconiful is the author of 9 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked There it Was also liked 2137 other stories.
This story is part of the series, First Dates. The previous story in the series is Love Letters. The next story in the series is A Fun New Game.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans