- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

About a month of two after they started dating, Pam mentioned how he had such a great porch but what'd make it even greater is if there were a swing there. A few days later, during their lunch break, he offered to cook dinner and when she showed up a couple hours after work, she knew the swing that was suddenly in the place of the lawn chairs and table that used to rest there wasn't exactly a coincidence.

He shrugged it off when she asked, just said that she raised a good point and he happened to to find one on sale at Lowes. She didn't really believe him but she had to admit that it was pretty cool to enjoy the warm Spring evenings with a couple of beers and just the two of them, and she thinks sometimes maybe it was something she had a dream about once.

So it wasn't abnormal for them to be outside one May evening, her head resting on his chest as she laid between his long legs that were hanging off the armrests, staring out to the night. There was a soft breeze, and the stars were out in full force, and it wasn't even 9:00 and she just wanted to spend a few hours outside enjoying this because it had been that kind of day. (Michael had forgotten to sign the forms for the annual personal reviews. And also to write them.)

"Are you still having dinner with your mom tomorrow?"

"I think so," Pam answers, glancing at him out of the corner of her eye. "Why?"

Jim shrugs, his hands playing with the drawstring on her pants. "No reason. Just thinking about what I wanted to do this weekend."

"Got a hot date?"

"Yeeeep. Think I might go to Chilli's."

"You know I can't go to Chilli's."

"Uh, so?"

She elbows him. "You're such an ass."

He laughs, groaning a little. He wraps his arms around her and squeezes her. "Fiiine, I'll take Kevin somewhere else."

"Dork." She mutters softly, still smiling.

There's this long, comfortable silence and she thinks how any other time, she'd feel the need to talk; about anything really, just something to fill the emptiness with words or sounds but she doesn't feel that need so much now. Instead, she moves a little so she can see him and just stares, noticing how the light from the porch seems to map out his face and she thinks how she can see it differently then when she's tracing the faint lines on his face as she lays next to him at night. It strikes her that he's just as beautiful now as he always is then.

"Take a picture, Pam, it'd last longer."

"Don't know how I did it." She says, suddenly overcome with this random bout of emotion that she can feel in the pit of her stomach. It feels a little like regret or wonder, maybe loss; but honestly all she can really feel, all she ever does when she looks at him, is this complete and utter joy she never knew one could have. Joy that she gets to look at him whenever she wants, joy for all he is, but mostly joy (and gratitude) that she's able to, that finally she can.

He watches as her eyes darken and tears form a little in the corners of her eyes and he reaches to wipe them away as his forehead creases in slight worry. "What's wrong?" he whispers.

She seems to snap out of it, shaking her head. "Nothing, nothing. Just.. just being a sap, I guess."

He smiles and kisses her nose. "And you call me the dork."

Pam finds his hand and links it with hers, always amazed that his huge hands seemed to fit so well with her tiny ones. "Want to go with me to Mom's?"

"And interrupt that awesome girl-time? Nah."

"She'd love to see you."

"Please, Pam. I'd like to space out the awesomeness that is me in small doses."

"You just don't want to stand Kevin up."

"It'd be really rude of me."

"Hey." She says, burying her face into his neck. "Love you," she says against his skin.

It's soft, he almost doesn't hear it but it's strange how his stomach still flutters every time she says those words.

He pulls her closer and kisses the top of her head. "Love you too, Beesly."

Chapter End Notes:

Why yes, I AM the world's biggest sap, thanks for asking. ;)

Also, chapter title is from Anyone Else But You by The Moldy Peaches because it's an awesome song and I am listening to it now.

As always, thank you dearly for reading. :)



oobadnama is the author of 21 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 5 members. Members who liked underneath these starry nights also liked 2430 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans