- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I am way too involved in this show and still mad at Pam for going on that date.  This is the result.  Spoilers through "The Convention."

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

He was twelve years old when he got into his first fight.

 

His best friend, Scott Crane, said he would wait for him outside as he made up a math quiz.

 

Ten minutes later, he pushed open the front doors of the school to find Jeremy Kellogg, the class bully, shoving Scott against a wall.

 

“Hey!  Get away from him!”

 

Jeremy turned at the sound of his voice and smiled like the cocky asshole he was.

 

“Halpert, I’d be happy to kick your ass when I’m done with him.  Just wait your turn.”

 

He didn’t.

 

Seeing the fear in Scott’s eyes caused him to run at Jeremy with all his might. 

 

Soon, Jeremy was on the ground and everything was spinning and he couldn’t believe this was really happening.

 

It was.

 

And when Jeremy’s fist connected with his mouth, he tasted blood and fear and regret.

 

But there was no turning back now.

 

So he did the only thing he could: he fought back even harder.

 

And when his fist connected with Jeremy’s jaw, and he saw fear in his eyes, the fear and regret quickly subsided.

 

Because he was strong and he was going to be okay.

 

************************************************************************

 

He sat in his hotel room, three cosmos later, and stared out the window.

 

Michael knew the reason he transferred to Stamford.

 

And that reason was on a date with someone that wasn’t him.

 

And his heart was breaking all over again and his mind was cloudy from the alcohol and all he wanted to do was call her.

 

So he did.

 

He walked over to the dresser and picked up his cellphone.

 

He carefully dialed the numbers and was surprised that his hands weren’t shaking.

 

His intent was as clear as it had been so many years ago: he needed to save someone.

 

Only this time, it was himself.

 

And when she answered, sleepy and dazed, his heart pounding in his ears, he didn’t hesitate.

 

“I’m sorry to call so late, but I needed to talk to you.”

 

He took a deep breath and heard her suck in one of her own.

 

“I don’t regret what I did…not for a minute.  Because it was time to do something.  And even though the outcome wasn’t what I had hoped for, I’m glad I did it.”

 

The tears were forming and his hands started shaking and he knew he had to end this now.

 

“And I really want you to be happy.  It’s not as easy as everyone makes it out to be, but I hope that you are.  I’m starting to think that I can be.”

 

And as the first tear fell onto his shirt, he said goodbye and hung up.

 

He even allowed himself a small smile.

 

Because he was strong and he was going to be okay.

 



bitterpill is the author of 26 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked The Life You Save May Be Your Own also liked 316 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans