- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I'm a complete sucker for "they've met before Dunder-Mifflin" stories, and this one just popped into my head. It's ridiculously sappy, but I liked picturing it and writing it!

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

The kindergarten room is already full of sounds when they arrive. The two children look up at their mothers with nervous eyes. They look sweet and clean in brand new school clothes, so different from the sunsuits and shorts of summer.  The two mothers smile ruefully at each other as they crouch down to eye level. They whisper all of the sweet nothings that mothers tell their babies on their first days of school, that it will be so much fun, and Mrs. Lowell is so happy to see them again, that Mommy will be back so soon, and didn’t they remember when they got to come look at the room and all of the toys last week?

 

The children listen intently. The little boy smiles and nods at his mother, turns, and runs toward a pile of big wooden blocks without looking back. His mother has tears in her eyes as she straightens up. The little girl’s mother looks sympathetic as she hugs her daughter tightly. ‘See,” she says, pointing, “The blocks look like lots of fun, and I bet that little boy is a nice friend.”

 

The little girl surveys the scene, and when Mrs. Lowell beckons, she lets her mother hug her once more, then crosses the carpet to the blocks. The boy immediately offers her a block, and his mother is proud that she taught him well. “It’s hard, isn’t it?” says the little girl’s mother.

 

“He didn’t even look back,” replies the little boy’s mother, wiping her eyes.

 

 “Oh, they’ll miss us,” says the girl’s mother, as Mrs. Lowell comes over to them.


            “It’s so nice to see you again,” she welcomes them in a warm voice, so suitable for a kindergarten teacher; “I know this is a rough day, but we think it’s easiest on the children if the parents make a quiet exit. Feel free to visit the gym for coffee and cookies as a Welcome Back from the PTA.”

 

The mothers take the hint, thank Mrs. Lowell and edge their ways out of the room. They take one last glance at their babies, now holding hands on the circle carpet as Mrs. Lowell guides them into place for the Good Morning song.

 

In the hallway, they look at each other and laugh. “I feel like I’m leaving her forever,” says the girl’s mother in a wobbly voice.

 

The boy’s mother laughs, because if she doesn’t, she’ll cry. “Let’s be strong, we can make it for three hours,” she says. They both laugh. The boy’s mother holds out her hand. “I’m Helene; it’s nice to meet you.”

 

The girl’s mother shakes hands. “I’m Kathryn, and I’m so happy to meet someone in the same boat,” she smiles. “We just moved here a little while ago, and I’m afraid we won’t be here more than a few more weeks. My husband is getting transferred to another branch, so it looks like we’re moving soon.”

 

“Oh, that’s too bad. It must be tough to move with little ones,” says Helene.

 

“It hasn’t been too bad. This move will be the last, and we can get Larissa settled in her new school. Luckily, they make friends so easily at this age.”

 

Helene laughs. “You’re right about that. It looks like she and Jeffy are best friends already.” 

 

 

She smiles down at the stroller in front of Kathryn. “And who is this little man?” she asks, as the toddler sucking his thumb surveys her.

 

“This is James,” Kathryn replies proudly. “He’s two, and don’t be fooled by the smile. He’s into everything!”

 

Helene laughs. Kathryn in turn smiles down at Helene’s stroller and asks, “How about your baby?”


            Helene automatically rocks the stroller. “This is my Pammy, and she’s ten months old.” Pammy arches her back and grins at her mother and Kathryn, who smiles delightedly. James is not impressed and reaches out for Pammy’s stuffed penguin.


            “Uh-oh, kiddo, give that back to Pammy,” his mother says, reaching down and gently prying the toy from his fingers, “You can’t always have what everyone else has.”

 

Then both mothers laugh, because Pammy reaches out and hands the toy back to James.  “Or maybe you can,” muses Helene. They walk in tandem down the colorful hallway and stop at the doorway.

 

“Well, I have to get Pammy home and down for a nap so she’ll be awake by eleven,” says Helene, “but how about taking the kids to the park after school?”

 

“Sounds great,” agrees Kathryn, rescuing the penguin and handing it back to Pammy. James sticks his thumb back in his mouth as they wheel out of the school into the bright September sunshine.

 

As the pairs part ways, James turns and waves to Pammy, who smiles. Kathryn watches her boy and thinks it’s a pity they’re moving so soon, they could all be such good friends. As her grandmother used to say, “Perhaps we’ll meet again in a different life.”

 

 She has no idea how relevant that’ll someday be.



McGigi is the author of 22 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans