- Text Size +
Story Notes:

On the eve of the movie premiere of Brief Interviews with Hideous Men I've decided to post something I've played with for awhile.  Jim Halpert is a fascinating character made all the more interesting and intriguing by his imperfections.  I decided to explore a couple of events in his life in the style of the hideous men interviews.  While I am borrowing shamelessly from the brilliant writers of The Office and the incomparable genius wordsmith David Foster Wallace, it is with the utmost respect, admiration and homage.

I hope the movie is received by audiences with the same passion it was conceived by John Krasinski and David Foster Wallace.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Author's Chapter Notes:

Jim is not a perfect person.

B.I. #115  02-06

Scranton PA

 

I loved her.

 

Q.

This one looked a bit like her, a flashier, perkier, obviously into me version and not that I was really thinking about it consciously or planned it in any way, in one of those random ‘what if?” and “why not?” flashes of brilliance I asked her out.  We dated.  We had fun.  Guys told me how lucky I was to have her and even envied me dating a cheerleader.  They wanted to be me.  I didn’t.  She wasn’t her and I wanted to be with her but she was with him.

 

My heart broke and my spirit shattered.  I dumped the one I was with who wasn’t her, could never be her.

 

Dumped her on a Booze Cruise…in Pennsylvania…in the middle of a lake…in January…

   

B.I. #215  06-07

Scranton PA

 

I told her I was in love with her.  I kissed herShe kissed me back even though she couldn’t.  She was going to marry him anyway.

 

Q.

 I couldn’t be there.  I ran.

 

I ran as far as a man with a shattered heart could run and still remain whole and functioning.  I ran to a place she wasn’t and into arms that were nothing like hers.  She was the opposite of her and I convinced myself I would be able to forget and start over.  She was beautiful, strong, ambitious, fun and she was really into me.  I could do this, I could be someone else.  Without really thinking about it, I let her believe I was someone else.  When I decided to go back to my old world, the world I couldn’t be in and ran away from, she came with me because she thought I was someone else and I let her – I wanted it to be true and I needed her to make it true.  When I got there I let her believe I was happy being someone else with someone else.  I wasn’t but the pretending felt good and I started to believe.  Seeing her hurt the way did felt good too…for awhile.

 

She liked the someone else me and made me even more someone else, someone else who was going places and being more, it was exciting and I thought I could do it, be happy not being ME…with her. 

 

Then she said she missed ME and I knew I missed ME too.  I missed her more.

My heart healed and my spirit soared. 

 

The someone else I’d become left her ...crying…in New York city …by a fountain…without a ride home so the ME I was could run to HER.

 
Chapter End Notes:
Hope the unusal style wasn't too distracting or difficult to read.


jinx is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked A man in love also liked 1410 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans