- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Inspired by several scenes of the show. I don't own The Office in any way.
Author's Chapter Notes:
The shortest one, to warm up.
As soon as they’ve both been approved at their new jobs, Roy insists Pam go with him to the Warehouse to meet his new co-workers. A brief thought occurs to her that of course Roy would never want to meet her co-workers first, but she banishes it. She’s having these sort of thoughts way more than she’d like lately, especially considering that they’d just got engaged. She figures it’s fatigue. They’d been together so long, and of course she was a little antsy. She would get over it. After all, she loved him, and the ring on her finger, which she’d just gotten a few weeks ago, was direct evidence of that. Money was never great between the two, so they’d split the cost, but Pam liked to think of that as a positive thing: they were really collaborating, so maybe she could count on his support in planning the wedding, whenever it would be.

The first man Roy introduces her to is the Warehouse supervisor, Darryl. He says something demeaning about “Mike,” which she knows means Michael Scott, her new boss, who seems bizarre indeed. As she laughs politely, she feels something deeper stir in her. She’s always liked guys that are either very bulky or very tall because they make her feel so petite; Darryl’s even bigger than Roy, and he’s got a better, deeper voice. Every time Darryl speaks, she – twitches, or something, and breathes a little heavier, and she feels terrible because her own fiancé never did that to her. Her laughs are still quiet, but turn throaty, when Darryl says something funny.

“Hey, babe, what was your deal with Darryl today?” Roy asks her that night as they watch TV. “You acted so weird around him.”

Pam thinks it must have been really obvious if even Roy noticed her behavior, then expels that thought from her head, because it's evil and engagement-undermining. “I was just trying to be friendly.” She’s answered too quickly, and he turns a skeptical eye toward her, sighs, and leaves the room. She feels terrible, because they have these passive-aggressive fights way too often; she feels even more terrible as she glances down at her new ring. They finally agreed to this ultimate commitment and here she was, laughing like Kathleen Turner in the 1980s around other men and sneaking glances at their faces across a room as if she was still in high school. When she mentioned she lived with her fiancé to her new co-workers, the tiny blonde accountant muttered something under her breath that sounded like “hussy.” Well, she felt like one now, alright.

So, Pam snuggles next to Roy that night, when she finally goes to bed. They have sex and she doesn’t come, but she doesn’t say anything about it. She stops thinking about Darryl. By mid-April, her attraction to him seems dumb. It’s easy to forget, because she almost never interacts with him; his name gets brought up in conversation a lot, about poker nights and the like, but a name alone doesn’t contain much power. She doesn’t see him much, because she doesn’t go to visit Roy in the warehouse very often, honestly. She always thinks she should pop in and say hi to him during the day, but she doesn’t, and she can never quite articulate the reasons why in her head.
Chapter End Notes:
More is coming...

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans