- Text Size +
Story Notes:
I own nothing! Except for the advantage of having my brain. Which I use...when advantageous. So, there's that.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay, so, here goes. I hope you enjoy!


If someone had asked her what day today was, she would have simply answered “Tuesday.” A bland, bleak, Tuesday of no significance, of no importance to her or anyone she knew. Another day at the office, followed by another night on the couch watching Law & Order and eating double the serving suggestion of macaroni and cheese from the box. She didn’t think anything of it. Except she’s was a little excited for tonight because there was also a new episode of CSI: Miami and she bought like six of those Betty Crocker instant-dessert things because Kelly told her they were really good and just enough to satisfy your chocolate craving but not too much to make you feel like you broke your diet. Pam didn’t tell her about the macaroni.

Nor did she think anything of it when Jim and Karen came in late, not looking the least bit remorseful. No, both of them seemed the happiest she had seen either of them in a long time, if ever. Her heart shattered a little but she just ignored it and greeted them with a monotone “Hey”. They greeted her shortly and Jim took Karen’s coat, whispering something in her ear and she giggled. Pam kind of gagged but pretended to cough. They didn’t pay her any attention.

“Michael wanted to see you two? In his office?” They were not meant to be questions, but the way Jim’s fingers were splayed over Karen’s shoulder made her throat catch and they just came out that way or something. Karen nodded at her, her teeth sparkling and her grin never faltering.

“Yeah, I guess we’re a little late, huh?” she giggled (Since when did Karen giggle?) and her smile grew wider as she looked up at Jim, who just nodded and stared at his girlfriend. Pam cleared her throat and fought down the urge to leap over her desk and strangle Karen. ’Probably shouldn’t have watched Mean Girls again last night.’

“Y-you should probably g-go see him. He had three cups of coffee this morning and he’s getting pretty antsy.” Jim tore his eyes away from Karen (finally) and looked up at Pam, his eyes dark and sparkling, and for a minute, Pam pretended he was thinking about her. The couple nodded and sauntered into Michael’s office, Jim’s hand on the small of Karen’s back and her gripping his bicep. What the hell was up with them being so lovey-dovey-touchy-feely today? She silently thanked the Lord that they hadn’t started cuddling or Eskimo-kissing on Jim’s desk. Ugh.

About three minutes after Jim and Karen had gone in to see Michael, some cheers and whoops started coming from his office, and a loud “I bet you guys did it like twenty times!” was enough to drive Pam to grab her coat and silently slink out of the office to take her lunch break (even though it was only eleven-thirty). She silently hoped with all of her being that maybe they would fight or get sick of each other or something while she was gone, and then immediately chastised herself for being so horribly mean. A thousand tiny toothpicks pricked her skin as she drove past Karen’s car, noticing that Jim’s was nowhere in sight. Obviously they had come together, they had arrived at the same time, had they not? Pam jerked her tiny blue car into a parking space and slammed the car door shut. Almost violently she stomped into the Dunkin Donuts and hissed her order to the young girl behind the counter, who merely rolled her eyes and handed Pam her the scalding styrofoam cup. As kind-hearted as she was today , Pam didn’t bother to tip.

Truth be told, she really wasn’t hungry, on the contrary, she felt the familiar sticky, harsh taste in her mouth, like the taste of blood or pennies, whenever she thought of Jim and Karen together, doing things she had only dreamed of doing with him, of experiencing with the only man that seemed to understand her completely. ‘Until now.’ She thought bitterly.

Pam shivered, grabbed a few napkins from the dispenser and left, pushing the door with so much force that the bell the signaled someone entering didn’t even jingle, it just hit the side of the door with a loud smack. She nearly injured an incoming customer, but because she was so caught up in her little hissy fit she just mumbled an apology. There were just almost impaled with a glass door. They’d get over it.

In the car, Pam mentally prepared herself for more awkward encounters and half-hearted conversations. When she got of the car back at the office, she looked straight ahead and didn’t think about cars or they’re owners, nor did she think about the parking lot itself, because that was likely to maybe cause a little breakdown. She did not mentally prepare herself, however for the sight she was greeted with.

Phyllis, Meredith, Michael, and Oscar were gathered around a blushing, giggling Karen who was staring at Jim, who was staring at Karen. Pam furrowed her brows in confusion, a wave of panic washing over her like the kind you get in grade school when you realize that you forgot to do your homework or study for a test. No one noticed Pam’s entrance except Michael, who excitedly beckoned her over with his hand.

“Did you hear, Pam-o-ramma?” He was hopping excitedly, and used his other arm to move Oscar and Meredith out of the way. Like a six-year-old proudly showing off his new toy, Michael yanked Karen’s left hand forward, revealing a glittering, white-gold ring.

“Jimbo and Karen got engaged!”

Chapter End Notes:
Please review! I'll even do your laundry. :)

Next up: Pam vents and some confrontation sparks. Oooh!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans