- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Toby is in HR and he has watched, at last count, twenty-seven different videos and read at least three times that many pamphlets on the subject of sexual harassment. But, frankly, if Michael hasn't been sued all ready, Toby figures he's safe, so when Meredith tucks her flask into the top of her skirt and nods towards the coat closet, Toby shrugs and follows.

"Hi," she says, holding onto the nearest coat for support. Toby thinks it belongs to Jim's date, the bubbly girl with the purses, but that's mostly just because it has a pink fur collar. For all he knows, it's Oscar's. Which is a terribly inappropriate thing to think and Toby wonders for about the fiftieth time this hour how much longer before this job makes him truly insane in a sleeping-in-the-garage-with-the-car-running kind of way.

Meredith lurches toward him and he presses his hand against her waist to hold her up. "Hi," he says. The smell of whiskey is comforting and nauseating at the same time and he uses his free hand to take the flask from Meredith's skirt.

She giggles as he drinks from it and steps closer. "This is the worst--" She squints and looks around, then back at Toby. "What holiday are we celebrating?"

"This is Dunder-Mifflin's First Annual Employee Martin Luther King, Jr. Day party." He shakes his head and takes another drink, wincing. The last time he drank anything this cheap was college and it's not as though he's a big spender now. But then, he does know exactly how much Meredith makes, so it shouldn't be a surprise. "We don't get the day off anymore, but we do celebrate."

Meredith cough-laughs and takes the flask back, tipping her head back to get all the remaining liquid. She grins and when she falls into him, she tastes like whiskey, toner, and berry-flavored lipstick.


fic_by_K is the author of 1 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans