- Text Size +

One morning we were all sitting at our desks reading our assigned books while Mrs. Gould was at her desk grading papers, and the classroom door slowly opened. I heard someone clear their throat, and I looked up to see Mr. Scott’s head peering through the crack of the doorway.

“Um, Jan…hey.” He whispered it, but we all heard him and looked up to see what was happening.

“Michael, what are you doing? Why aren’t you in class?” She stood up and walked towards the door. “Children, keep reading your books. I’ll be right back.”

 The door shut, and we all looked at each other questioningly. I caught Jimmy’s eye, and he raised the right corner of his mouth and shrugged at me. I shook my head, lifting my shoulders in response. 

A few minutes later, Mrs. Gould reappeared through the door. I looked over my book as she shut the door a little too hard behind her. She walked briskly to her desk and deeply sighed while sliding back down to her seat. Her head shook as if saying ‘no’ over and over again. She then put her head down in her hands and stayed that way for at least a minute before lifting it and shaking it off. She picked up her red pen again and continued grading.

I looked over to the door when I saw movement. I could see Mr. Scott’s face in the small glass window. He was looking around the room at all of us. He saw me looking at him, and he lit up. The smile was so large it looked like his face was nothing but teeth. He waved violently through the glass. I lifted my hand and shyly smiled, giving him a little wave. I turned to my book, hoping he’d stop looking at me.

Jimmy’s eyes had been watching me during my encounter with Mr. Scott, and he was now trying to get my attention. I saw him waving at me behind Dwight’s back through the corner of my eye. I looked over to see him mouth the words “Watch.” I slid into my seat, facing him, waiting to see what he would do. He pulled this tiny cup of yellow stuff from his backpack and quietly placed it in Dwight’s lunch bag. I couldn’t tell what it was, though. Jimmy sat back in his chair and looked at me “lunchtime.” I silently mouthed the word ‘Ok’ back at him and felt my stomach twirl. This prank wasn’t a big deal, but I bet it was.

****

Lunchtime came around at 12, and we all filed into the cafeteria. The room was filled with long tables that had attached blue seats. I sat with Kelly and Karen but ensured I got a good view of Jimmy to see where the little cup fell into place. I saw him at the other end of the table, and Dwight was a few seats down from there.

Jimmy looked for me, and I gave him a little nod when he saw me. He wanted to make sure I was watching.

I hardly touched my food while waiting for Dwight to reach into his lunch bag. I gasped as he pulled out the little dish filled with the yellow stuff, now I could tell it was Jell-O, but something was floating in it. Dwight slammed it down on the table and looked to his right and left.

 “Jimmy!”

 I started giggling while I watched the drama unfold.

 “Yea Dwight,” Jim pulled out his cup of Jell-O and peeled off the top. I had to cover my mouth so I wouldn’t laugh out loud.

 Dwight got up from his seat, gripping the cup in his hand.

“Did you do this?”

“Do what, Dwight? Make your lunch?”

“No, you know what! My pencil sharpener is in this cup of Jell-O.”

“Oh wow, how did you do that?” He covered his mouth with his right hand as he leaned on the table, holding his smile back. He looked over at me and lifted his eyebrows.

 “I am going to tell on you right now! Mr. Scott! Mr. Scott! Jimmy Halpert put my pencil sharpener in this cup of Jell-O” He ran from behind Jimmy and ran to Mr. Scott, who had been eyeing the chocolate milk. He turned around when he heard the commotion but didn’t know what was happening.

“What are you yelling about, young man?”

“My name is Dwight K. Schrute, not young man, and I am telling on James Halpert.”

 “I know that, Dwight. Jimmy? What did he do?” He looked up from Dwight and over at Jimmy, wondering what in the world that perfect little boy could have done.

 “He put my pencil sharpener in Jell-O” Holding up the little cup to Mr. Scott’s face, he grabbed it from Dwight’s hand and eyed it carefully.

“Hey, look at that. It’s floating mid-air. How cool.”

“False! It is not cool. It is rather irritating. Put him in detention right now!”

At that word, I looked at Jimmy. My mouth dropped. I hoped he wasn’t going to get in trouble. However, it appeared Jimmy wasn’t worried about that at all. He was giggling and could barely control it.

 Mr. Scott walked Dwight back over to Jimmy and stood there for a second. Jimmy put his hand over his mouth, controlling the laughter and trying to appear very calm.

 “Well, arrest him or something, won’t you?”

 “What!? Arrest him? Sit down, Dwight. It’s just Jell-O. Here,” he handed him a plastic spoon, “just eat it out.”

During this scene, Ryan sat next to Jimmy and piped in, “Oh, you know what? You could put him in custardy!”

 “Ohhhh, that’s good!” Mr. Scott started laughing, then stopped when he saw Dwight wasn’t amused. “Oh, stop being so serious.” He slapped Dwight on the back and went back over to the Milk.

“I know it was you, Jimmy, and I’m watching you.”

 The table filled with ‘Ohhhh’s and Ooooh’s.’ Jimmy looked down at me and gave a little bow. I gave him a silent clap of congratulations and turned back down to my lunch. I loved how he could always make me smile, even when it was about Dwight. That was a great prank. The boy was a genius.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans