- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
"Don't Do That"
****************************************


They were eating at one of their favorite local diners one evening when Jim made a new discovery about Pam.

He’d been holding her hand, rubbing her palm absentmindedly with his thumb while they talked. He hadn’t done it consciously, but at one point his thumb left her palm and began to sweep softly across her upturned forearm, enjoying the softness of her skin.

He was startled when she suddenly grabbed his roving hand and pressed it hard against her arm to still his movements. He looked at her face to see that her eyes were shut tightly and she was breathing fast.

“Pam?” he asked questioningly. He patted the hand that was holding his down, but froze at her quick “Stop!”

He watched her, puzzled, as she untangled her hands from his and tucked them in her lap. She opened her eyes, avoiding his, and took a slow breath. He noticed her cheeks were red and her eyes were suddenly heavy. “Hoookay,” she said lightly, clearing her throat.

“What,” he paused for the fun of drama, raising his eyebrows, “was that?”

Pam looked at him and rubbed her arms to get rid of the goose bumps. “Sorry,” she began, embarrassed. “Sorry. Um, you can’t do that here,” she said simply.

He laughed incredulously. “Do what? Hold your hand!?”

“Nooo.” She shook her head and he noticed even she looked a little perplexed. “Just don’t touch my arms like that.”

He threw up his hands, confused. “Like what?”

“Like, at all.” She looked around the restaurant. She was still inwardly worried she’d moaned out loud. “At least in public.”

She realized her mistake as soon as she saw the look of comprehension on his face, because that look was immediately followed by one of pleasure and mischief.

“What are you doing?” She asked as Jim got up and moved to her side of the booth. “Oh, no you don’t, Jim! Get back over there.” She scooted over as far as she could in the booth and put her hands up to ward him off.

He just used them to pull her inexorably back beside him. He couldn’t keep the stupid, male-pride, smile off of his face. He couldn’t believe she’d handed this right to him! He took the hand nearest him and twined their fingers together, stretching their arms out on the table, in the simple hand-holding gesture known the world around.

He ignored her small tugs for freedom holding her hand more firmly as he ran a knuckle slowly, slowly up her arm. She’d stopped struggling by the time he made it past the soft inside of her elbow. Instead, she watched the progress of his hand, barely breathing as the feather-light sensations held her spell-bound. He bent his head down to hers.

“So your telling me,” he began in a whisper, “that your arms are very…,” he ran his nails lightly over the inside of her elbows and watched her eyes close before they could roll back in her head. Her head fell back as her neck went limp. “…very, sensitive?”

His grin nearly split his face as she made a breathy affirmative sound. “This,” he whispered, “is very handy information.” He pressed a lingering kiss to her cheek.

That seemed to snap her out of it. Her eyes flashed open and she slapped his hand away as he chuckled, delighted with her. “No it is not, Jim Halpert!” She started to push him out of her side of the booth, but was having trouble as she was laughing too hard. “You can not do this to me.”

He settled back into his side as she rubbed her arms once more. “Well now.” He took a slow sip of his drink as she grinned at him, continuing to shake her head. He lifted his glass to her, toast-like. “That sounds like a dare to me,” and ducked as she threw a roll at him.



******************
Chapter End Notes:
Next: Jim puts his new-found knowledge to use.
Please Review!!


Lexiconiful is the author of 9 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 7 members. Members who liked A Fun New Game also liked 1657 other stories.
This story is part of the series, First Dates. The previous story in the series is There it Was.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans