- Text Size +
Story Notes:
I originally wrote this as a response to MTTs word fanfic challenge. I was going to have a different chapter for each word, but this is really the only chapter that made it to a finished state. The word for this day was table. And as I've now given up hope that I'll ever finish the other chapters I decided to tweak this one into a stand-alone so that I could post it. Enjoy!
Author's Chapter Notes:

I still don't own these characters or anything associated with them.

Hope you enjoy the banter. I had fun with this one!

"What do you think of these ones?"

"What do I think of the ones with the purple sparkles and big stars in the middle?"

"Yeah?" Pam asked, trying to keep a straight face.

"Well, since I'm not actually a male, but in reality an eight-year-old girl, I think they're so cute!" Jim said, mimicking a girlish giggle.

Pam just laughed. She'd been kidding, of course. They were sitting in Target, and had been staring for a good twenty minutes at the options on the screen from which they were supposed to be picking out china patterns, when they'd come across the kid's section. Which really didn't make sense to Pam. Like kids ever picked out dishes. And even if you were going to get special dishes for your kid why on earth would you get them in china?

Anyway, they'd been looking through the various patterns of dishes, bed sheets, and kitchen towels for almost two hours now, and she was starting to lose interest. She had known that registering for wedding presents would be a pain, but no one had told her it would be this bad. Jim was no help, of course. He kept suggesting that they register for things like legos, five thousand pillows (because, as he'd explained, in a fight you need all the ammo you can get), and Battlestar Galactica figurines, which she could only assume would be used for a prank on Dwight.

"Can we be done now?" she whined pathetically after a few more minutes of staring at the screen.

"But if we don't get this done now, we'll just have to come back some other day."

Pam pouted for a minute but finally had to admit that Jim had a good point. "Can't we at least take a break?"

"Fine. Come here." And suddenly Jim grabbed her and began enthusiastically kissing her in the middle of the customer service area of Target.

Pam's first instinct was to kiss back, but a few seconds later she remembered where they were. She tried to act surprised and annoyed as she pulled away, but instead all she could do was giggle and shake her head at him. "That's not what I meant," she said quietly, glancing around to make sure no one had noticed them kissing.

"Well, you weren't all that specific," Jim replied with a smile before turning back to the screen. A few seconds later Pam was still recovering from the incident, and Jim was looking at dining room tables.

"Do we even need another table? We'll probably just be eating in the kitchen anyway."

"Pam. We need a dining room table."

"But we don't even have a dining room."

"Well, we will in the new place."

"Yeah. I guess."

"They don't have anything anyway. We'll probably have to go to a furniture store."

Pam sighed, noisily and tried pouting again. Sadly, Jim was still acting oblivious. It was funny to her how he could get so wrapped up in something every once in awhile, especially when most of the time he was perfectly content to just sit back and slack off. But here he was all wrapped up in registering. Not that she minded. This was a million times better than the time she'd tried to get Roy to do the same thing with her. She paused for a second to consider for what seemed like the millionth time just how differently her life could've ended up.

"So?" Jim asked a few seconds later.

"What?" Pam asked, coming out of her momentary daze of boredom.

"Whatcha thinkin' about?"

"Nothing."

"Yeah right. I saw that look. You were plotting to kill me again, weren't you?"

"No!"

"Come on, Pam. I know what you were really thinking."

"I was not!"

"Liar."

"You are such a dork."

"See? You do want to get rid of me!"

Pam threw her head back in mock frustration. "You're impossible, you know that?"

"Yep." Jim said with a grin.

"I hate you."

"I knew it! You do want to kill me!"

"Okay, that's it, this is officially going on the list now."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yes. I am writing it down now so I don't forget." Pam took out the small notebook she always kept in her purse, flipped to a certain page and wrote, 'he always puts words in my mouth.' At the top of the page Pam had labeled the list, 'Reasons I Don't like Jim.'

"Aw, come on, Pam. I think we both know that you enjoy it when I do that."

"Oh, really?"

"Uh-huh."

"Well, that's not even the point."

Jim just laughed. "Are you sure? Because I think that's exactly the point."

"Well, I guess that just proves that you don't know me at all."

"I guess so." Jim shrugged. "Anyway, my point is, I don't think you should put it on that list."

"Well, I know you don't but it's my list, so there!"

"No, I meant, I think it should go on the other list."

"Yeah, I'll bet you do."

"Don't you? I mean you've gotta admit, it's pretty cute when I do that."

"I told you, the other list doesn't exist anymore, except in your twisted imagination."

"Twisted, huh? I think maybe you're thinking of another list altogether."

Pam rolled her eyes. "Even if the other list did exist, which it doesn't anymore. I would never, ever let you see it."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. Trust me, your ego will be just fine without ever seeing a list titled 'Reasons I like Jim' again."

Jim snorted, and gave her that smile that she knew she'd never get tired of.

"Okay, well. If you ever change your mind, you should just know that I've been thinking of starting my own list."

"Really?"

"Yep. But you'll never get to see it, now will you?"

"Please. Like you could ever hide something like that."

"Nice try, Beesly, but we both know I'm the better sneak."

"Yeah, but I know how to get you to tell me anything I want." Pam leaned over to give him a deep kiss.

"Okay, well, I think we're about done with tables for one day, don't you?"

Pam just laughed and grabbed his hand. She was still holding it as they left the store a few minutes later. Registering could wait.

Chapter End Notes:
Reviews are always nice! ;)


Azlin is the author of 27 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 5 members. Members who liked Reasons I Don't Like Jim also liked 2266 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans