- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Thanks to Steve Carrell for writing Pam's dialog here.

“Hello?” Pam’s mother still didn’t have caller ID, so she always answered the phone like a question. 

“Hey, Mom.” 

“Hi, sweetie. How’s it going? Better today?” Pam smiled. She’d called her mother a lot over the last few days. She’d been enjoying her time at Pratt so far, but it was a big change, and she hadn’t wanted Jim to worry. 

“Yes,” Pam answered, half laughing. “Yes, definitely. Today is definitely better.” She laughed for real. “Listen, Mom, I can’t talk, I’m driving, but I had to tell you.  He did it, Mom. Jim- he finally  proposed.” 

“What!? When?”  

“About ten minutes ago.” 

“Oh,  Pam. Oh, I’m so happy for you! Wait, you did give him the right answer, didn’t you?” 

“Yes, I absolutely knew what to say!” 

“Oh, honey. It’s been a long time coming.” 

“Yes, I know.”  Pam’s laughter stilled for a moment as she thought about the long path they’d traveled. It was worth it, every step. 

Her mother’s voice broke into her thoughts. “He’s a good man, Pam,” she said seriously. 

“I know, Mom. He’s my best friend.” 

“He’s good for you.”  Her mom’s voice was thick with emotion, and Pam herself started to tear up in response. “Yeah, he’s great,” she managed to say.  

“Oh, Pam. I’m just so- this is so wonderful, honey. I think you’re really going to be very happy.”

Drenched from the rain, eyes streaked with tears, Pam broke into a smile that she thought might last forever.

“Yeah, I think I am.”

Chapter End Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.



nqllisi is the author of 87 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 7 members. Members who liked The phone call, reprised also liked 2596 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans