- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks so much to Ella for all her time and help! Couldn't ask for a better beta!

She wished that she were numb. That she never had to feel again. She wanted the sharp ache in her hear to dull, so that she could breathe…if only for a moment. She wished that she couldn’t still see the hurt in his eyes as her shaking hands slowly slipped out of his and he walked away, leaving her frozen in place, gasping for air. It took a few minutes for the realization of everything that had just happened to hit her, and when it did it hit hard. She sunk onto the floor next to his desk, wrapping her arms around herself, her body wrenching with sobs.

When she was finally able to stand, she slowly made her way out of the office and down to the parking lot, praying that he would still be there. She had to fix this. Make it right. But he was not there and the dark, empty parking lot was a cruel mirror image of how she felt inside. She called a cab and sat stiffly, unable to stop the silent tears that rolled down her face. The driver looked at her sympathetically in the rearview mirror and she could tell that he was trying hard not to ask questions. She was sure the last thing he wanted was to be here in this cab with an emotionally unstable woman.

By the time the cab had pulled into the front of her house, the tears were gone and Pam sat stone-faced, staring out the window at the future she had chosen. Roy’s truck was in the driveway and she could see the light from the TV casting blue shadows on the wall. When Pam had envisioned her future, she had pictured a beautiful wedding, babies, a small white house with a big window that she could put an easel in front of. She pictured Sunday mornings with kids jumping on the bed to wake her, the smell of the chocolate chip pancakes and lots of laughter. For so many years the person who she had wanted to share those dreams with had been Roy. She had pictured building that life with him. But as time passed the image of Roy’s face began to fade away. Pam remembered becoming angry when she would start to Jim in that place. She would wait until Roy was dead asleep and she would cry tears of anger, confusion and even of loss, even though she didn’t understand how she could lose something she never had. Then she would see Jim’s face smiling at her and she knew that something was missing. She thought briefly about telling the driver to take her to Jim’s house.

She was staring up at the window when she saw Roy stand up and move in front of the window. After several minutes she climbed out of the cab and gently shut the door, so as not to catch Roy’s attention. Not that he would notice anyways. She walked slowly towards the house, but couldn’t bring herself to go inside. She sat down on the front step and cradled her head in her hands. She thought of what was waiting for her on the other side of the door she thought of the day he asked her out, the football captain leaning up against the locker of a shy, mousy girl in a turtleneck. She remembered the way his hands shook as he put on her corsage for their prom. She thought of the day he proposed on the shore of the lake after a day of wakeboarding. It wasn’t exactly the fairytale proposal she had envisioned, since Roy’s brother was passed out a few feet away and Roy was semi-drunk, but he had been sincere and sweet and she had been genuinely happy when she accepted.

It was after that things started changing. He began spending more time out with his brother and the guys from the warehouse. At first it bothered her and they would fight about it constantly, but soon she began to grow weary of the fighting and found that it was just easier to put on a smile and pretend that it was okay. She had gotten so used to pretending that it became hard for her to distinguish between the truth and what she portrayed to be reality to the world.

Then she had met Jim and it at first it was easy to pretend that her friendship with Jim had no effect on her relationship with Roy. But then she began to feel things when she looked at Jim. There were those moments when his hand would graze hers or he would look at her and her heart would soar. She tried to brush it away as nothing, but as time went by it was just become another lie she told to herself. She wasn’t sure the exact moment that she knew that she had fallen for him, but she did know that it scared the hell out of her. She remembered the Valentines Day, when she had watched bouquet after bouquet be delivered to others and she knew deep down that nothing was coming for her. She couldn’t help but wonder what her Valentines day would have been like if she was with Jim. What funny gift he would have given her, what it would be like to fall asleep in his arms. She went home that night, faked a headache which caused a huge fight with Roy and fell asleep on the couch, exhausted from crying.

Now it was over. She had made her choice. All she wanted to do was go to Jim, grab him, kiss him and say she was sorry. But who would forgive the person that had ripped out their heart and shredded it to pieces? She had never felt more lost in her life. She couldn’t move forward and she could go back to the lie she was living. She made a decision right then and there, hugging her knees to her chest against the chill of the night air. She had to make a change. She couldn’t keep living this way. She had to end it with Roy; she knew she couldn’t marry him. Despite the dull ache in her chest she felt a small glimmer of hope that maybe, she could recreate a life for herself and then maybe beg Jim for another chance, when a little time had passed. She wiped the last tears from her eyes, letting her fingers linger on her lips, still warm from Jim’s kiss. Then she stood up and walked inside the house. The next night Pam Beesly moved out of her house, away from the man of her past and towards a new and hopefully brighter future.

Chapter End Notes:
Please Review! I'd love to know what you think!! Reviews are like Jim in khaki pants....

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans