- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Just figured I'd get in on the fun in the aftermath of all the goodness of Weight Loss.  It's light, maybe a bit fluffy and definitely intended to keep the smiles coming.

I do not purport to own Jim, Pam or any other character inhabiting (or affiliated with, either in whole or in part) a branch office of a fictional, northeastern Pennsylvania paper company...and no copyright infringement is intended.

 

                    RHYTHM OF THE RAIN  

The rhythmic ‘tat-tat-tattering’ of the rain against the windshield did nothing to muffle the pounding in Jim’s chest as he caught sight of her...waiting expectantly by the entrance in the wind blown chill of this blustery afternoon.  His heart felt close to bursting, consumed with a nervous mix of anticipation, joy, wonder, and desire...and maybe even a bit of fear and doubt.  But the smile that greeted him in the moment her eyes locked with his was all that was needed to convince him that this was it...that right here, right now was the starting point for the rest of his life...for the rest of their lives! 

There was no need to wait, no need to hold out for the perfect time, the perfect place...the perfect words that would magically convey all the feelings and hopes and dreams he had for her and for them.  That was nothing more than a fool’s errand and he’d been playing the fool long enough. 

 

Hadn’t he and Pam been living those very hopes and dreams and words...every hour of every day since he’d come back that one afternoon to simply asked her if she was ‘free for dinner’?  Hadn’t they set themselves on this certain course from the very moment she’d accepted his invitation for a date? 

 

The answer was a simple ‘yes’.  Jim knew it...Pam knew it...no question.  And that’s exactly how they’d been living their lives ever since.  Not as tentative strangers hoping to discover the other’s quirks, ticks and flaws for the very first time; but two people…in union…who had come to fully understand and accept what their hearts had been telling them all along. 

 

Somehow, and despite everything...they’d found their way to each other.  What could possibly be more perfect than that? 

 

What could be more perfect than loving this wonderful woman with all that he had?  What could be more perfect than knowing that she loved him as completely as he did her?  What could be more perfect than committing his happiness to a lifetime shared with someone who believed in him, completely?  And what could be more perfect than daring to trust the whole of his being to the one person who knew him as no one else ever could? 

 

In the sparkle in Pamela Beesly’s eyes and the wide, bright flash of her smile Jim found his answer...nothing!  Nothing could ever be…would ever be as perfect as this…absolutely nothing! 

 

So on this day, at this hour…this was where he was meant to be…a nondescript, brick convenience mart off Exit 17.   Forty dollars worth of gas and exploding sodas and the woman who had brought him more happiness than he’d ever known or deserved.

 

The ‘tat-tat-tattering’ of the rain continued its rhythmic beat to the surge of anticipation coursing through Jim’s entire being as he looked at Pam.  His mouth was dry, the back of his neck warm and his palms, sweaty.  God, how he wanted her...how he needed her!  He knew there was no longer any reason to defer his hopes and dreams and desires for a future with this woman he loved.  And he knew Pam was ready to join him.  This was the time…this was the place.

 

As he unfastened his seatbelt and opened the door, he was resolute in his determination to go to her, to hold her, to smother her in kisses...to make this happen....right now!  No more wistful pranks, no undue vacillation…and no turning back.  This was it.

 

This was the moment when Jim Halpert’s future would finally become his destiny.

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading and here's hoping we get many more reasons from Jim and Pam to keep the smiles coming this season.


Mr Bill is the author of 11 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked RHYTHM OF THE RAIN also liked 1048 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans