- Text Size +
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.




“Crazy day, huh?” Pam says, hanging her jacket on the hook by the door. It’s a lame thing to say, but she’s been at a loss for words since the disappointing lack of a proposal. Now, though, the quiet is beginning to get to her.

“Yeah,” he answers simply, not giving into her desire for superficial conversation. “Do you mind if I take a shower?”

“Of course not.” Jim heads for the bathroom, stripping his tie and jacket on the way and draping them over the back of the couch. Pam watches him go and can’t help but notice the slump of his shoulders. He looks as dejected as she feels.

After a moment, she hears the shower running and briefly considers joining him. There’s nothing better than soapy Jim but she’s not feeling sexy at the moment – just sad. In the bedroom, she sheds her own clothes, tossing them into the hamper, and pulls on pajamas. Then she putters around the kitchen, straightening up.

She can’t help wondering if Jim is actually ever going to propose. They’ve both always joked about it - she won’t really say no if he asks during one of Michael’s meetings. But what if he’s just kidding about the whole thing? They have only been dating a year – is it too soon? What if he’s having second thoughts now that she’s going to New York?

She switches the dishwasher on and turns to her small living room. Tidying and organizing gives her something to do to make her thoughts stop. In the year between Casino Night and Beach Day, she had reorganized the supply closet five times. She straightens a pile of magazines on the coffee table, fluffs the throw pillows and picks up Jim’s jacket and tie to put them away.

That’s when she finds it.

The black velvet box tumbles from his pocket and lands with a muffled thump on the beige carpet. But much louder is the thumping of her own heart. It echoes in her ears and suddenly everything makes sense. He WAS going to propose tonight!! She knew the fireworks were his doing – they definitely didn’t fit into the Party Planning Committee’s budget, even with Michael’s foot money.

She remembers when he turned to her moments before Andy’s interruption, his eyes liquid and his voice soft as he said “hey.” THAT was the moment! Stupid Andy!!!!

The excitement that overwhelmed her when she saw the ring suddenly fades into worry. She knows just how romantic Jim is, how perfect he wants everything to be for her. When will he find another perfect moment?

Pam is tired of waiting though. The fake-out proposals have been amusing, a way to get her used to the idea of being engaged again. But she’s ready now.

Her fingers tighten around the box. She has an idea.

Look out world, Fancy New Beesly is getting what she wants.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans