- Text Size +

What if Pam had a different response during the Merger to Jim's overture in the parking lot?

 

Jim: Oh, nothing. I just feel bad. I feel like things were a little weird today... or something.

 

* * * * * * * * *

Pam held back the words in her head. Yeah, things were weird today. You came back with someone else, someone who gives you gum in meetings and rubs your back like she's used to touching you all the time and you're probably sleeping with her and I'm an idiot for thinking I still had a chance.

 

That wouldn't help. Saying that wouldn't help and really, Karen wasn't the problem. Well, maybe Karen wasn't the problem. Go for it, Pam. For once in your life, speak up for what you want. So Pam spoke. She spoke fast before she could lose what little nerve she had.

 

"Before, when I said coffee, I meant a date." The words all rushed together without pauses -- "beforewhenIsaidcoffeeImeantadate" -- but she could tell he had understood, because his face looked blank, like a slab of granite, unmoving and expressionless.

 

He didn't feel the same way. Of course he didn't. She'd made a fool of herself. She could feel her face turning red, and she closed her eyes because she thought she'd start crying at any moment. So get out of here, Pam. Turn around and walk to your car, go home, turn your oven on, and stick your head in it. Otherwise, she'd have to face him tomorrow.

 

"Yes," she heard Jim say quietly.

 

She opened her eyes. "What?"

 

She saw that Jim's blank look was gone, replaced by hope warring with fear, trust warring with mistrust. But he said again, "Yes. To the date. Coffee or whatever."

 

"T-tonight?" Pam stuttered. "I mean, is tonight good?"

 

"Yeah, it's good," said Jim, with a small smile. "It's great actually...um, I can drive, if you want."

 

He waved his arm toward his car and she headed that way, with him falling in step beside her. Pam felt like her smile was so wide that her face couldn't fit it. She stole a glance at Jim to see that he was watching her. His smile was small, crooked as if with surprise or wonder, and he looked happier than he had all day.

 

Pam could hardly believe how the day had turned around. She was going on a date with Jim. She was walking toward his car to go on a date, when only a minute ago she thought she was destined to spend forty hours a week watching Jim cozy up to his new girlfriend...

 

"Karen!" She stopped short, just steps from his car.

 

"What?"

 

"I just...I thought...I thought maybe you were dating Karen."

 

"No. I mean, maybe we might have if ...um, no. No, we haven't really been dating."

 

"Good. I was just...that's a relief, you know?"

 

"Yeah." They reached the car and Jim opened the door for Pam. As she sat in the passenger seat, he pulled out his cell phone. "That reminds me, though, I have to call her. I'll be, like, two seconds."

 

"Yeah, no, that's fine. Go ahead."

 

He hit a few buttons on the phone as he closed the car door. They're close enough that she's programmed into his phone. If I hadn't said something tonight... Pam suddenly realized Jim was talking; she strained to hear him as he walked around the car to his side. She made out "I just think I should tell you that... I've sort of started seeing someone."

 

Pam smiled.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks to Azlin for the beta.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Beyond the usual disclaimer, the 2nd to last line (in quotes) is of course a line directly from The Merger, the stated writer for which is Brent Forrester. The rights to that line are not mine, but no copyright infringement is intended.



Too Late Kev is the author of 22 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 11 members. Members who liked The Parking Lot of Redemption also liked 2787 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans