- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is my first attempt at Jim/Pam fan fiction, so please take it easy on me! A friend of mine wanted a fan fic of Pam taking care of Jim while he was sick, and I happened to be in the mood to write one. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: The characters of Jim and Pam, as well as the Office, does not belong to me. It belongs to the NBC network and affiliates. Since I'm a big fan of not getting sued, no copyright infringement is intended. Also, this fanfic contains mild spoilers of Jim and Pam's relationship as of season 5.
Pam smiled, as she usually did when she saw Jim's name come up on her cell phone. She was thankful that she was actually nearby to hear it ring; it was always bittersweet to know Jim had been trying to get ahold of her while she had been out with friends, in a class, or working at her new job at corporate. It was Friday and, at the moment, she was facing an eventless three day weekend, the first since she began her classes at Pratt. Jim obviously knew of her lack of plans (since she told him eagerly at least twice a day) and she hoped that they could somehow meet up since they haven't been together in such a long time.

"Hey, babe," Pam said as she picked up the phone.

"Hi, Pam," Jim replied. His voice sounded different. Raspy.

"What's up?" Pam asked, letting the concern show in her voice.

"Not a lot," was Jim's response, and then Pam could hear about ten straight seconds of what was unmistakably a coughing fit. Jim seemed to have held the phone away as he sputtered and choked so his fiance wouldn't hear him and worry.

"You're sick," Pam said.

"However you like it, baby," Jim joked.

"No, Jim, you're actually sick. Are you okay?"

"I feel pretty crappy," Jim replied honestly. "I know that we were supposed to meet up today, but I don't want you to catch it. I called in sick today at work and everything..."

"Oh, Jim, don't be silly," Pam said. "I'll drive up and take care of you."

"You don't have to do that."

"I want to, though, Jim. You shouldn't have to feel like crap and be all by yourself."

"All right, Mama Beesly," Jim said, and Pam could tell by his voice that he was smiling. "If you insist."

* * *

Pam found herself in front of the door of Jim's appartment building. Jim's roommate will probably be at work already, Pam thought to herself. She was secretly disappointed that she couldn't take advantage of this precious time alone with her fiance as she found Jim's house key on her key chain and let herself in. Jim was immediately in sight lying on the couch, wrapped up in a fleece blanket and watching television. He saw her come in and smiled a weak smile.

"I would make out with you right now," he said, "but I don't want you to get cooties."

Jim didn't quite look like himself. The blanket was up to his shoulder, but the skin of his face was pale save a bright red nose. The bangs of his hair were stuck to his forehead with sweat, and his eyes were watering.

"This isn't your best look, Jim," Pam said lightheartedly.

"I guess this is what they mean by 'in sickness and in health' when they make marriage vows, huh?" Jim responded. "You're not going to break off the engagement because I look and feel like swamp thing, are you?"

"Don't be a dork," Pam said. "You look cute. You always look cute. How do you even handle it?"

"You should know."

Pam beamed and found herself blushing, just a little.

"How are you feeling?"

"Better," Jim said, smiling at her. "But I guess I have a bit of everything. Sore throat, stuffy nose, coughing, fever...all that fun stuff."

"Do you want anything?" Pam asked.

"A sponge bath would be lovely."

Pam laughed. "No, really. Anything to eat, maybe?"

"Now that you mention it, I haven't eaten yet today," Jim remarked. "Aren't you supposed to have chicken soup at this type of thing?"

"I guess so," Pam said, giggling.

"I'll order that, then. There's some Campbell's in the cupboard."

Pam had been around Jim's kitchen countless times. Without any trouble she was able to find, open, and heat the can of soup. She also made herself a peanut butter and jelly with Jim's permission and later fixed up a tuna fish sandwich when Jim thought he could eat more. To wash it all down, she got herself some water and poured Jim a tall glass of orange juice.

After Jim's belly was full and satisfied, Pam sat on Jim's recliner and watched a rerun of Full House with him. They laughed together mockingly as DJ's dad gave her the morals of the day and silly music played in the background. As the end credits rolled, Jim sighed.

"What's wrong, hun?" Pam asked.

"I just noticed," Jim began, "that was the first time we've ever watched a full TV show at my house without us cuddling at least once."

"Awww," Pam replied despairingly. "I'll get you better fast so we can fill up our cuddling quota during the weekend, okay?"

Jim opened his mouth to reply, but let out a gigantic sneeze instead of words.

"I'm just a little stuffed," Jim remarked.

"Do you have anything that can help clear that up?" Pam asked. "Some medicine?"

"There is vapor rub in the medicine cabinet," Jim replied, closing his eyes contently.

By the time Pam had went in and out of Jim's bathroom, returning with the vapor rub, Jim was already sitting up on the couch with his blanket pulled back. It was then that Pam noticed that Jim had been in his boxers the entire time. She opened the jar and gagged, the stinging scent of Vicks burning her nostrils and the back of her throat. After scooping a good sized glob onto her fingers, she began rubbing it on his chest. Even though the situation was far from appropriate, Pam once again thought longingly of the fact that they were alone.

"Oooo, Beesly," Jim said. "You're so feisty!"

"Let's just say I wish I was rubbing something on your chest other than Vicks," Pam said teasingly.

Pam winked at him as she went to wash the Vicks off of her hands, and then returned to sit down on the floor by his side. Jim, tired of having Pam so near and not being able to hold her, grasped her hand tenderly.

"Do you want me to tell you what I did at work yesterday?" Jim asked, grinning.

"Did it have anything to do with Dwight?" Pam inquired, knowing that smile all too well.

"I was really sick yesterday," Jim began, tracing Pam's hand with his thumb. "It was even worse than today. I even threw up on break. Dwight was so freaked out, but he told me about how Schrutes have developed an immunity to disease. They had to, or else they couldn't survive the black death in Europe."

Pam smiled, nodding for him to go on. Jim continued.

"I wanted to see how immune Dwight really was. Every time he got up and left, I rubbed my hands all over his stuff. Keyboard, mouse, stapler, pens, bobble head doll...everything. I even spit in his coffee while he wasn't looking."

Pam could not contain herself and burst out into laughter. She often found herself doing this around Jim with such ease. As she looked into Jim's eyes, which were crinkled as he laughed with her, she was so thankful for him, so thankful for these little things that she had taken for granted. She appreciated them now that she couldn't encounter them every day.

"I love you, Jim," Pam said softly. She didn't even remember thinking that she should tell him; it poured out the second she felt it, and she couldn't keep it inside. Jim smiled warmly at her.

"I love you, too, Nurse Beesly," he replied, his smile growing wider.

After moments upon moments of chatting, joking, and carrying on, Jim fell asleep on the couch. He looked so tranquil there, and Pam was happy for him since he told her that he had only gotten four hours of sleep the night before. Without the worry of catching any disease, Pam smoothed back the hair on Jim's forehead and kissed him there lovingly.

Being a bit tired herself, Pam went into Jim's room and relaxed on his bed. She was taken in by the smell of him on his sheets, feeling content about their long distance relationship for the first time in months. When Jim gets better, Pam thought to herself, I am going to take him out. I am going to take more time out of my busy day to contact him, to appreciate him.

Distance makes the heart grow fonder was Pam's final thought as she closed her eyes and fell into a peaceful sleep.
Chapter End Notes:
For those that see Jim in boxers and Pam rubbing Vicks on his chest as sexual content, I added the warning as a precaution. ;) The friend that requested this insisted that I post it on here and that I'm going to have a lot of fans. I guess only time shall tell!


TunaIsMyFavoriteFood is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 5 members. Members who liked I Love You, too, Nurse Beesly also liked 1456 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans