- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This was going to be a one-shot but I think I'll post it as two chapters.  The idea came to me last night and I wanted to write while it was fresh in my mind.

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

“Package for you, Jim.” announced his secretary, Debbie, has she hefted a box into his office.  “Not heavy, but it sure is bulky.”

Jim absentmindedly looked out the window at the bustling Manhattan street 30 floors below.  “Oh yeah?  I don’t remember ordering anything recently.  Where’s it from?”

Debbie read the label as she set the large box on her boss’ desk, “EVEARTS GALLERY in Haddonfield, New Jersey.”

“Never heard of it.  Thanks, Debbie.”

Jim looked in puzzlement at the label on the box before him:

Mr. James Halpert
Vice President, Sales and Marketing
Dunder-Mifflin, Inc.
152 W. 56th Street
30th Floor
New York, NY  10019

Interesting.  His new title.  He’d only been promoted two weeks earlier and this was the first thing he could remember that had been addressed to him with the title Vice President.  Everything else had been addressed to Director of Sales, Northeast.

He lifted the box and jostled it lightly.  Debbie was right; it was surprisingly light for such a voluminous package.  Jim was feeling very curious as he pulled a pair of scissors from his drawer and began to cut the tape on the box.  When he peeled away the four flaps, he was met with an unbroken layer of multicolored styrofoam peanuts that totally engulfed whatever was at the center.

Must be pretty fragile, he thought as he plunged his hand into the peanuts, swirling about to find the secret hidden beneath.  His hand hit upon stiff, thick paper.  He brushed his fingers along its surface until he found the edge and wrapped his fingers tightly around it.  He lifted the package gently as colored peanuts cascaded out of the box and onto his desk and floor.  He could feel a picture frame and glass has he pressed to keep a firm grip on the package.

The parcel that emerged from the peanuts was about fifteen by twenty inches, wrapped tightly with brown craft paper and had an envelope taped to the front that simply said Jim … in Pam Beesly’s writing.

Unbelievable.  He hadn’t spoken to Pam in nearly two years and now, out of the blue, she was sending him a picture?  He sank into his chair and stared, paralyzed, at the package on his desk.  For a long while he was unable to will himself to tear the envelope away and open it.  Finally the command reached his fingers and he found an ivory embossed card in his hands.

He opened the card, only to have his breath hitch as he met the expanse of Pam’s fluid, neat writing.  He closed the card as he shook his head in frustration.  Ridiculous, why was he so affected by this?  He hadn’t even read anything yet.  Get a grip, Jim.  Get a grip.  He opened the card again, determined to actually read it before responding this time.


Dear Jim,

Wow.  I know it must seem really weird that I’m sending you something when we’ve been totally out of touch for almost two years now.  Since I left Dunder-Mifflin, Kelly’s been keeping me updated on what everyone’s up to.  She told me that you were just promoted to VP – congratulations!  She also told me that you and Karen broke up a few months ago.  I hope you’re ok.

You’ll be so proud of me, Jim!  (At least I hope you will.)  I just had my first one-woman show.  No kidding!  The gallery where I work had a week between artists’ availability last month and the owner decided to showcase my work.  I actually sold a few pieces!  I guess in my mind that means I’m finally the artist you always told me I was.  Anyway, this is one of the pieces that was in the show.  I call it Gifts:  Treasured Memories and Wistful Dreams.  I’d like you to have it.  (If you want it after you see it.)

There is a quote I love by Edward Hopper:  “If you could say it in words, there would be no need to paint.”  There have been so many things I wanted to tell you and I just couldn’t get the words out.  This pastel says pretty much everything I’ve wanted to say to you for years.  I just needed you to know.  Once.

Love,
Pam

P.S.  It occurs to me that you may think this gesture is too little and way too late.  If you don’t want this piece, please don’t throw it away!  This picture means a lot to me and, if you don’t want it, I’d like to have it back.  I’ve included a return shipping label, just in case.

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading!  I hope you enjoyed.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans