- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I've decided to bring this story to this website, as I've just found it. :) This is angst-y and a little far fetched. This was inspired when I first heard the song by Reba McEntire and Kenny Chesney "Every Other Weekend." If you get a chance, listen to it. I tear up every time.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Pam hummed to herself as she tediously prepared the bagged lunches she was going to take with them to eat at a nearby park for a picnic before she dropped them off for the weekend. She could hear them, packing, in their respective rooms, and she couldn’t stop the tears that started to build up in her eyes. Six months had passed since they’d separated and the every other weekend routine had started, and it wasn’t easier now than it had been that first weekend. Pam sighed, she wasn’t sure how they had let their relationship grow this distant. It felt wrong to be separated from him, to be living in separate cities, living different lives. The only thing now keeping them connected was the two children at the end of the hall.

“Momma,” a small voice called from the doorway, “I can’t find Mr. Beets. I can’t leave without him.”

Pam smiled at her small daughter, “he’s in my room Lizzie, on my bed, near the lamp.”

“Thanks Momma,” Lizzie answered and her six-year-old skipped down the hall to retrieve the red plush bear she’d been given at birth by a affectionate Dwight. The bear had been known as Mr. Beets ever since.

Elizabeth Marie was her youngest, a spunky six-year-old with eyes that reminded Pam of her father everyday. That part was hard, but then again, seeing Carter Mitchell, their oldest at eight, was a spitting image of his father and as rambunctious as he had been.

Pam’s heart ached when she saw her children and remembered the love that had created them. A love that had fallen apart when they hit the rough patch that no parent or couple ever wanted to have to live with. Pam ran her fingers through her auburn hair and sighed again. It wasn’t the love the shared that had fallen apart, she still loved him with everything inside her, but their life had been so shaken that everything they knew crumbled around them until he had moved out.

The official separation was filed only a week later and then he was gone. Neither had filed for divorce and she wasn’t sure that they would. She knew she didn’t want to, but then again, she didn’t want to hold him back either. It was a shaky situation.

You need to let him go, her mind told her again and she shook it off. She knew that would never actually happen, she could never forget the life they had together or the happiness she had felt in their nearly ten years of marriage. Ten years of marriage filled with laughs and smiles and all things great.

Pam snapped herself out of her daydream before she had buried herself too far to come back. That was something she had been working on lately, keeping herself under control, with the kids around she didn’t have another choice. Glancing at the clock over the stove she cursed quietly under her breath, at this rate they were going to be late.

“CARTER,” Pam yelled down the hall to her sports loving son, “are you almost ready?”

“Yeah Mom,” Carter answered and moments later he flew into the kitchen, a Philles baseball cap on his head and a couple bags in his hand, “I’m ready.”

“Do you have everything you need?” Pam asked, “your homework for the weekend, pjs, toothbrush…”

“Yes mom,” Carter answered rolling his eyes, “I have everything, including everything for that report I have to finish.”

“Okay, just checking.”

“Are we leaving soon?” Carter asked, “Dad promised to take us to the game this weekend, I’m really excited.”

“Of course we are going to leave soon,” Pam answered, “as soon as your sister is ready. Why don’t you go help her with her bags and I’ll finish up dinner.”

“Okay,” Carter shrugged and left the kitchen. Just in time to miss the tears that cascaded down her cheeks.

“Get a hold of yourself Pam,” she scolded herself, “you can’t keep doing this to yourself.”

Shaking it off, reminding her that they had done the right thing for their family, she finished up the dinner she was making.

As much as she hated admitting it, she knew that their separation really was what was best for them. All of their fighting had really taken a toll on Carter and Lizzie and they both seemed happier that their parents were fighting like cats and dogs anymore. Though, Pam had lost count of the number of times Lizzie had asked when her father would be coming home. It was something she wished she never had to hear her ask.

“Momma,” Lizzie called, “I’m ready! And I found Mr. Beets, thanks!”

“Your welcome,” Pam smiled, “we wouldn’t want Uncle Dwight to think you’d lost him or something. Now guys, lets get you all loaded into the car, okay?”

“Yup!” Carter answered and grabbed his bags before heading to the garage. Loading their bags, toys, and bodies into her car, she drove slowly away from her house…their house. It still held so many memories that tugged on Pam’s heart-strings and sometimes seeing it when she pulled up caused her heart to ache.

“Momma?” Lizzie’s small voice asked, “are you sad?”

“I’m sad that you and your brother won’t be able to go to the park with me tomorrow,” Pam answered with a smile aimed at her daughter. “But you and your dad will have a good time this weekend too.”

“I wish you could stay with us at daddy’s,” Lizzie said and Pam nearly choked on her water, “I wish we could be a family again, like before…”

“Shut up Lizzie,” Carter’s angry voice interrupted, “we aren’t a family anymore. Just drop it.”

Pam pulled off the side of the road and into a parking lot. She turned around in her seat and looked at heartbrokenly at her two children.

“Guys,” she started, “I know this had been hard on you two. And I’m so sorry. Daddy and I are just trying to sort some stuff out and we have to do that apart right now.”

“Will daddy ever come home mom?” Carter asked, voicing a question that she had never hear him ask before. “Cause Tommy, at school, said when his dad moved away he never came back. I want daddy to come home.”

“I know you do sport,” she said, rubbing her hand against his hair, “I know you both do. I can’t tell you what will happen, I don’t know yet. But we’ll do everything we can for you guys. Your daddy and I love you very much. You know that right?”

Both little heads nodded and Pam smiled.

“Good,” she said, “cause we do. We’d better go or daddy is going to think we forgot about him.”

Pam pulled back out on the road and turned up the stereo to let the sounds of Disney fill the car and erase the thoughts and tears of past mistakes.

---

As Pam pulled into the Wal-mart parking lot that they had designated to meet up at that was halfway between their two residences, she smiled sadly when she saw his black SUV.

“Look momma! Daddy beat us here.”

“He sure did Lizzie,” Pam answered with a smile and pulled into a parking space near his. “There is a first time for everything huh?”

“And he brought Champ,” Carter exclaimed pointing to the giant golden retriever that was sitting at her husband’s feet. “I’ve missed him!”

“I know you have buddy,” Pam assured him, “but now you’ll have all weekend to play with him.”

Pam put the car in park and within seconds both children were out of their seats and in their father’s arms. She watched their interactions with a grin and watched as her husband’s blue eyes sparkled.

“Hi,” he said, his voice cautious.

“Hi,” she replied with a shrug before turning her attention back towards Lizzie and Carter. “Come and give me hugs guys so you and your dad can get on the road.”

Four arms found themselves around her waist in seconds and she choked back tears and returned the hugs with intensity.

“I love you both,” she whispered, “so much. Be good this weekend, okay?”

“We will,” they promised and Pam hugged them again quickly.

“Okay,” she said and handed both their bags. “I’ve got to head home. I’ll see you on Sunday.”

“Bye mom.”

“Bye momma.”

“Bye guys,” Pam said, blowing them both kisses. Turning to their father she nodded.

“Bye Pam,” she heard his voice and was glad her back was towards him. It gave her a chance to regain composure before answering.

“Bye Jim.”

Then she climbed in her car and drove away, refusing to allow herself to look in the rearview mirror, telling herself again that they had done the right thing.

It was something she was having a hard time re-convincing herself now.

Chapter End Notes:
I'm wondering what you think, so reviews would be great.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans