- Text Size +
Story Notes:

I guess I could say this idea came from EverybodyHurts when she posted a copy of a love letter from the Civil War on the MTT messageboard on Memorial day. I didn't realize that it had sparked a little fic idea in my head until today but apparently it did.

This will be letters between Jim and Pam set in the 1860's. The two are married and have 3 young boys so this fic is incredibly AU.

Author's Chapter Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

My dearest Pamela,

I write to you in hopes that you are well. I do not breathe a single breath without thinking of you first. Every morning, on the field, I shield my eyes from the sun, hoping it is your heart that brightens the sky above me. I would give anything in the world to see you and the children. The days are long and tiresome. The men are standing strong and we know we shall prevail. Our families and loved ones are what give us the strength to continue on. I hope to get your letters soon. We do not get mail where we are staying now. It has not been easy to send out word to our families.

Two weeks ago tomorrow we fought a long and hard battle. We only lost 2 men and none from my company. But it’s getting more and more difficult to fight a strong war. Major Howard has not lived up to the large tale we men had heard of him. He is cowardly and not a towering height. The sanctioned uniform nary set on his body correctly, the man does need a wife. He speaks of a woman he left at home but he does not speak fondly of her. And yet, he says she is his lover.

I am tired, my love. Our horses are worsened and we need more food and supplies. We only had a short while to stock up at our last resting spot. It has become demanding to find readily supporters to help in our time of need. We too need more men. We need strong fighting men to replenish the forces. We are all tired and in dire requirement of rest.

Oh dearest, I only wish to see your face again, that would fill me with all the strength I would need to continue the cause. I must close now to make sure my letter gets sent off. Give my love to all of our friends and to my mother. A thousand kisses to you my Pamela and our little boys. Goodbye my own sweet wife, I shall write again soon.

Your devoted husband J.R. Halpert.

***********************


My brave and loyal husband,

I write to you to inform you that I am well. The boys are growing ever so quickly and are proud of their father. I miss you every day my love. With each passing moment I crave the sight of you more. I hear from the other wives, horrors and tales of pain from the war and I fear for your safety. I pray for you and the men fighting for our country every night before I sleep. My parents have been so kind to us. My mother helps with the cooking and cleaning and my father has been tending the farm. He teaches the boys in the ways of farming and Joseph has learned so much. He looks just like you now. He even acquired your stubborn tendencies.

I did attend the funeral of Mr. Scott’s son last Sabbath. It was a sorry affair. Mr. Scott leapt up onto the coffin and howled ever so loudly. His son had been killed the preceding month and the first time the body was sent for, it could not be obtained. Mr. Scott had to petition higher up in the armies to try and try again. Finally the boy returned home to be buried in the family plot. The lady Scott has been covered up since word of her son’s death arrived. She is never seen without her large over-sized black hat. The gossip Vance woman says it is crude to wear such a large piece in a time of sorrow, it shows a sign of disrespect. I say the woman should wear what pleases her, but you shall never see me speak such a word.

The town has become so quiet, so empty since you men have been gone. The children are growing but there is neither laughter nor playful voices in the streets.

I hear that we are victorious but the war is yet not over. James, my dearest husband, please return home safe and soon. I can not bear this life without you.

I send you my undying love and pray for your safe keeping.

Your devoted wife, P.M. Halpert.
Chapter End Notes:

 

If anyone thinks they would be a good beta for this style of writing/story please feel free to contact me. I would really appreciate a second set of eyes on this. :)


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans