- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Oy! The conversation at the end of Employee Survey made my heart hurt. I just had to figure out a way to work it all out and perhaps come up with a win-win-win situation.
Disclaimer: I own nothing other than a vague queasy feeling and an ache in my heart. I do not own these characters, or anything having to do with them. I just want them to be happy. No infringement is intended.

I am that guy.

Jim stared straight ahead, his mind racing as he tried to process what had just happened. He felt the scrape of stubble against his finger, but little else. He could sense Dwight’s stare, but he was too focused on the silence the roared in his ear, waiting for Pam to say something, anything.

Dwight leaned in close, staring at Jim’s ear as he asked, “Is that the Matahashi B400? The world’s tiniest bluetooth?” Jim snapped from his reverie and turned to Dwight just as he stretched a finger out to touch Jim’s ear and asked, “May I?”

“Don’t,” Jim answered in a no nonsense tone.

“Jim?” Pam asked, her voice sounding weak and unsure.

“Yeah, still here,” Jim answered gruffly as he waved Dwight away.

“So, uh, wow,” Pam said slowly. “That was weird, wasn’t it?”

“Um, yeah,” Jim answered. Realizing that he was wholly unprepared to have this conversation at the moment, he sat up a little straighter in his chair and said, “Hey, listen, I need to go.”

“Jim,” Pam protested.

“No, seriously, I have a few more calls to make to follow up on the survey, and you need to work, or go get some free wine and cheese,” he said, unable to suppress the bitter laugh that escaped him.

“I think we need to talk,” Pam said firmly.

Jim blinked, his heart hammering in his chest, his stomach twisting into knots. “Um, yeah, okay,” he stammered. He leaned forward, propping one elbow on his desk as he ducked his head and said in a low voice, “Not now, okay? Not here, please.”

“But, Jim.”

“Seriously, Pam, please? Let me call you tonight,” he said urgently.

“I have class,” she answered automatically.

“I’ll call you after class,” he promised.

“Okay, but Jim? Alex was just…” she started to say.

“I’ll call you later,” Jim said quickly, disconnecting the call before she could get another word out. He covered his face with both hands, scrubbing his fingers over his eyes as he tried to gather his composure.

Jim’s in Scranton. The words echoed through his mind, taunting him.

Oh my God, I’m that guy. I’m the guy that’s holding her back.

Jim’s in Scranton, he heard her voice repeating the words. Of course, the irony of it all wasn’t lost on him. There was nothing that Jim appreciated more in that moment than the beautiful irony of hearing those words come out of her mouth. His mind flashed to the drive home to Scranton after asking David Wallace to withdraw his name from consideration for Jan’s old job. Pam was in Scranton, and all he wanted to do was get back to Scranton and give it, give them, one last shot. As he drove back that afternoon, each time he saw a sign that even mentioned Scranton, all he could thinks was, Pam’s in Scranton.

Jim drummed his fingers on his desk, glancing up furtively to see if anyone could possibly see the maelstrom that was raging inside of him. Out of habit, he looked over at reception and spotted Ryan behind the desk. He cocked his head and sat back in his chair, blinking a few times as the idea took shape in his brain. When Ryan looked up and met his gaze, Jim blinked and leapt up from his chair. He took a deep breath and tried to calm himself a bit as he tapped on Michael’s door.

“Enter!” Michael’s called in a booming voice. When Jim opened the door, Michael beamed at him and said, “Sunshine Boys. Walter Matthau. Pure genius.”

“Yes,” Jim answered, drawing the word out. “Hey, listen, there were a few people that Kelly surveyed that I didn’t call. I think I’d rather go see them in person.”

Michael waved the thought off and said, “Nah, I wouldn’t worry about it. Hey, you wanna get a beer after work?”

Jim shook his head, pressing his lips together. “No. Can’t. I really think I should go talk to these guys and then I have some other stuff to do tonight.”

“Stuff? What kind of stuff? Pam’s gone! You’re footloose and fancy free, my friend,” Michael cajoled.

“Um, my parents,” Jim said, unable to work up enough energy to come up with a better excuse. “I’m just gonna go, uh, make a couple of calls in person, and then, you know, go, uh, help my mom. With the house,” he added as an afterthought.

“Well, okay. If you think you need to. Nothing like the personal touch, that’s what I always say,” Michael said as his bobbed. “Good call. This is why you’re one of the best,” he enthused, recovering quickly.

Seeing his out, Jim nodded and pointed to Michael as he laid it on thick. “Well, I learned from the best, right? I’ll, um, I’ll see you tomorrow,” he said as he backed out of the office, pulling the door closed behind him.

“Go get ‘em, tiger!” Michael called after him.

Jim hurried to his desk, powered down his computer, and grabbed his jacket and bag. As he walked quickly past reception he called to Ryan, “I’m going out to meet a couple of clients, I’ll be back tomorrow.”

Ryan nodded approvingly and said, “Proactive. That’s what you have to be in business today.”

As he waited for the elevator, Jim pulled out his wallet, searching for the business card he had slipped into the side compartment long ago. He dialed the direct line that was scrawled on the back as he stepped onto the elevator and waited, staring at the floor numbers as the phone rang once, twice, and then a third time before it was picked up.

“Oh, hi, it’s Jim Halpert,” he said quickly. “Listen, I’m sorry to call like this, but I was wondering if it would be possible for you to meet me this evening. Just for a few minutes, I have something that I need to discuss with you, and I’d like to do it in person.” He listened for a moment and then said, “No. no, it not that.” He paused and then answered, “No, really, I know it’s an imposition, but it really can’t wait until tomorrow.” He listened as the elevator doors opened and he stepped off into the lobby. “I’ll meet you anywhere. I promise, I won’t take more than thirty minutes of your time,” he said as he pushed through the doors, pulling his car keys from his pocket. “Really? Thank you! No, I remember the way. Okay, um, I’m on my way. Thanks again,” he added before disconnecting the call.

Jim unlocked the car and tossed his bag and jacket into the backseat. He plopped down into the driver’s seat and then pulled his phone from the holster and pressed and held the number three. When the call connected, he said, “Hey, it’s me.” He ran his hand over the back of his neck and said, “Listen, Mom, about the house. There may be a complication.”

****

He stood with his fists balled in his pants pockets as he waited for someone to answer the door. Jim’s in Scranton. Her words kept playing over and over again in his head like a bad made for TV movie voiceover.

When the door opened, he jerked his head up and blurted, “I’m so sorry for disrupting your evening. I promise it won’t take long.”

“Come in,” Mrs. Wallace said as she stepped back to allow him to pass. “It’s nice to see you again, Jim. David’s in his office,” she said as she started to lead him down the hallway. She opened a door and said, “Honey? Jim’s here.”

David Wallace stood up from his chair and held out his hand. “Jim. Good to see you again,” he said as his wife closed the door as she left.

“I really appreciate this,” Jim said as he shook the man’s hand.

“No trouble at all really, you’re saving me from helping with math homework. The way they teach these kids these days,” he said as he shook his head with a rueful smile. “Makes you feel like you need to go back and repeat the third grade.” Jim chuckled softly, and David gestured to one of the chairs near the fireplace. “Can I get you a drink?” he asked.

“Oh, no, thanks, this will only take a few minutes and I really don’t want to impose any more than I already have,” Jim answered as David took the seat across from him holding a highball glass. Jim took a deep breath and then plunged in. “I need to talk to you about possible positions at Corporate,” he said as he rubbed the palms of his hands together nervously. “I know that you haven’t filled, uh, Ryan’s job yet, and I was wondering…”

“If I recall correctly, you said you weren’t interested in that job,” David said pointedly.

Jim nodded, ducking his head as he tried to figure out what to say next. “Well, it doesn’t have to be that job. Any job, really,” he added, a note of desperation edging its way into his voice.

David leaned forward and said, “Jim, is this about Michael? I always thought that you got along well with him.”

Jim shook his head vehemently and said, “No, no, this has nothing to do with Michael. This is about me. Personally,” he said as he dared to glance up at David. He sat back in the chair, rubbing his chin as he tried to gather his thoughts. Finally, he said, “Listen, this is probably more than you want or need to know, but I think I need to explain something.” When David nodded encouragingly, Jim took a deep breath and then forged ahead. “Do you know Pam Beesly, our receptionist?”

“I’ve spoken to her, but I don’t think I’ve ever met her,” David answered with a confused frown. “Did Michael…”

Jim shook his head again and said, “No. Pam and I are engaged.”

“Oh. Well, congratulations,” David said in a bewildered tone.

“Thanks. You see, I have loved Pam for years. Years. Long before we ever, uh, got together. For a number of reasons, I didn’t think I had a chance with her. That’s why I transferred to Stamford. That’s why I applied for the job at Corporate,” he said in a low voice. “But Pam is the reason I couldn’t take Jan’s old job.” When David’s eyebrows shot up, Jim flashed him a self-deprecating smile and said, “That day, while we were doing the interview, I got a note from her that made me think, made me hope.” Jim twisted his fingers together and then said, “So, I went back, and I got the girl.”

“I see,” David said with a small smile.

“She’s fantastic. Beautiful, funny, smart. She’s an amazing artist,” Jim said with a proud smile.

“Sounds like you’re a lucky man,” David said as he toasted Jim with his drink.

“I am, I am,” Jim murmured.

“Does Pam want to move to New York? Is that what this is about?” David asked.

“Well, you see, she’s there now. She’s doing an art program at Pratt, and working part time at Corporate as a matter of fact,” Jim told him.

“Oh! She’s the one that Michael called me about. The girl that dressed up as Charlie Chaplin,” David said as he made the connection.

Jim’s smile was wide as he said, “Yeah, that’s Pam.” He nodded and said, “So, anyway, I think she may be thinking about New York more. I mean, if you’re going to be an artist, where better, right?” he added with a nervous laugh. “And I, I don’t want to be the reason that she comes back to Scranton. I don’t want to be the guy that holds her back,” he said as he lifted his eyes to meet David’s directly. “And so, here I am,” he said as he held his palms up helplessly.

“I see.”

“It doesn’t have to be a promotion or anything. Hell, I’d work in the mailroom. I’d do anything,” Jim said bluntly. “I just want her to have the best possible life.”

David chuckled as he looked down into his glass. “You’re a good guy, Jim,” he said quietly.

Jim shook his head slowly and said, “No, not nearly good enough, but I’m working on it.”

David took a deep breath and said, “We were toying with the idea of not filling Ryan’s spot at all. Thinking about doing a little restructuring.” Jim nodded as he swallowed hard, but didn’t interrupt. “You know, you were on my short list for that job, Sixers fan or not,” David said thoughtfully.

“I appreciate that,” Jim said quietly.

“Have you talked to Pam about all of this?” David asked.

Jim shook his head and said, “No, I’m going to talk to her tonight. I just needed to know if there was even a chance of me being able to work this out.”

David cocked his head and said, “A chance? Well, yes, there’s always a chance. Your numbers are good, you’re a straight shooter,” he said as he raised his eyebrows pointedly. “I believe that if this is what you want to do, we may be able to find something for you.”

“That’s all I needed to know,” Jim answered. “I just, I wasn’t sure after last year,” he said with a wince.

David smiled and said with a shrug, “Yes, well, it’s hard to find good mailroom help.”

Jim laughed and said, “I promise you, if that’s all you have, I will sort that mail like it has never been sorted before.”

“I’m sure you will. Go talk to Pam. If the two of you decide that New York is where you need to be, then call me,” he said kindly.

Jim stood up and offered his hand. “Thank you. Thank you,” he said in a rush. “I’ll, uh, I appreciate the time and I’m sorry for interrupting your evening,” he said as David stood up to shake his hand.

“It was no problem at all,” David assured him as he started to see Jim to the door.

“I’ll let you get to that homework now,” Jim said with a smile as they walked down the hallway.

“Are you sure you can’t stay?” David asked quickly. “Shoot some hoops? I really hate multiplication tables,” he joked.

Jim smiled as David opened the front door for him and said, “No, I have to get to the city.”

“Yes,” David said simply.

“Another time, though. I’ll even let you see if you can beat me at HORSE,” Jim added with a grin.

David laughed and said, “I accept your challenge.”

Jim stepped out onto the porch and held up a hand as he said, “Thanks again.”

David nodded and said, “Good luck. Now go get her.”

Jim nodded and said, “That’s the plan,” as he turned to walk to his car.
Chapter End Notes:
What do you think? Please let me know. I have ideas for going forward if there is interest.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans