- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Chapter info: The Dundies, AU style.

 

A few months into the school year, Mr. Scott held a special event called the Schoolies. The "ceremony" was held after lunch on a Wednesday, where he passed out specially made, personalized awards. It was an enjoyable time. It was apparent he put the time and effort into the entire event. He had special music and skits that he performed for all of us. He even had a little assistant from another class help him out. When this boy walked into the classroom the first time, I wanted to laugh hard. He was a stern-looking young man with dark brown hair and horn-rimmed glasses firmly planted on his nose. Dwight K. Schrute was his name.


He was an odd child, acted old for his young age, and tried to intimidate the rest of us. Jimmy enjoyed teasing him and picking on him when Dwight visited. One day Dwight told all of us he was the hall monitor and we needed to respect his authority. Jimmy cracked up at that and got an eyeful of Dwight's tongue.


On the Schoolies' afternoon, Mr. Scott returned to the classroom wearing a fancy tuxedo after lunch. Dwight wore a little suit and tie and faithfully followed Mr. Scott around the room, preparing for the events. The rest of us sat with our juice boxes in awe. 


"Are you all ready for a fun time?" Mr. Scott clapped his hands fervently.


The classroom erupted in cheers.


"Hit it, Dwight!" Mr. Scott flamboyantly pointed at Dwight, standing in the corner, hovering over a tape player.


Dwight poignantly depressed his tiny finger down on the tape player's button, and the room filled with music. Then he quickly reached down and grabbed a pile of cards, holding them up so Mr. Scott could read them. Mr. Scott jumped forward with a hairbrush in his right hand and began singing passionately into the bristles.


"The Schoolies, how can I explain it? Awards you like to hate it. I'm psyched you all made it. You never had to work so hard and feel that no one noticed you. You're just a name and number, and no one says hello..." Dwight fumbled with the cards, and Mr. Scott lost his place. "Guh, forget it. Stop the music. Let's just get to it already. Who wants the first award?"


Kelly's hand shot up quickly, and she began jumping impatiently in her seat. "Me! Me!!"


"Whoa, Nelly Kelly, calm down. Don't worry. You'll get one. Alright, alright, let me see," Mr. Scott began searching through the small awards trying to locate Kelly's. "Here it is. The 'Most Likely To Talk People’s Ears Off'...KELLY!"


Kelly squealed and jumped up from her seat, running to the front of the class. She grasped the award from his hands and almost knocked him into the whiteboard. She didn't understand but was incredibly pleased to win anything. She took the small statue in her hands and smiled brightly at him. "Thank you!"


"Your vewy welcome." Mr. Scott responded in the worst baby voice of all time.


Kelly looked up at him questioningly and then slowly turned and walked back to her desk.


A clang rang over the room, and everyone turned to see Dwight holding up a triangle.


"Alright, our next award goes out to the child who lightens up the room, someone I would be proud to have as my own...Ryyaan Hoowaaard!"


Kelly squealed again and pushed Ryan out of his chair. Ryan slowly strolled to the front of the room, and Mr. Scott teased him with the tiny award, not allowing him to grab it. Ryan stopped trying and stood there for a moment while the class clapped. Finally, Mr. Scott let him take it, and when Ryan turned around to walk back to his desk, Mr. Scott ran his fingers through Ryan's hair, tousling it terribly. The poor look on Ryan's face would make anyone feel sorry for him.


Next came my award. I had feared what terrible honor would fall upon me, how embarrassed I would end up being. I turned to look out the window and saw Jimmy looking over at me and smiling. He bashfully looked away when my eye caught his.


"Hey, Pammy." Roy's whisper came across the table. I turned to see him leaning in on his hands, attempting to get my attention.


"What?"


"You're ugly." An evil grin oozed across his face as I snarled at him. I turned away quickly, whipping my curly ponytail across my shoulder.


Jimmy saw the hurt in my face and shrugged, asking what had happened. I shook my head and decided it wasn't worth it.


"Pammy!" Mr. Scott waved a shiny award upfront to get my attention. "Come on! Didn't you hear me? Come on then."


I didn't hear what he had said, and I couldn't read the label. I shyly took the award from his clutches and hurried back to my seat, trying not to blush. I'd have to ask Kelly later what it was for.


Mr. Scott passed out the rest of the awards, a couple with some typos on them, and Dwight destroyed the tape in the player, but overall we had a fun time. Mr. Scott gave us the rest of the afternoon to enjoy ourselves and have playtime until it was time to go home.


"Hi." I walked up to Jimmy and smiled.


"Hey." He responded.


“Um, I’m going to the library. Do you wanna go with me?”

 “'Kay, do you think we can?” He motioned to Mr. Scott.

 “Uh-huh.” I walked to the front of the classroom, and Jimmy followed.

“Mr. Scott, can we go to the library?”

“Sure! If that's what you want, you two bookworms. Take the pass.” We grabbed the hall pass and left the room, walking silently down the hall toward the library.

When we walked in, the librarian, Ms. Lapin, looked up from her computer screen and greeted us.

“Hi, Pammy, ooh, who’s this?” She looked adoringly at Jimmy and winked at me. I saw his adorable round cheeks turn pale pink.

“This is Jimmy Halpert. He’s my friend. I’m going to help him pick out a new book.” I grabbed his hand and pulled him towards the children’s section.

"You two have fun then!" She smiled brightly and gave me another wink. I kept holding his hand without thinking while we searched the books. Our palms began to sweat against each other as we perused the children's titles. I suddenly, in recognition, pulled my hand away and wiped it carefully on my cardigan.

“Sorry”

“'S okay” He took his hand back and shoved them both in his little pockets. He rocked back and forth on his heels while we looked for something good. A few minutes later, we settled upon a story of a man who lived in a big city with a monkey.

We went over to one of the low round tables and scooted in close to each other.

“Do you want to read it? I can help you sound out words if you get stuck.” I was trying to reassure him. I didn’t want him to think I was better than him or that I was acting that way just because I could read better. I remember sitting so close to him that day that I forgot all about the story. I sat there, letting my thoughts slip away.

The thoughts of a six-year-old are a little softer than someone older, but the consensus is the same. I remembered my lunch bag, the swings, that smile, Christmas, that smile. Okay, so I was obsessed with his smile, but you have no idea what that smile can do to a girl. Her knees go weak, her head feels light, and she forgets what she is saying. He had a way about him, even at that age.

“Are you okay?” I snapped back to reality, feeling a slight smidge of embarrassment.

“Uh, are you stuck?” I stammered on the words.

“No, I just didn’t think you were listening.”

"Oh, no... I was."

 

He had no idea, and I liked it that way.

Chapter End Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans