- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

He liked her almost immediately.  He wasn't sure what it was exactly, but there was a warmth and a sense of humor there that just seemed to click instantly with him.  He hadn't really met a girl like her before.

When he asked her to have lunch with him, she seemed slightly hesitant before accepting.  It took him halfway through lunch to figure out why, when she finally dropped the b-word.

Boyfriend.  She had one.  A pretty serious one, it seemed, since she went on for ten minutes talking about him.  Apparently it was only a matter of time before they got engaged, in fact.  They were just sorting a few things out first, then she was going to spend the rest of her life with this guy.

Of course, he was crushed, but he tried not to show it.  Instead he made a few jokes about unrelated things, and she laughed and smiled and he thought, it just figures.

But she was nice, and they could be friends, at least.  Right?

So he tried.  He saw her every day, joked with her, had fun goofing off with her.  Just friends, he thought.  But try as he might to fight it, it was more than that.  He really liked her.  He often imagined her dumping her loser boyfriend and deciding she wanted to be with him instead, because he certainly understood her in a way The Other Guy couldn't.  He got her.

When she showed up one day wearing a diamond ring on her left hand, excitedly brandishing it in front of his face, he wanted to throw up.  But he smiled and congratulated her anyway.  She seemed so happy in that moment; who was he to tell her she was making a huge mistake?

And he accepted it, for now.  He was her friend.  He'd only ever be her friend.  That should have been enough.

But here he was.  The clock was running out, and he was about to lose her forever.  He had to act.  She was making a huge mistake, and he had to somehow let her know.  The Other Guy didn't deserve her.  He deserved her. 

He had a tendency to act impulsively.  This time, however, he had a plan.  And Alex was determined not to let her get away.
Chapter End Notes:
I am still deciding whether this is just a short oneshot or it will continue.  


ExtremelyGruntled is the author of 20 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 5 members. Members who liked Surroundings also liked 455 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans