- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Jim goes late night shopping. Spoilers for The Client, The Injury, and the cheese content of their sanwiches...
Jim gingerly flipped his phone shut, tapping it slowly against his mouth as he tried to sort through the million thoughts that had suddenly rushed into his head.


Grilled cheese on the roof. OK, first things first, I need to get some Singles…


He opened the phone again and looked at the time. 10:14. Wal-Mart it is then. Pocketing the phone, he grabbed his keys, and sprang into action.


-----------------------------------------------------------



He pushed a cart around the local 24-hr Super Wal-Mart, with a lonely packet of Kraft American Singles (best grilled-cheese cheese in America!) and a new loaf of bread its only occupants. On a whim, he added a bottle of white merlot from a center display. Nothing goes better with grilled cheese, he thought, smiling to himself. No reason not to be romantic, now that it’s a real date…


As he wheeled his way towards the check-outs he passed an aisle he’d never given a second thought in the past. Tonight, however, it grabbed his attention, and made the gears in his head start clicking a little faster as his cart rolled to a halt.


-----------------------------------------------------------



$300 later some of the Wal-Mart shelves were empty, but his trunk was full and he couldn’t seem to wipe the smile off his face. He practically skipped into his apartment, stuffing the wine and cheese into the fridge, and writing himself a big note (“GET THE STUFF”, in black sharpie) so that he didn’t leave them there in the morning.


He hummed to himself as he dug his Foreman grill out of a cabinet, where he had hidden it after Michael’s “incident”. I DO NOT need the kitchen appliance that Michael ends up cooking his foot on, he remembered thinking, and giggled, actually giggled!, when he thought of how hard Pam would laugh as he told her about hiding the grill. He added it to the stash in his car for their date, and went back inside, still grinning like a maniac.


-----------------------------------------------------------



It was a little easier looking at himself in the mirror as he got undressed for bed. A few weeks ago the nagging voice in the back of his mind was quick to throw out labels for the face he saw in the glass: practically 30, still at the “temporary” job you say you hate, not following your dreams, not even sure what they are, too scared to propose to the girl you’ve loved for years…


Tonight, however, he could dismiss those thoughts and smile at himself. I’m proposing to Pam, finally. And I’ll post a resume tomorrow! So suck on that, reflection! But his reflection smiled back at him, rooting for him instead of getting offended, so he carefully slipped the ring box into the inside pocket of his messenger bag (after taking one last peek) and climbed into bed.
Chapter End Notes:
Next up: A Day at Work, Colon: What Did Jim Buy? A Jim Halpert story. By Untherapy. With Dwight Schrute.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans