- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
So... much... rain. I really cannot take the rain right now. It should not be raining this much in NEPA right now. Finally, I snapped and had two choices: write a fic about the rain, or kill someone.

Title is from "Summer Shudder" by AFI, but that song has absolutely nothing to do with this story.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.



1. Jim & Pam
She stands in the doorway and anxiously watches the rain pelt her car, unforgiving, like it's trying to punish her personally. She crosses her arms to fight the chill and smiles when she sees headlights in the street, then frowns when the car drives right past her. He had called, said he was close and asked her to keep the door open so that he could just run in from the rain. She knows he probably meant to just keep the door unlocked, but this is okay, too. She likes watching the rain (and she's had plenty of opportunities to do so these past few weeks).

Finally, his car pulls into the driveway and he sprints away from it, his limbs flailing like its acid instead of rain. She smiles and pushes the screen door open so he can dash in past her.

She shuts the door and locks it while he shrugs off his soaking wet coat.

"Just one day that doesn't end in rain," he says and hangs up the coat. "Is that too much to ask?"

"Apparently," she says. She puts a hand on his stomach and reaches up to give him a peck on the lips. "So, you ready to have your ass handed to you by a girl, Jim?"

"When I agreed to this rainy day board game day," he replies, smirking, "I was under the impression that it would be a friendly competition. I feel cheated."

"Ah, well," she says, smiles and shrugs.

She takes his hand and leads him into the living room. She has a few board game boxes stacked neatly on the coffee table.

"If you pick something out," she says, "I'll get you a towel. But, just so you know, whatever you pick... I'm probably gonna win. Don't beat yourself up about it, 'kay?"

He nods and she disappears down the hallway. He kneels next to the coffee table and runs his index finger over the titles on the boxes. Even after all this time, it all still feels a little surreal. He's over her house on a rainy day, they're going to play board games and make dinner together, probably watch a movie, and probably a little more. It's all he's wanted and it's finally his.

She comes back into the room and stands behind him. She puts the towel over his head and gently dries his hair for him. When she's finished, she folds the towel so that it's hanging around his shoulders then sits next to him on the floor.

"So, what's your poison?" she asks.

He nimbly pulls a box from the bottom and reveals his choice to her. "Battleship, naturally."

"Naturally," she agrees, nodding.

Natural, he thinks. That's what they are.

Maybe all this rain isn't so bad after all.



2. Dwight
He jams his arms into his rain slicker and steps into his galoshes and hopes the rain is going to stop so he can get some work in before he goes to the office, but as he steps onto the porch, he realizes it's probably a hopeless endeavor.

The sun is barely up, it's a torrential downpour, and she's still engaged.

He kicks at the floorboards before settling into his rocking chair. It's cold out and he should probably go inside to do some chores, but he's not in the mood. He watches the rain pour from the gutters and nourish the beet fields, wonders when things became FUBAR. It was his own fault, so he had some inkling that he wasn't really allowed to dwell on it like this, but... how could she still be marrying him?

Along with his pocketknife, he still carried hope in his pocket; hope that his Monkey would make the right decision. That's what he had always appreciated about her, her distinct knack for separating Wrong from Right, Right from Wrong even when he himself couldn't do it. And that was something, because his moral compass always pointed toward north. Or, at least, it used to. Lately it had been pointing a little west, like when he resold Andy's car. That had been much more satisfying than it probably should have been... but it was hard to care.

He likes to tell himself that he'll get over it and that that one last time will be enough to sustain him until forever or until something terrible happens to Andy (he's imagined all the ways Andy might meet with a bowstaff accident).

All he really knows for sure anymore is that he wants the rain to stop because the only time he ever manages to stop thinking about her is when he's working in the fields, ankle deep in manure.



3. Angela
Cat Boone scurries out the back door while she isn't paying attention.

She sighs and goes after him, her slippers making a perverse squishing noise as she walks in the grass. She wonders why he had to pick the rainiest morning of the week to play tiger in the backyard. He's the most independent cat she owns and he isn't about to be corralled into going back into the house before he's ready, even though she's certain he hates the rain as much as she does right now.

She's thankful her backyard is fenced in, because she can't imagine what the neighbors would think of her now, running around in the rain, wearing slippers and a light pink bathrobe. She hates the neighbors but still cares what they think about her, anyway. It's the sort of personality defect she picked up from her mother, which she knows but won't admit.

There's a flash of lightning in the sky and a flash of I miss him in her thoughts. This isn't the first time Cat Boone has taken it upon himself to explore outside (in fact, it seems to be the cat's favorite past time next to chasing after nothing down the hallway).

It had been raining the last time Cat Boone made a mad dash for the outdoors, too. She had reached for her coat, but he put a hand over hers and said he'd take care of it. He had slipped off his shoes and socks, rolled up his pant legs and stepped outside. She made coffee while he was outside, confident that he would bring her kitty back to her. And he had. He carried the cat gently back into the house, even though she knew that Cat Boone was his least favorite (which wasn't saying much, since his favorite cats list read more like "worse to worst").

But he wasn't here now and she was chasing her cat around her backyard like an insane person. She cornered him near some potted plants and reached down for him, but he darted between her legs and she fell forward to her knees.

She wanted to curse, but what would the baby Jesus think? She pulled herself to her feet and let the tears fall because the rain would wash them away from her face (but not from her heart).

She wouldn't give up.



4. Toby
His flight is delayed, which is just pretty typical. He sits in the airport lounge with a ticket to Costa Rica on his lap. He rubs his face and looks out the window, wonders when the damn rain is going to die down so he can start his new life.

He'll become a nature photographer, sit on sandy beaches on sunny days, and find a lady with a year-round tan to love.

It's a nice dream and he hopes it comes true, but all he's ever known is rain, so he's not really sure.



5. Kelly
It was always her rainy day tradition to go to the mall. Over these past few weeks she'd been going to the mall a lot. It was like a signal from mother nature that she needed to update her wardrobe and she wasn't going to turn an invitation like that one down.

She starts at the Steamtown Mall today and nearly maxes out her credit card at Steve & Barry's because Sarah Jessica Parker's clothing line is adorable and she needs to have it - all of it. She only stops when she can't physically carry any more clothes. After hitting up Victoria's Secret, she decides to go to the Viewmont Mall.

Going to the Viewmont Mall was a little bit like torture because she used to go here with Ryan all the time because he lived sort of nearby. She thinks about having lunch at the Applebees in the mall, but can't bring herself to do it because she remembers the time they both forgot their money in the car and could only afford to split an order of mozzarella sticks. She made fun of him for it, but always secretly thought it was cute and was probably the best date they ever had because it was fun. That whole day had been fun; it wasn't the sometimes-some-parts-are-fun-maybe sort of day they usually had.

She starts feeling bad about Ryan and all things related to him, but then she goes to Charlotte Russe and buys a totally awesome top and can't wait to hear Darryl say she looks cute in it. Ryan is like the totally overpriced heels in Macy's and Darryl is like the cute pink sneakers in her closet.

When she goes home, she'll put on the cutest outfit she buys today and she'll watch that YouTube of Ryan getting arrested for the hundredth time because she is an imperfect person (and because Ryan was a jerk and deserved it). After that, she'll call Darryl and say they need to go out tonight.

Ryan is the heels, Darryl is the sneakers, and she is the closet.

She has room for it all.



carbondalien is the author of 25 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Under the Summer Rain also liked 2456 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans